thing I like: Trader Joe’s just a handful of almonds

Trader Joes almonds in a package

These almonds from Trader Joe’s are my secret snack weapon. They come bundled into individual packages so you can throw a few in your bag on your way out. Then, when you realize you spent, oh, say, three more hours than you intended looking though the dresses at Nordstrom Rack you will have the fuel to keep you upright in the outrageously long line for the dressing room. They also help me from buying the nearest bag of chips when I’m dreading getting stuck in traffic on the way home. They also help me from being tempted to eat peanut butter out of the jar as a snack when I’m at home. They are awesome. Why did it take me so long to find them?

I though I would find them bland as they are unsalted, but I don’t. Each packet is just over 200 calories.

While I’m talking about Trader Joe’s I just want to mention that their frozen Chicken Serenada entree has become a regular backup meal in our fridge. Seriously, we buy them by the dozen. (Don’t get confused and buy the Ensenada, it’s not as good, trust me.) Each serves two and takes precisely long to heat in the oven as it takes to cook rice. I don’t own a microwave, our kitchen is tiny, but they are also microwaveable.

· comments [25] · 02-3-2010 · categories:food ·

• 1 Lauren // Feb 3, 2010 at 5:34 am

*sigh* Trader Joe’s….. I long for it.

You’ve probably already seen this, but it’s worth telling the world about again – the Trader Joe’s song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdB7GDZY3Pk

• 2 Nicole // Feb 3, 2010 at 6:59 am

You say that each packet is just over 100 calories but the picture you posted says each is 210…

• 3 Recycler // Feb 3, 2010 at 7:22 am

Yikes, what about all the waste from the packaging? Trader Joe’s is awesome but so much of their packaging isn’t recyclable. This just goes in the landfill.

On a good note, almonds are an amazing snack!

• 4 Jenn // Feb 3, 2010 at 7:40 am

I love these too! I also have the cashews (but they are not unsalted, I think they are 50% salted).

• 5 KV // Feb 3, 2010 at 8:01 am

What a coincidence, I just had almonds and a diet coke for breakfast.

• 6 Kate F. // Feb 3, 2010 at 8:05 am

These are my favorite–in fact, I have to do TJ’s run today to replenish the supply. Actually, I get the raw ones, which I found were the perfect stave-off-morning-sickness snack. The roasted tasted too much like food, while the raw ones were a little sweet and very mild.

• 7 Bertha // Feb 3, 2010 at 8:07 am

Ooh. I’ve been buying tubs of the Archer Farms unsalted almonds from Target, but I like these in their little individual packets instead!

My Trader Joe’s obsession is their frozen garlic naan. Great with meals & also perfect on their own as a late-night weekend snack. 5 minutes in the oven, done.

• 8 maureen // Feb 3, 2010 at 8:42 am

I keep a little bag of these in the car with me. If I see it dwindle off I go to Trader Joe’s.

• 9 Mary // Feb 3, 2010 at 8:47 am

TJ’s Orange Chicken and Teriyaki Chicken are staples in our freezer! And don’t forget 3 buck Chuck!!! :)

• 10 Hannah // Feb 3, 2010 at 8:55 am

Not to continue to toot the TJ’s horn, but my new find: Edamame Hummos–it’s amazing. Doesn’t make you feel a little bit weird like normal hummos does. It tastes like tangy guacamole, seriously. yum.

• 11 R // Feb 3, 2010 at 9:26 am

I love these too, and, not to be pedantic or anything, but they actually have 210 calories per package. So just over 200 calories.

• 12 megan // Feb 3, 2010 at 9:36 am

Nicole and R – Oops, it’s been fixed. How can you guys even read that?

Recycler – I did think about this and I avoid creating a bunch of waste by not buying food while I’m out. That said, I’ll look into buying bulk almonds and finding a small reusable container instead. I have to say that having the small packets has been a revelation in how satiating a bit of nutrient rich food can be.

• 13 Carrie // Feb 3, 2010 at 9:37 am

Oooh, I’ll have to get these on the next trip to TJ’s. My husband just went gluten-free, and he’s having a hard time finding portable food for work when he’s in between teaching classes. We’ve been meaning to pick up almonds anyway…

Our favorite Trader Joe’s staple is the chimchurri rice. Add some chicken or shrimp, maybe some extra frozen peas or veggies, and you’ve got one very tasty & quick meal! The frozen brown rice is handy and nicely portioned for two, but probably only if you have a microwave.

• 14 SAWII // Feb 3, 2010 at 10:35 am

Don’t forget to pack some for your trip, so no one gets Hangry.

• 15 barrie // Feb 3, 2010 at 10:36 am

i have to agree with whomever talked about the almond packaging. sounds like a lot of waste when you could get a bulk of almonds somewhere else for cheaper, and then put little amounts in a baggie (that maybe you sew up or knit so that it’s washable).

• 16 megan // Feb 3, 2010 at 11:19 am

SAWII – Plans are already in place to bring plenty. There will be no hangry on the plane :)

• 17 Recycler // Feb 3, 2010 at 11:36 am

I agree with you Megan. If getting the individual bags help people eat more nutritiously than they are a good thing. Sometimes we make exceptions because we know we’re being better in other areas, like not buying a bunch of food while you are out.

I love your blog and read every post. You rock!

• 18 Seanna Lea // Feb 3, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I am definitely looking for healthier snack alternatives, because I am getting stupid hungry in the afternoons. The next thing I know I’m rummaging around looking for the emergency chocolate and barely stopping myself. One of these days I won’t be so lucky.

• 19 Design Mom // Feb 3, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Oh man! I sure do miss Trader Joe’s.

• 20 G. // Feb 3, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I feel silly b/c I already commented on TJ’s almond butter, but I had to say that I love their dry roasted unsalted almonds too. I get the big bag. The smallest container here (round) or here (rectangular) works really well for holding some nuts. In person it looks too small to hold a good portion of regular snacks (pretzels, fruit, etc) but it’s just right for things like nuts or granola where a little goes a long way.

I’m totally going to check out the Chicken Serenada next time. I’m on the look out for good backup meals.

• 21 megan // Feb 3, 2010 at 7:43 pm

G – Thanks for the recommendation on small containers!

• 22 TODaZ. « cereal is for lovers // Feb 3, 2010 at 10:46 pm

[…] Sucks, because I really wanted to try these pancakes. Pancakes with spelt flour are so tasty. 5) Also neat. Didn’t realize TJ’s had them! Always looking for ways to conveniently incorporate […]

• 23 Bridget // Feb 4, 2010 at 8:48 am

The part that upsets me about this post is justifying not having a microwave.
    I upgraded to a huge, amazing kitchen when I bought my house last year, and still have never had the urge to go out and get a microwave. I’m eating better because of it.

• 24 megan // Feb 4, 2010 at 9:30 am

Bridget – You’re sweet, but I was trying to preempt the “what? you don’t have a microwave? why not?” questions. I don’t like food that has been heated in microwaves either.

• 25 tara // Feb 4, 2010 at 6:45 pm

We brought these on our trip to Europe last year and they were *key* for sustaining us through all the museums when there was no convenient/cheap food around. But at home I agree about the packaging. I use the small round gladware for all my snacks. They’re the perfect size, they’re airtight so everything stays fresh, and they’re cheap so if you break/lose one it’s no big deal.