what I’ve been up to, in grainy, low-light photos

I’m pulling images off my various picture taking devices. My current on the go camera isn’t so great, so please consider these something more like picture notes:

a small cup of delicious hot chocolate

Spiced hot chocolate from Sweet & Savory, sipped while chatting with Tea. I had also ordered a latte before remembering the hot chocolate so when we parted I was very! caffeinated!

(p.s. Her book The Butcher and the Vegetarian: One Woman’s Romp Through a World of Men, Meat, and Moral Crisis is coming out soon and the book tour kick off event is Feb. 8th at University Bookstore here in Seattle.)

a bold of red and black patterned fabric

This is a reversible black and red fabric I’ve been meaning to make something from. It’s expensive though so until I have a solid idea I just go visit it at the fabric store.

yellow, orange and purple carrots in a roasting pan

blurry picture of Explone on stage

Scott playing bass with Explone at The Crocodile!

Trophy Cupcakes sticker

two cupcakes with coconut

Trophy cupcakes, both coconut themed. The one with swirled icing was a Samoa cupcake, yum.

close up of a light fixture made using food jars

two walls lined with wooden shelves

Light fixture and new wine wall at Delancey. If you live in Seattle and have not eaten there yet I continue to encourage you to do so. Seriously great.

a small, barely pink cocktail

My long time favorite drink, The Jasmine: 1.5 oz gin, 3/4 oz lemon juice (about one half a lemon), 1/4 oz Cointreau, dash of Campari, shaken hard over ice. It’s not sickly sweet (despite being pink) and tastes a bit like grapefruit juice.

Crafty Superstar book

I got a sneak peak of a book Kristen is in, Crafty Superstar, at a meeting of Grassroots. update: You can order an autographed copy (now with swag!) from Crafty Superstar.

olive oil in a glass jar

Olive oil, taken during some rare sunlight.

close up of water droplets caught in moss

Moss growing on top of the map structure on a hike at Cougar Mountain.

a reusable water bottle with illustrated poppies on it

The water bottles at my local market always catch my eye. This poppy design in particular is one I stop to admire.

oversized hood on a shirt

I very deeply hooded shirt at REI that I’d like to make a sweater version of.

red shoes with polka dots

Amy Karol (aka. Angry Chicken) came to town with her book Bend The Rules With Fabric and I got to see some of the items in the book in person. It was great to meet you in person Amy! I also got to meet The Black Apple and ask her all about appearing on the Martha Stewart show. I also got to meet Wise Craft and ask her all about her family’s Komforte Chocolates business. (Ramen Noodle! Tortilla chip and lime! French toast! You love these already.)

two vases shaped like birch trunks, but shiny chrome

Silver faux birch vases on clearance at Joanns that I wish I had bought.

a skirt on a hanger

detail of ribbon detail on skirt, it is sewn down to form flowers

The pictures above are horrible, and I apologize for what they are doing to your eyes, but I really wanted to capture this detail. The skirt here is at Gather in the Columbia City neighborhood of Seattle and I loved it except for the fact that it was wool and, to my sensitive skin, unbearably itchy. So I tried to quietly take pictures of the ribbon detail, which I intend to use on a skirt soon.

waffle piled with brie, bacon and basil

A leige waffle with bacon, brie and basil from Sweet Iron Waffles. I was ready to dislike this restaurant because their website looked suspiciously slick, but the waffles are delicious and they use lots of local ingredients, including Sheherd’s Grain Flour, and use the same super-huge pearl sugar that I used when I made liege waffles. Eaten while having a sanity-restoring visit with Maggi.

me in a mirror wearing a trech coat and boots, mostly all in black

Me trying out new clothes for our trip to Paris during a shopping trip to REI with Scott. We were out to track down the perfect jacket for him. He switched favorites mid way through which resulted in us visiting four stores in one marathon day, but coming home with the grail, I mean jacket. (It was on clearance and unavailable on the website and the madness took hold, we couldn’t stop until we had the object in our hands.)

My lesson from the day? I need to re-learn how to get out of a car while wearing a skirt.

· comments [29] · 02-1-2010 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 vic // Feb 1, 2010 at 6:45 am

Wow – a marathon post. Great update. I love the ribbon on the skirt – think I’m gonna use that myself. Thanks! x

• 2 grace // Feb 1, 2010 at 8:13 am

If you want to get an autographed copy of my book (now with swag!), you can order one directly from me at http://craftysuperstar.com!

• 3 Jessica // Feb 1, 2010 at 8:54 am

uh oh, did you pull a lindsay? :p

Love the photos. Sometimes the “worst” photos are my personal favourites. :) I have yet to make a trip down to try the cupcakes from trophy. Hopefully I can drag the boy south of the border soon.

• 4 amanda // Feb 1, 2010 at 9:28 am

That is a *very* suspiciously slick website from the waffle place — I suspect they purchased a template rather willy-nilly. Also… totally going to make that roasted carrot recipe!

• 5 megan // Feb 1, 2010 at 10:00 am

Grace – Cool, I’ll add that above.

Jessica – No, thankfully! (I was, uh, also wearing several layers under the skirt.) I just realized that I had forgotten to not just throw one leg at a time out of the car. We were in parking lots the whole day so there wasn’t even an accidental line of sight.

Amanda – That said, the actual restaurant was a clean modern design, the people were friendly, and the food was delicious and prepared with care. I highly approve.

Vic – It’s so cute, I couldn’t leave it without getting a picture. The skirt was more of a pencil skirt than an A-line and the ribbon added just a bit of interest.

• 6 Martha // Feb 1, 2010 at 10:51 am

If you love that fabric pattern, it is also available in ribbon (I’ve seen it in St. Paul, MN). This could be a cheaper way to get a bit of detail rather than paying for a big piece of the fabric at $$$.

• 7 homodachi // Feb 1, 2010 at 11:04 am

I just picked up one of those bottles at Powell’s a couple days ago… turns out they’re based in Seattle!

(Next on my list is the red-on-red Japanese Maple bottle)

• 8 shana // Feb 1, 2010 at 12:00 pm

the boots look really great. I am also short… your picture makes them look so good I think I might just buy a pair!!!

• 9 megan // Feb 1, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Shana – I do like the boots, they work on my short legs much better than knee height boots would, and they work well with the length of skirts I’m likely to wear.

If there is an REI store near you you can try on these Tevas, as well as similar height Merrell’s that have a button design up the sides. I also really liked the Lassen boots I had tried on, but the Tevas were slightly less bulky, and looked a bit better peeking out underneath jeans, which I wear a lot.

I like the Tevas but I’m still breaking them in and am paranoid they’ll become less comfortable. I’ll report back once I’m certain how I feel.

• 10 Sara @ Our Best Bites // Feb 1, 2010 at 12:31 pm

What a fun collection of photos. That picture of moss totally caught my eye- it’s beautiful! I suppose it also caught my eye because it was taken on Cougar mountain- that’s where I’m from! Grew up there and my family still lives there. Do you live near there too? Small small world.

-Sara

• 11 Design Mom // Feb 1, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Oh! I love this post, Megan. It’s so fun to get a glimpse of what catches your eye. Very cool.

• 12 Emily Rose // Feb 1, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Every time I go to Nancy’s sewing basket I admire that fabric. Its so pretty!!

• 13 CakeSpy // Feb 1, 2010 at 3:42 pm

You are officially the coolest girl ever. I loved going on a flaneur’s tour de Seattle with you through this post!!

• 14 Laura // Feb 1, 2010 at 11:50 pm

New fan! Apartment Therapy loves your blog and now I do too :) and I love that you’ve in Seattle. Must check out some of the places you mentioned.

• 15 justJENN // Feb 2, 2010 at 12:15 am

Love that jacket…and the carrots!!

• 16 Elana // Feb 2, 2010 at 1:06 am

Paris?! This side of the pond?! Ya wha?!

• 17 carmi // Feb 2, 2010 at 8:25 am

what can you tell me about that fabulous hoodie? i can’t find it on the rei website OR the royal robbins site. i’m getting obsessed. can you help?

• 18 Paola // Feb 2, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I seriously LOVE your photos. Doesn’t matter about the equipment – you have a great eye…

• 19 megan // Feb 2, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Design Mom, Paola, CakeSpy – Thanks, that means a lot :)

Emily Rose – Shhh! I don’t want anybody to know where it is ;)

Elana – Yup, later this month we’re taking a trip.

Carmi – I found it, I’m emailing you the link.

• 20 michelle // Feb 3, 2010 at 1:41 pm

great photos, even if they’re not with your best camera.

Love the idea of the post. I may have to do something similar as a “catch up” since I love taking photos and am not always good with well written posts :)

• 21 Elana // Feb 4, 2010 at 1:03 am

Well, if you have any plans to pop over to Dublin, you’re more than welcome :-).

• 22 Crafty // Feb 5, 2010 at 5:36 am

FANTASTIC photos!
    First visit to your site – and I’ll be back, I have had such a giggle.

It was when I got to this: “I bought fancy carrots for dinner one night. I’m still very much in love with tossing them with olive oil then sprinkling with ginger, cumin and chili powder and roasting them. Never though I’d like eating roasted carrots so much.” That I had to write.
    Oh yum! I’m going through a bit of a carrot addiction at the moment, and your post has inspired me lol!

Thanks :D

• 23 eliz // Feb 6, 2010 at 4:11 pm

BAH – the only way to get into delancey is to go not very hungry (long wait), not expecting to get a table (willing to go repeatedly), on a week night. Been there too many times now (called ahead – no wait) only to have 1.5 hour wait. :(

• 24 megan // Feb 6, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Eliz – I hear you. We’ve been sitting at the bar and the wait has always been minimal. Last time we were there we watched the restaurant go from no wait, to 20 people waiting in about a ten minute stretch, it was amazing. There are places across the street you can grab a drink, and I believe they’ll take your mobile number and give you a call when your table is ready.

• 25 Leah // Feb 7, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Just trying the Jasmine, now – I have all the ingredients, and love gin. Ooohh- I like it! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• 26 megan // Feb 7, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Leah – Yay, I’m glad you like it.

• 27 jenney // Feb 9, 2010 at 8:30 am

Getting out of a car with a skirt: knees together, swing both legs out the door at the same time so that you are facing away from the car. Then, depending on whether your car is high or low, either put both feet on the ground, or put your dominant foot on the step and reach for the ground with your non-dominant foot.

I only wear skirts (I do own one pair of jeans for hiking & gardening and one pair of snow pants) so I have lots of practice! There is indeed a knack.

• 28 rico // Mar 21, 2010 at 8:27 pm

thx for the heads up on sweet iron. yum!

• 29 week in review : hey, love // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm

[...] saw a similar type post over at Not Martha that made me want to look back at the past week, but in pictures. I don’t want to bore [...]