what we ate for dinner last night

Every once in a while I make something to eat that I fear will make my serious food friends shun me forever.

This is one of those things.

I had been musing on how odd a name Chicken In A Biskit is for crackers. My thought process went something like this: Chicken In A Biskit – mmm chicken – chicken and dumplings – ooh chicken IN dumplings. Lo and behold, there is actually a recipe for this. I was sitting in my car in the parking lot of the grocery store looking up recipes on my iPhone when I discovered it. (I mention this as a possible explanation of my next action, which was to buy the ingredients and make this for dinner.)

At the very least I actually got to use our soup plates for something soup related:

chicken in a dumpling

Looking at the recipe you immediately know this was some sort of Pillsbury recipe contest entry, and some Googling that I cannot seem to replicate suggested it might be from 1971. I could be mistaken.

chicken in a dumpling

It is chicken and mushrooms mixed with chive cream cheese and butter, wrapped in premade croissant dough, dipped in more butter, rolled in chopped walnuts and crushed, uncooked herb stuffing mix and served smothered in cream of chicken soup. I know, right? I didn’t really realize what I was making until I got all the ingredients home, and while it was cooking we practiced having heart attacks. Here are some cooked cream cheese and chicken pods:

chicken in a dumpling

But, you ask, how was it? The first bite was really yummy, salty, crunchy and mushy. Perfect comfort food trajectory. The second bite was mostly just salty, with the tang of “it’s not necessarily good but it’s nostalgic” flavor of cream of chicken soup. The remaining bites alternated between the soup or the croissant dough dominating. But I can see the recipes intent and I applaud it. I’m left feeling a little woozy from the sodium and with the flavor of chives lingering in my mouth winning over the wine I’m attempting to eradicate it with. So, no, I don’t really recommend this recipe.

That said, it was really very fun to make.

update: In the comments Jeanmarie pointed me towards this recipe for Cheesy Chicken Muffins made by wrapping dough around chicken and cream cheese filling and baking them in muffin tins. I must make these soon!

· comments [30] · 01-27-2010 · categories:food ·

• 1 Jessica // Jan 27, 2010 at 5:27 am

Thats a shame it wasn’t that great – but that soup looks incredible!

• 2 Lauren // Jan 27, 2010 at 5:35 am

Regardless of the taste, the sight of a crunchy pyramid surrounded by soup is totally worth it.

• 3 kellee // Jan 27, 2010 at 5:45 am

This post is hilarious! I’m reading your blog as a lunchtime treat and am sitting here literally LOLing (there’s no-one around so I don’t look too insane). Kudos for seeing it through to the end and making a heart-seizure-in-a-bowl look so appetizing. I have to pop out and buy lunch now. For some reason, I’m feeling crossiants, cream cheese and chicken…

• 4 Kelly // Jan 27, 2010 at 7:02 am

WOW! that looks insane. i’m thinking it would be perfect for little apps at a 70s throwback party. :)

xo
    Kelly

• 5 Jeanmarie // Jan 27, 2010 at 7:26 am

Coincidentally, another blog I follow posted a recipe for Chicken in Muffins last night!! This might be more what you are looking for…

• 6 Fiona // Jan 27, 2010 at 7:47 am

People in ‘The Real America’ (hee, hee) call them Chicken Roll-ups. The go great with a jello side dish. I’ve been eating these for years and years and…

Let them laugh at us, if they will. They know not what they’re missing.

• 7 Emily // Jan 27, 2010 at 8:17 am

Huh. I might make the biscuit part and leave out the soup. Crushed walnuts? Hell yeah.

• 8 elaine // Jan 27, 2010 at 8:55 am

i think i may have to try this, but with goat cheese in stead of cream cheese so my lactose in tolerant husband can try too.

• 9 Tina // Jan 27, 2010 at 9:09 am

Omit the soup, lightly brush the pastry with butter, if you’re out of walnuts, try crushed croutons. It can also be made with canned chicken in a pinch. I confess I make this once a month, because my extremely picky son will eat it.

• 10 flower mash // Jan 27, 2010 at 9:19 am

Love it. I am tempted break my pescatarian ways just for the experience.

Very fun post.

• 11 megan // Jan 27, 2010 at 10:04 am

Jeanmarie – Oh, yes, that looks good. Thanks so much for sending the link.

Fiona – I found a recipe similar to the one I made that had you spread the chicken mixture onto the un-separated crescent dough then roll it all up like a jelly roll and slice it. I wonder if it was another version of the same dish? I grew up in Ohio eating jello based foods so I’m honestly surprised I never came across chicken roll-ups.

Elaine – I think goat cheese would actually add a lot to the dish, I suspect it would stand up to the other flavors.

Thanks everybody!

• 12 liz stanley // Jan 27, 2010 at 10:04 am

ha, everything i used cream of chicken in a can i think my food snob friends are rolling their eyes…somewhere

• 13 liz stanley // Jan 27, 2010 at 10:05 am

why is my name spelled wrong there? wooooow

• 14 megan // Jan 27, 2010 at 10:13 am

Liz – I went in and fixed the spelling, I hope you don’t mind!

• 15 Seanna Lea // Jan 27, 2010 at 10:41 am

Wow. I would have a heart attack for real! Of course, I shun this because it has chicken, though I’m sure it would be simply foul with tofu!

• 16 GretchenJoanna // Jan 27, 2010 at 10:49 am

This looks really good to me right now–I love chicken and cream cheese and butter and soup! I’m sure we could figure out a way to make it with less salt, and then, from what I gather, it would be even better.

• 17 Marissa // Jan 27, 2010 at 11:42 am

Weird side note….after about 2 months after turning into a pescetarian (at age 8) I ate nearly a whole box of crackers at a friend’s house. Those crackers were called “Chicken in a biscuit” and I found out years later that those things had chicken in them. The last chicken I ever consumed was in cracker form.

• 18 Kate // Jan 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm

This makes me want Crab Rangoon from our cheap Chinese place. :)

• 19 Eliza // Jan 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Whoa! This looks like umami x 10.

• 20 a // Jan 27, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I know a recipe for something my friend called Chicken Squares that calls for mixing cooked chicken, cream cheese and maybe some onion and using it as a filling in canned croissant dough. Not health food either, but damn tasty.

• 21 marnie // Jan 27, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Oh, man, I just commented elsewhere recently that the Pilsbury flavour that permeates every single thing they make is utterly repulsive to me. Only slightly less repulsive is the “spice” in every single Campbell’s soup! This is grody floating in yuck to me!

• 22 vanchocstraw // Jan 27, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Oh my. I mean *ew* my. Michael Ruhlman posted this recipe yesterday for chicken and dumplings which got me craving. Today I made chicken stock, but am totally looking forward to squeezing those dumplings out of the baggie (like icing!) and into the soup:

• 23 megan // Jan 27, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Vanchocstraw – Oh, that looks good!

In other news we made these again since we had half the recipe left over. The second time we used Health Valley Organic cream of mushroom soup and it greatly (well, as much as it could) improved the overall meal. Still, I after this I think it’ll be all made from scratch for a while.

• 24 whitney // Jan 28, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I made chicken squares (http://www.pillsbury.com/Recipes/ShowRecipe.aspx?rid=12362) once for bookclub, and I kind of had the same reactions when eating them. The filling tasted good, and the first few bites of the “square” were okay, but quickly got less appetizing. It didn’t help that I used canned chicken.

• 25 Amy // Jan 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Yum! Looks fabulous. Thanks for the link too:-)

• 26 Danielle // Jan 28, 2010 at 1:46 pm

My Mom used to make Chicken in a Biscuit when we were kids! I can’t remember all the details, but I know fresh (not canned) chicken was used, cream of something soup (cuz it was the 70s) and those Pillsbury crescent rolls. It was a huge hit, but not something I’m planning to recreate anytime soon.

My Mom also used to buy those Chicken in a Biscuit crackers for special occasions – who knew they actually contained chicken?!

• 27 shauna // Jan 28, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I would like to state for the record that, apart from the glutenous nature of these, I would have absolutely no problem sharing these with you. In fact, I might have stolen some from your plate. And then practiced having heart attacks with you.

(You should come over to the island for a visit soon! we’re going to make meat pies for dinner. Now there’s a heart attack waiting to happen.)

yum!

• 28 megan // Jan 28, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Thanks Shauna! The meat pies sound scrumptious. I do hope to see you really soon!

• 29 Alison // Feb 1, 2010 at 4:53 pm

You might prefer the ‘Australian’ version – crispy puff pastry cooked around chicken fillets, stuffed with butter mixed with powdered cream of chicken and mushroom soup mix. Never knew this was a traditional American combination!

• 30 Marty // Feb 9, 2010 at 8:59 am

When I first read the ingredients, I thought to myself that some of the jello molds of the past; green with pineapple and walnuts and maybe cole slaw thrown in for chuckles, would be the side dish that meal begged for. I was born in 1957 and my mother was a Woman’s Club member, always coming home with strange and stranger kitchen ideas.