back from the Altitude Design Summit

I just got back from the Altitude Design Summit where I spoke into a microphone for the first time ever. Here is the microphone in question:

the microphone from the speakers table

It was fantastic to meet the ladies on the panel in person after talking with them in a few conference calls before: Erin from Design For Mankind, Kathryn of Snippet & Ink and Joslyn of Simply Lovely, who was a fantastic moderator, thanks Joslyn.

The hotel was comfortable and so huge I got lost. Three times. I nearly got lost in our room. My roommate was Gayla Trail from You Grow Girl whom I’ve talked with via email for years but had never met in person. I got to look through her new book Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces (coming out February 2nd). That’s her on the cover! For the record Gayla is a most excellent roommate.

Here is part of the view from the room:

a view of a grand building and the mountains beyond

I had been on the fence about getting a better point and shoot camera (I’m not dedicated enough to lug my Canon XSi, which is one of the smaller DSLRs), but after this weekend I have declared one is necessary. My current camera is disappointing with indoor light and I didn’t find myself bothering to pull it out often. I’m still leaning towards the Canon S90, though I plan on taking a look at the cameras recommended in the comments there (thank you, everybody!).

me, nervous before, well rested after

This is me in the elevator on the way down to do the Designing Your Community panel. Before the panel I was a mess of nerves, but somebody (Gayla, I think) told me that after ten minutes I would calm down and it would feel normal. She was right. The next morning I treated myself to a room service breakfast. I look much calmer no?

I was really excited to meet Maxwell from Apartment Therapy, Grace from Design*Sponge and Heather from Dooce (who was sweet enough to sympathize with my nervousness even though she was getting ready to announce her deal with HGTV the very next day) and to get to sit and talk with Jean from NOTCOT (whom I’d met before at the Broad Summit). They all put on an informative and entertaining keynote, no small feat at 8 a.m.

I hear there is going to be an Altitude Design Summit next year, and if you’re interested in going I can say it’s well worth it. I learned a bunch and met a whole lot of people I’d been hoping to, it was positively thrilling.

The goodie bag for the Alt Summit was fantastic, those girls really know how to find sponsors that will treat the attendees well. Everything came in this lunchbag, and they included a luggage tag:

Alt Summit swag

I heard the guys cases had a man on the keychain:

Alt Summit swag

There was an entire bottle of laundry detergent among the things inside:

Alt Summit swag

The bag for a Jimi wallet came stamped with a message:

Alt Summit swag

There were some things from Chronicle books, including a reusable shopping bag:

Alt Summit swag

And some good smelling things from Cambria Cove:

Alt Summit swag

· comments [12] · 01-25-2010 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 barrie // Jan 25, 2010 at 1:09 pm

utah always seems to get a bad rap, but i simply love visiting. that hotel looks amazing. glad to hear it was a success for you. now i’m off to read about dooce as that sounds so exciting for her!

• 2 Meadow // Jan 25, 2010 at 2:28 pm

As a Utahn, and long-time reader of your site (but never commenter), I am glad you enjoyed our state and that the inversion was not too bad.

And, I must concur that Heather/Dooce is fabulous and about the nicest person you could ever meet.

• 3 Aaron // Jan 25, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Hey Megan, I didn’t get a chance to talk to you after your panel, but you did an awesome job – “designing your communities” was one of my favorite panels of the conference. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

Hope to see you next year at Alt!

• 4 Sylvie // Jan 25, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Congratulations on surviving your first time speaking into a microphone! The goodies in the swag bag look like attractive things that one might actually use. And, what an awesome view of the mountains (the Wasatch Mtns, I think?).

• 5 megan // Jan 25, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Aaron – It was great to get to know you, if only briefly, and I do hope to see you next year.

Sylvie – I don’t know, I forgot to look up the mountains while I was standing there :)

• 6 Sarah // Jan 25, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Wow that is a really sweet goodie bag! I think I have stayed at that same hotel for a conference, and yes it is quite amazing and huge. So jealous that you got to hang out with Gayla! I really admire her work.

• 7 regan // Jan 25, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Congrats on the public speaking. It is truly my biggest fear.

Over the holidays I bought the S90 and played with it a few days before deciding that I really wanted the G11. My advice is to buy the S90 from a store with a good return policy so you can play with it for a few days and make up your mind.

• 8 tracy // Jan 25, 2010 at 9:59 pm

GOD i wish i was there! next year..next year!
    soo good to see your face! made my day.

and damn i’m jealous of your loot bag & your roomie situation. fun fun!

• 9 liz stanlely // Jan 25, 2010 at 11:16 pm

you were awesome! so fun to meet you in person

• 10 Alt Recaps « Lilac & Ivy // Feb 8, 2010 at 7:09 am

[...] Not Martha shows off the goodies from our welcome bags. [...]

• 11 CosmoPolitician » Blog Archive » ALT Top 10 // Feb 9, 2010 at 2:33 pm

[...] Here is a great post from Not Martha on the goodness that was THE goodie bag. [...]

• 12 » Guesting: Greedy Girl Takes on Alt. // Sep 8, 2010 at 9:44 am

[...] out some other last words about Alt 2010 here:+ not martha+ Making It Lovely+ sfgirlbybay+ mint Posted by kbeall » guest [...]