boots, decisions

boots, one on each foot

The pairs of boots I wrote about arrived and they are both so nice I had a hard time deciding. But I’m pretty sure I’m going to to with the Teva Montecito boots because they are a little lighter and make my feet feel a little more welcome.

boots, one on each foot

I took some side by side photos to show how the soles on the Lassen Tepic are a little wider, but the soles are also smoother and therefore slippery. I was worried about the Montecitos having a contrasting sole but it’s darker than I expected. The Montecito is narrower in the ankle and I immediately notice that the heel won’t rub as much. And one other really nice thing about the Montecito that I didn’t realize was that the little elastic band that wraps around the back of the boot holds down the zipper pulls so they don’t jingle when you walk. Nice. The Lassen though are very sturdy and I think I would be really happy with them if I didn’t have the Montecito right here to compare. Both have plenty of room in the toes, aren’t heavy, and feel like they wouldn’t take too much time to break in really well. But, neither have removable insoles, which is my last point of hesitation as I like to have the option for my poor, ailing arch support needs. Do I think I could tromp around Seattle (and for ten days Paris) in either pair? I hope so!

· comments [25] · 01-19-2010 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 Abril // Jan 19, 2010 at 6:57 am

My vote goes for Tepic. Enjoy Paris!

• 2 Jennifer // Jan 19, 2010 at 7:45 am

I got a pair of montecitos about a month ago and really like them. I find they are roomy enough to insert my orthotics even though there is no removable insole.

I just wore the boots on a long weekend trip to Washington, D.C. On the end of the second day, I got a small blister between my toes, but this was after lots of walking and a very long day on my feet visiting some of the Smithsonian museums. On the third day, I bandaged my blister and wore the boots without my orthotics to give my toes extra room, and my feet were comfortable. Despite the blister, I was happy with the boots comfort over three days of travel with lots of walking and lots of standing.

• 3 megan // Jan 19, 2010 at 8:18 am

Jennifer – Thanks for the input, my inserts are just Sole and they will definitely crowd the toe. But I might consider getting lower profile Sole inserts for the boots.

• 4 maggie // Jan 19, 2010 at 8:29 am

cute boots … im jealous of your up coming trip to PARIS. good shoes are a must, found out the hard way walking all day in ballet flats over cobble stone streets … UNFORGIVING. do enjoy your holiday. im looking forward to new European food ideas, and craft ideas im sure you’ll bring back.

• 5 Amy // Jan 19, 2010 at 9:24 am

Just found your blog not that long ago. I love the Teva, they have a leaner, less clunky look. Sounds like you are close to that decision as well. Enjoy Paris! Our trip there last September was canceled, and it’s on indefinite hold :(

• 6 Sahara // Jan 19, 2010 at 10:31 am

Standing alone with no one in them, I think I like the Lassens better. But the Tevas are more flattering–less chunky around the ankle. Both will earn you plenty of compliments, I am sure!

• 7 Beth // Jan 19, 2010 at 10:41 am

I like the look of the ones on your left foot, which I think are the Teva. I love Seattle- I’m coming in Feb to visit my daughter! Enjoy your new boots!!

• 8 Beth // Jan 19, 2010 at 10:42 am

tricky- I think they are on the left in one pic from the front and the right in the downward one??

• 9 Hannah // Jan 19, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Having just moved to Seattle, I am quickly learning that a pair of good boots are essential! I was considering the Teva’s before your post, but am curious how they fit around the calf. Are they a tight fit or do they have a little give for my extra big calves? They look great!

• 10 megan // Jan 19, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Hannah – Endless.com lists the Montecito at 14.5 inches around the calf, and that is what I’m measuring my own calf at. For me the boot fits at the top with no room to spare, but it isn’t tight. Endless and Zappos both give boot calf measurements and have a category for wide-calf boots. Also, there are a number of wider-calf recommendations in the comments on my previous boot post.

• 11 stacey // Jan 19, 2010 at 1:31 pm

They look great…. excellent choice!
    You make my day every time you post…thank you!

Kit

• 12 Joy // Jan 19, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I have to strongly recommend the clearance sale going on at nbwebexpress dot com — i just got their fab Greta boots for about 40 bucks, generous calves, new balance quality/support, easy returns. I adore them.

• 13 suswhit // Jan 19, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I love the Tevas — the contrasting sole adds interest. The other have that edge of sole around the foot that makes them look larger. I think the Tevas def have a cooler vibe. The others look like they might be a little tighter around your instep. I wear boots like that almost all fall and winter and the only thing that ever gets sore after a lot of walking is the top of my foot on the boots that are a little tighter there.

• 14 CakeSpy // Jan 19, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I think the teva boots are adorable. I can’t wait to see you traipsing around Paris in them! :-)

• 15 teadosia // Jan 19, 2010 at 4:48 pm

yup Teva Montecito very flattering and cute! That’s my vote.

• 16 megan // Jan 19, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Thanks everybody! Now I just need to obsess over size 7.5? or size 8? (Why do I never remember to order two sizes from Zappos at the same time?)

• 17 Heather M K // Jan 20, 2010 at 9:57 am

I purchased the Teva Montecitos about a month ago for a 10-day trip out to the west coast & they were my go-to boots almost every single day. I love them soooooo much. They never chafed. They took no time at all to break in. They are gorgeous in design. They are comfy for many miles of walking. AND, I will continue to wear them now that I am back home in Minnesota. They are my new faves for work & play.

• 18 Lori K // Jan 20, 2010 at 10:00 am

An awful thing has happened at Juniper Moon Farm and Susan needs our help. Please go check her website: http://www.fiberfarm.com/2010/01/the-dark-side-of-farming.
    (I hope this isn’t inappropriate. I learned about her site here.)

• 19 Jen // Jan 20, 2010 at 10:02 am

So I’m an orthotic technician, as in I make the things you put in your shoes (as well as limb braces… just a little aside to educate: orthotic (adjective,) orthosis (noun) includes all kinds of braces. Limbs, spine, neck, etc, not just feet). A little known fact is that in most shoes, the non-removeable insoles are just held down by a very minimal amount of glue, so if you’re brave, you can take a wide flat head screw driver to give you leverage and pry it out and replace it with your favourite off-the-shelf arch-support or foot orthosis. Or, if you’re getting custom foot orthoses/”FOs” (I know, everyone, even me, says foot orthotics, even though orthotic is an adjective) fitted, they can and should pry out the original insole in most cases and fit the FO to your footwear. Though we will mutter about cramming our hands into non-lace up footwear like boots ;)

Oh, since you’re already wondering about size, you might try the bigger size with your Soles on top of the boot’s own insole if you’re scared of prying them out yourself.

• 20 czl // Jan 20, 2010 at 3:42 pm

The Merrell Tetra Launch boots (at REI & Nordstrom) are worth looking at. I tried them and the Tevas and went with the Merrells. They’re COMPLETELY waterproof. I mean it. I walked through ankle-deep puddles without feeling a drop. And they’re comfy enough to walk around in. Have fun!

• 21 Suswhit // Jan 20, 2010 at 8:05 pm

:-) I have the Tetra Launch boots, too. I can vouch for their comfort and they are indeed waterproof. Mine are on the large side which I like because I’m newly addicted to Smart Wool socks.

• 22 Jessica // Jan 21, 2010 at 6:43 pm

When I needed boots for an upcoming trip, I ordered a bunch of pairs from Zappos (multiple sizes). I think there were like ten pairs of boots in the box (I may be exaggerating…) and not one pair fit!

I thought I was being smart by ordering multiple sizes and instead, I was just a little bit mortified taking that great big box back to the post office. I vowed never again to buy boots online that day, but now I’m thinking I might just have to try again. It’s only been 4+ years, after all ;-).

• 23 stephanie // Jan 21, 2010 at 7:49 pm

i love the boots on your left foot!

• 24 ilse // Jan 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm

i vote for the tevas!

• 25 sioux // Jan 23, 2010 at 6:20 am

the tevas are way more flattering! i just got some kick a** timberlands from piperlime – but i’m not brave enough to commit to them yet and wear them outside my home!!