considering boots

I’ve been looking for some boots. I’ve been doing a lot of people-wearing-boots watching and decided I’d like some mid-height boots, but it hasn’t stopped me from finding some pairs I really wish I could justify. Or that would fit around my calf.

black boots black boots

I’ve ordered the Teva Montecito (though I’m a bit unsure about the contrastiing sole) and the Lassen Tepic boots. Both look comfortable and like I could walk for days in them.

black boots black boots

But if I could have I think these La Canadienne Tahra boots would be fantastic, the heel isn’t too high and I like the Victorian style. However the calves in these are far too skinny for me. Hang on, I thought these were the pair that had a 10.5 inch circumference. These would fit me, but the price + practicality means I probably won’t get them. The Miz Mooz Amelia Button Boot is also cute, but the heel is just high enough to be impractical. (Swoon, they also come in red.)

black boots black boots

I’ve also been looking at the Miz Mooz Harlem boots because they are flat but still have some attitude, and the Miz Mooz Marissa boots because they have the faux buttons all the way up but a nice flat sole.

While looking at boots I’m not forgetting that people in the world who are in desperate need of help. If you’d like to send some money to help those in Haiti you can text “HAITI” to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross, and Savory Sweet Life, The Pioneer Woman and Thursday Night Smackdown are donating a dime for each comment left on those blogs. So awesome.

· comments [45] · 01-15-2010 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 Cynthia // Jan 15, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I feel your boot lust. I have the Keen Chamonix boot and they were fantastic straight out of the box. Two years later they are just as comfortable and have stood up to Vancouver rain like little troopers. Plus, I get lots of compliments on them with pants tucked in or tights. I am awaiting my new Frye Veronica Slouch boots. Frye has many great styles with low heels and, though they are more expensive, they last forever.

Canadians should remember that the federal government is matching donations to charities supporting the relief efforts in Haiti. There are lots of good ones to choose from.

Thanks for reminding your readers, Megan.

• 2 Allie // Jan 15, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I have boots very similar to these (http://www.zappos.com/dansko-bella-black-nappa) and I’m obsessed!

• 3 Kristy // Jan 15, 2010 at 12:24 pm

If you love the Miz Mooz boots with the heels, you should check out some of the boots Fluevog has. They are not cheap either, but so cute. I can attest that the “minis” series is actually quite comfortable for heels – I have the “Gorgeous” shoes and they are the only heels I wear.

• 4 Michelle // Jan 15, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Is there greater disappointment than discovering the red Miz Mooz boots are not available in my size?

• 5 Kate // Jan 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I second the Fluevog love. Their stuff is well worth the price.

• 6 Jenagain // Jan 15, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I love the Rieker boots. So comfortable. Check out the Sheila 54 or Sarah styles. Cute victorian heel!

• 7 Kate // Jan 15, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Right there with you on the wide-calf frustration. A couple of years ago, I finally found a pair I could wear at Fred Meyer of all places. Great Northwest brand. They had wide panels of elastic on the backside. They are still pretty snug but at least I can wear my knee boots up to my knee!

• 8 barrie // Jan 15, 2010 at 1:29 pm

i’ve only heard amazing things about the miz mooz, especially the fact that they are very comfortable to walk around in. one girl told me she walked from ballard to downtown (which is a trek regardless what footwear you have on) and didn’t have a blister in sight!

• 9 Seanna Lea // Jan 15, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Those all look pretty amazing. I recently bought boots, but I bought mine for warmth first and style second. I would love a pair of knee high boots, but the ones I like are all imports from England from when I spent hours on boot lust.

• 10 abby // Jan 15, 2010 at 2:28 pm

: ) A few months ago I ordered those Miz Mooz Marissas. Love them. They’re a little slouchier than I thought they’d be, so I don’t imagine you’ll have any calf-fitting issues.

• 11 Renai // Jan 15, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I have these boots and really love them:

They’re insanely comfortable, fit over jeans, are very well made, and I get compliments on them constantly!

• 12 Kim // Jan 15, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I have the Teva Montecitos in brown and I LOVE them. They are beyond comfortable (with a SuperFeet insole…). I want them in black too, but like you – I’m a little concerned about the cork sole. It definitely makes them a casual boot.

• 13 herschel // Jan 15, 2010 at 2:39 pm

i also have calf fit issues. rockports and guess are good brands for an athletic calf.

zappos, piperlime, and dsw also let you search for wide calf boots.

• 14 michelle // Jan 15, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Another brand that has good wider-calf options (without charging you an arm & a leg) — Bare Traps. Got mine at DSW and they’re the first pair that have ever fit me really well. Plus, they’re comfy to wear all day long, several days in a row.

• 15 Brianna // Jan 15, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I have the teva’s that you just ordered. I was dubious about the contrasting sole at first too. But I really needed a pair of cute boots that were good for the rain. I love them now. The side button is really adorable. I get complimented on them all the time and people are always surprised when I tell them that they’re tevas.

• 16 Kay // Jan 15, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Fluevog has good sales – we walked by the Seattle store (yay! we’re back in the Seattle area) and there were sale signs in the window. I’ve just been wearing rain boots but they lack support.

Speaking of support, I heard (from a reliable source) that the text message donations don’t go through til you pay your phone bill – still though, everything helps! I did a lot of “donation match” searching and was SO impressed with Canada. Design Within Reach and someone else did one here but they hit their limits. Hopefully there will be more companies to follow.

• 17 Sarah // Jan 15, 2010 at 3:04 pm

It doesn’t really sound like you need more boot ideas, but I have to give a shout out to Wolky. I found a pair of them similar to these:
    at Sierra Trading Post for about $80.00, and I’ve worn them every day since. They are the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever had–better than Camper, Born, etc. I used to have calluses on the back of my heel and I don’t anymore. Generous calf opening, too.

And thanks for urging people to donate to relief efforts in Haiti.

• 18 Sarah // Jan 15, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I got the Teva Montecito’s a few weeks ago and have barely taken them off. So comfortable! They’ve even held up well in crazy cold Wisconsin snow. The soles used to contrast more, but aren’t as noticeable now that I sprayed them with waterproofing stuff.
    They go with just about anything and I’ve even had strangers stop me on the street to tell me how much they like my boots.

• 19 Lynn in Tucson // Jan 15, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Thanks for these (and your commenters’) suggestions. I’ve been on a boot quest myself lately. I fell in love with these: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7563409/c/69784.html but I don’t think I’m tall enough to pull them off!

• 20 Nicole // Jan 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm

A cobbler (hard to find these days ) can stretch the tops of over the calf boots. It’s not expensive – $15.

You can also do it yourself with the boot forms and rubbing alcohol on the inside. If I need to stretch a little I attempt this myself.

• 21 Hazel Stone // Jan 15, 2010 at 4:46 pm

One of my friends (in Minnesota no less) swears by the La Canadienne boots. They wear like iron, are waterproof and are cute as hell.

• 22 Anna // Jan 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I’ve got the Amelia boots, and you’re right about the heel. They’re super cute, though.

• 23 AnEmily // Jan 15, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I just bought some Lassen boots on 6pm.com. I highly recommend checking their prices-mine were only $47!

• 24 Sara // Jan 15, 2010 at 7:21 pm

What about the Merrell Tetra Launch? I have my eyes on the brown ones…

• 25 Jenn Glass // Jan 15, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Have you tried Duo Boots? (www.duoboots.com) They’re based out of the UK, and while not cheap, they have some fantastic options. The make their boots to fit a wide range of calf circumferences, and after searching for literally years I stumbled across their site and was finally able to find something that fit my ginormous calves. They are very high quality and can see them lasting for years, and years.

• 26 mel // Jan 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Ooh, great post. A few months ago, I went into pretty much every shoe store in Southcenter and could only find one pair of plain black boots (from Clarks) that fit over my calves – but after wearing them for a day, they weren’t as comfy as I initially thought, so they went back to the store. I also got a pair from Zappos and another from Endless, neither of which fit over my calves. Very disappointing. I’m definitely going to look through everyone’s recommendations!

• 27 Lauren // Jan 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Fun! I just got some winter boots (Uggs were definitely not warm enough!) and its always a process =D.

• 28 Karen // Jan 15, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I am actually wearing those La Canadienne Tahra boots right now and they are SO comfy. I had been stalking them for 2 years at various online and local stores and they *finally* went on sale a couple weeks ago at Browns (Canadian shoe retailer). Still pricey at $199 Canadian, but well worth it IMHO.

• 29 justJENN // Jan 15, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Oh I love them all!

• 30 anna // Jan 16, 2010 at 6:20 am

I don’t get the calf thing either, I have relatively thin legs and even I’m finding some of these zip-up boots way too snug over the calf.

YES to the contrasting sole! I just got some like this and I love them :)

• 31 betty // Jan 16, 2010 at 6:49 am

check out sergio tomani boots if you can find them in seattle (or maybe in paris on your trip), they are the most comfortable boots i’ve ever worn!

• 32 dani // Jan 16, 2010 at 9:58 am

I have those La Canadienne boots in brown and have regretted not buying the black since I wear more black. They are the most comfortable boots, perfect heel size and go with skirts and pants. AND they are waterproof, which is a must in Canada with the snow. (At least where I am from).

I couldn’t justify buying the same style in another colour at the price I paid, but seeing as I’ve been looking for black boots for two years now and those have come down in price, I’m going to get them!

• 33 nia // Jan 16, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Check out LA Canadeinne on 6pm.com 70% off today!!

• 34 marnie // Jan 16, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I have those Miz Mooz in red and I have to say they are the most comfortable boots ever. I bought them in October and pretty much wore them every day until the snow started. I don’t drive, and I walk all over all the time, and never had a problem with the hell. Seriously, if you like the way they look, I wouldn’t let a couple inches stand in your way!

• 35 Storme // Jan 16, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I love all these boot suggestions! I’ve been looking to replace some vintage ‘old lady’ rubber boots that are wearing out and these Marc boots were the closest I could find

But if there are taller options that might fit my unfortunately large calves, then even better! :)

• 36 EastportBride // Jan 16, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Duo. Custom-circumference boots. Need I say more? They come from the UK, so with the exchange rate can be a little pricey, but for a plus-sized gal like me, this is the only way to get tall boots to fit around my calves. And they are very very comfortable. I love them. They shipped lightening fast, too (albeit to the eastern US–might take a bit longer to get to Seattle) http://www.duoboots.com

• 37 Shelley // Jan 16, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I just got boots by Lassen and my only regret is that I didn’t get them in two colors…You’re going to LOVE them!

• 38 Jessie // Jan 17, 2010 at 1:16 am

I have really big calves, too, that are quite disproportionate from my size 8.5 feet, and I’ve found boots at Torrid.com that fit really, really well. They’re also quite affordable; they run around $60-ish.

• 39 jo // Jan 17, 2010 at 10:26 am

I have the dansko risa boot in black. It is by far the best boot I have ever owned. Looks great with dresses or pants, you can wear them over skinny jeans, or under slacks. And fabulously comfortable. Seriously, I am a teacher and on my feet all day and my feet are happy at the end of the day. Even wore them sightseeing for a 10 hour walking day. Love ‘em!

• 40 Jen // Jan 17, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I have long lusted after taller boots that don’t fit around my calves, but I’ve decided that when I eventually find a pair of boots that suit my picky picky tastes, I will take them to a shoe repair place have a gusset or something put in so that they’ll fit me. So now in addition to my picky picky tastes, I have to look at the construction of the seams.

I would also like to advocate giving regularly, year round, to a charity that funds/participates in disaster relief as a matter of course. At least some of the money that we try to direct to a specific disaster won’t end up there, plus, there are disasters all the time that don’t make the news, not that the magnitude of the disaster in Haiti is anything to sneeze at. This applies to blood donation, too.

• 41 lindsey clare // Jan 17, 2010 at 5:09 pm

ahhhh super cute boots! i can never find great boots over here in Sydney. those Amelia boots are pretty much perfect!

• 42 Emily // Jan 18, 2010 at 7:49 am

I love the Lassen boots! I live in Florida and only have a need for tall boots every once in a while but I still have a pair left over from my years up North…they’re definitely out of style now though and could use replacing. I’m thinking these may be just the thing!

• 43 Jillian // Jan 18, 2010 at 9:32 am

I bought the Nine West Fiddler boot earlier this year in black. I found them for half off by doing a search on Froogle, and they were well worth it. They have a similar look to the last pair you posted, and I absolutely love them. They are roomy at the top and I think they are comfortable they way they are, though adding insoles would only make them better.

• 44 mamichan // Jan 19, 2010 at 11:09 am

i know you already ordered, but La Canadienne. SO WARM! I’ve had mine 2 years now and they’re still going strong. Totally worth the price IMHO.

• 45 Leslie // Feb 2, 2010 at 11:41 pm

I have the Miz Mooz Janessa in Cognac. It matches EVERYTHING!! and very comfy, even with a heel.