links: beauty

Hair Share – Pump Up the Volume in Fine Hair : Hair Thursday. A recommendation for Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion, I must try this stuff.

Winter hair woes. | Ask MetaFilter.

· comments [10] · 01-14-2010 · categories:beauty · links ·

• 1 Anna // Jan 14, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Gah! Aveda Pure Abundance shampoo and conditioner is amazing, and the powder is truly magical, but it walks the razors edge of making my hair super greasy and gross, so be careful. Also, don’t shake the bottle or it will somehow turn into cement, I don’t even know how that happens, but it does.

• 2 Mary // Jan 15, 2010 at 12:23 am

I’ve used a similar product called OSIS Dust-it Mattifying Powder by Schwarzkopf; a hair thickening/volumizing powder. It makes my scalp feel sort of grimy so its definitely not something I use daily. In fact, it’s sort of a pain to wash out thoroughly!

• 3 SAWII // Jan 15, 2010 at 2:52 pm

The hair powder is super wierd… like Anna says… and it was only gross in my hair, but I also swear by the Pure Abundance Shampoo & Conditioner.

• 4 Leah // Jan 15, 2010 at 8:32 pm

The powder was weird for me. It worked for one day like magic and then… nothing for the next 2 weeks as I tried it every day (after shampoo/conditioner). Frustrating! I have super thin, super fine hair. (If only I had been in high school in the 70′s and not the 80s when I permed the heck out of it in a futile attempt to look like Simone from Saved by the Bell…)

Anyway, my fave rave is for Paul Mitchell Extra Body line. I get people asking me what i use because my hair actually looks like it exists, now. :) Pure abundance shampoo/conditioner works wonders too, but only for a while. I have found my best strategy is to use one line for a week (either Aveda or PM) then use a clarifying shampoo (Origins No Deposit is awesome!), then switch lines. My hair seems to need different things to trick it into being something it’s not. :)

• 5 Joyce in Chicago // Jan 15, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I have big success with the Potion, but there was a learning curve. Start sparingly at the roots, see how you like it, do more from there. Also, don’t let it freeze, because it changes the texture.

• 6 Laura W. // Jan 17, 2010 at 10:17 am

We call the potion our hair crack because it’s so good. I use it everyday and love it. Just be careful and only tap (I use three taps) the bottom of the bottle. If you shake it, you’ll liquefy it (I learned the hard way.).

• 7 Molly // Jan 19, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I loved Aveda’s defining whip for years…worked wonders on my short, straight, fine hair. It seems they’ve changed the formula and now my hair looks wet when I use it. I do have the Potion and love it, but a little goes a long way. If anyone has suggestions for something similar to Aveda’s old defining whip, I’d love ideas.

• 8 amy // Jan 19, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I also use Osis powder. It’s about $20 for a small bit but you don’t need much at all. It def. makes your hair feel “dirty” so it’s kinda strange but works for volume! It also absorbs oil a bit; I don’t always wash my hair daily so it helps me twofold when I pull it off my face on those days…may try this or some of the other suggestions next.

• 9 Natalie // Jan 20, 2010 at 4:15 pm

The potion made my hair feel dirty, almost grimy. The product itself works exactly as it should, but I couldn’t deal with the texture.

I’ve found that using phomolient was the best way to get volume without the gross feeling, but it requires conditioner daily to keep your hair soft.

• 10 Carmen // Jan 20, 2010 at 9:06 pm

O. M. G. I L-O-V-E the Aveda Hair Potion! I call it the Bump It Powder!