links: food

Non-Sugary Cookies | Ask MetaFilter.

everybody likes sandwiches: fill’er up: cinnamon oatmeal waffles.

shelterrific » Blog Archive » spring wedding? try appetizers in the garden.

What tastes like black tea or pure tobacco? | Ask MetaFilter.

Cinnamon Toast Recipe | Simply Recipes. It seems obvious, but I can tell you my family did this: butter the bread, sprinkle on a 1:6 cinnamon:sugar mixture, then broil until the sugar is just starting to melt. Crunchy cinnamon toast with a still soft underbelly was very good indeed.

How to Learn Something New Everyday « Pink of Perfection. Just before I read this post I was listening to a lecture on the radio. It was a lecture given, for free, at the Seattle Town Hall and I was thinking I should up my smarts by attending them. I feel smarter already.

The Best Kitchen Gadgets of the Year: bonappetit.com.

Delicious Low-Calorie Chicken Dinner: bonappetit.com. I’m looking for something that will be like Trader Joe’s frozen Chicken Serenada entrees that have become a staple lazy night dinner in our house.

7*7 Favorites of 2009: No.2 – New Kitchen tools » delicious:days.

La Cerise: The croquembouche project.

What to Drink in 2010 : A wine, beer, and cocktail forecast – CHOW. Two recommendations for Washington wines that are note “jammy, overripe bludgeons”. Thank you.

Cakespy: Deep-Fried Cupcakes on a Stick | Serious Eats : Recipes.

· comments [10] · 01-12-2010 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Nicola // Jan 12, 2010 at 7:06 am

we toasted our bread first, slathered it in butter, and dumped a cinnamon/sugar mixture on top. The cinnamon and sugar mixture ratio varied from month to month, as whoever had to refill the container usually eyeballed it. I loved biting into the wet, buttery sugary goodness.

• 2 Renai // Jan 12, 2010 at 10:44 am

I’m with Nicola- we always toasted our bread first, then buttered and sugared. I’m very tempted to try it your way now, though!

• 3 Lia // Jan 12, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Toasted, buttered (lots and to every edge) then cinnamon from a spoon, then sugar. I tried the pre mixed stuff – but it was not as good as my over the years honed skill with the spoon. I do want to try broiling it to get some sugary crunch.

• 4 Seanna Lea // Jan 12, 2010 at 3:53 pm

My family did it the same way as Nicola’s. I love cinnamon toast. It is one of the first of many interesting eating processes I developed (like eating all of the edges off of my waffle before going to the center).

• 5 katy // Jan 13, 2010 at 5:14 am

one of your best lists ever, megan. thanks!

• 6 Nicola // Jan 13, 2010 at 10:32 am

I am glad I am not the only family who did it that way; I was worried we were a bunch of bums. Seriously, I did not know what a broiler was for for years; we used it to hold pots and pans. I thought it was just a drawer in your stove.

• 7 The Revolutionary // Jan 13, 2010 at 10:45 am

Thank you for that “What to Drink in 2010″ link. I always love good drink suggestions, as the ol’ ‘gin and tonic’ gets boring.

• 8 Karin // Jan 18, 2010 at 4:58 pm

This is really random, but I don’t feel like making an Ask Metafilter account… Is there any chance you could post about the tobacco? Thai Tea tastes just like tobacco to me. Not the smokey gross tobacco, but that very first sweet, earthy note. I usually get this pre-packaged Thai tea that you just add water to. I think it’s pretty common at Asian specialty stores.

• 9 megan // Jan 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Karin – The Ask Metafilter question wasn’t mine, so all I can do is encourage you to read the thread there. I just linked to it because I like the smoky, earthy parts of Scotch.

• 10 DP // Jan 24, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Try using ground cardamon instead of cinnamon for another equally delicious breakfast treat. I use an old cinnamon spice container – the kind with the perforated holes on the top. Fill it about 1/3 w cardamon and the rest sugar. Toast the bread, butter, and sprinkle with this mixture. By the way, you can often get ground cardamon really cheap in the spice bins at your local co-op.