cast iron skillet to cook pizza

pizza cooked in a heated cast iron skillet

Maybe I don’t need a pizza stone after all. Last night we made pizza and since I really, really wanted to make sure the dough cooked all the way through (this time) I decided to cook it in our large cast iron skillet that had I heated in the oven and slid the pizza into to cook, around 450 degrees. I was thinking of Cinnamon as I was pulling out the skillet as she is currently doing the final edits on her cast iron cook book. (You go!)

This pizza is spicy Italian sausage, kale and leftover fresh mozzarella. It could have used a bit more garlic, a note for next time.

· comments [61] · 01-7-2010 · categories:food ·

• 1 Fred E. // Jan 16, 2010 at 6:47 pm

If you are having trouble with the pizza sticking, sprinkle a little cornmeal in the pan before putting in the dough.

• 2 Top 10 Clever Kitchen Repurposing Tricks [Lifehacker Top 10] « Credit card // Jan 17, 2010 at 7:21 am

[…] good for more than just scrambles and stir-fries. The Not Martha blog details how it can be used to cook a small pizza—the perfect size for when it’s just you and another eater, and a large pizza from the […]

• 3 Top 10 Clever Kitchen Repurposing Tricks :Xero Wire // Jan 19, 2010 at 4:42 am

• 4 Austoon Daily » cast iron skillet to cook pizza // Jan 19, 2010 at 1:37 pm

[…] cast iron skillet to cook pizza Comments (0) […]

• 5 sausage guy // Jan 19, 2010 at 5:24 pm

did you precook the italian sausage as well?

• 6 megan // Jan 19, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Sausage Guy – We did, if only to mix it with more crushed pepper because the sausage itself wasn’t as spicy as we’d hoped. The pizza cooked so quickly I think precooking the sausage would have been necessary.

• 7 Angie // Jan 21, 2010 at 10:52 am

How clever! I will definitely be doing this with my next pizza, great idea!

• 8 SarahM // Jan 21, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I had no idea you could do this! I love my cast iron and will definitely try this! Love it.

• 9 Barkcookware // Feb 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I would have never considered using it for pizza I’ve used it for about every thing else I’ll have to give it a try. I think that it is the most durable and long lasting cookware out there even when it has been abused it can be brought back to life with a little tender loving care. Try abusing a non stick, enamel coated, all clad or stainless steel cookware and you might as well chuck it. I know of cast iron skillets and Dutch ovens that have been passed down through 2 generations and are know in the hands of the 3 generation and are still a pleasure to cook in.

• 10 Lindsay // Mar 3, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I just tried this tonight with a white pizza, and it was awesome. I can only make a one person pizza, but ummmmm… so good. I cooked it about 10 minutes. I think it replaces grilled pizza as my favorite, which is a lot to say, and quite unfortunate given that the weather is turning warmer and I won’t heat up the oven that hot :)

• 11 Billy // Jun 18, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I never thought about putting kale on a pizza but what a great idea with the sausage! I would have to say that everything can use a bit more garlic. :)