Not Martha

links: craft

How to stencil with freezer paper | How About Orange. blog : Free Coin Purse Pattern From Cotton And Cloud.

Cloudy Crochet: Brioche Stitch Explained. Thank goodness.

Where on Earth can you find BORING fabric? | Ask MetaFilter.

· comments [5] · 01-5-2010 · categories:craft · links ·

5 responses so far ↓

  • 1 Seanna Lea // Jan 5, 2010 at 3:23 pm

    I bought freezer paper months ago to do nifty stencils and I never got around to doing anything with it. Thanks for the handy reminder (and the super easy tutorial).

  • 2 paola // Jan 5, 2010 at 3:35 pm

    Re. the Brioche stitch thing – it’s worth remembering that in UK knitting patterns (and elsewhere as well?) there is no such thing as a ‘yarn over’ just a ‘yarn forward (yfwd)’ which means bring the yarn forward to the front of the needle as if to purl.

    It ends up having the same effect, but I do find it to be a more logical way to think about it, and it might make other patterns (particularly those translated from European patterns) more comprehensible.

  • 3 megan // Jan 5, 2010 at 3:57 pm

    Paola – Interesting. For me “yarn forward” is used to describe something different in knitting patterns (ex: “with the yarn forward slip two stitches…”). A yarn over, to me, describes a single stitch object. Though, I do think the knitting world could use a glossary of terms that all mean the same thing — like tubular/kitchener/invisible/sewn/grafted bind-off all essentially being the same thing.

  • 4 paola // Jan 5, 2010 at 11:50 pm

    Actually, now I think about it, we wouldn’t talk in terms of of A yarn forward – we’d just say yfwd k1 or whatever. It’s not a stitch object, but just an instruction as to where to place your yarn (as in your example above). In fact we have different terms for where to place the yarn such as yrn (yarn round needle) and yon (yarn over needle) depending on whether we’re creating a yarnover between purl stitches, knit and purl stitches etc. This blog post explains it all very well

    I think what happens is that when patterns are translated from British to American just subsitute yo for yfwd willy nilly which leads to confusion as with the Brioche stitch.

    And yes, I completely hear you about the glossary of terms. And don’t get me started on British and American crochet terms….

  • 5 megan // Jan 6, 2010 at 10:52 am

    Paola – Thanks for the link, I’ve been liking more and more British patterns lately.

Leave a Comment