what I want for Christmas: travel gear

I have the extraordinary luck to be headed to Paris in a few months. I’ll need a few things before I go.

Monoprice iPhone charger Flexicord USB cord

I’m terrified of being without my iPhone for any length of time, even just for the books and games that will amuse me on long flights or train rides. This $15 iPhone charger is one I mentioned earlier, and it also made the Holiday Gift Guide for Geeks written by Mighty Girl. It gives two full charges. I might buy four. I’m also eyeing the Flexicord which I found over at NOTCOT, it’s a flexible USB cord that can work as a stand for your phone, and I’m betting it will prop up an iPhone well enough to allow me to watch movies. (Flexicord image used is from from NOTCOT.com.)

Bucky neck pillow for the airplane Bucky eye mask, my favorite

I already have one of these Bucky Ultralight masks but I’ll need another since Scott likes it too. I’m also going to get a Bucky Neck Pillow, previously I’d bought an inflatable pillow and it didn’t work out so well.

The Sweet Life in Paris Clotildes Edible Adventures in Paris Rick Steves Paris 2010

I will need books! Besides the Rough Guide to Paris I’m looking at The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World’s Most Glorious – and Perplexing – City, to get myself in the right mindset, and Clotilde’s Edible Adventures in Paris, because I anticipate eating as much as possible while I’m there. And of course, I’ll have to get the PNW’s own Rick Steves’ Paris 2010. Oh neat, they are all available for the Kindle, I wonder if they would look ok on my iPhone’s Kindle app?

· comments [23] · 12-15-2009 · categories:iphone · shopping ·

• 1 Andrea // Dec 15, 2009 at 7:47 am

Since you’ve been a very, very good blogger this year, I’m certain Santa will accomodate your wish list. I CANNOT wait for the blogs from your trip – oh la la!

• 2 Michelle // Dec 15, 2009 at 9:10 am

Green with envy. ENJOY!

• 3 Entropy's Bitch // Dec 15, 2009 at 10:27 am

We went this past fall. There are a couple of things you need to know.
    You don’t need to get your picture before you get your metro card.
    If you rent an apt, getting the deposit is a major damn hassle, but an apt is nice to have.
    Beware of the TechnoParade! hahah! Srsly, look and see what festivals are going on, because it can impact what you are able to do.

• 4 M.E. // Dec 15, 2009 at 12:34 pm

More books! Utterly useless for actual travel, but might get you in the mood?

Paris Out of Hand by Karen Gordon.
    (Not a very serious rec, but a fun book!)

Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik; essays by a writer for the New Yorker who lived in Paris for the last half of the 1990s. He does talk about the Luxo (park) and Deyrolle (a really nifty old taxidermy and natural sciences shop) a lot, though….

• 5 Natalie Mikolajczak // Dec 15, 2009 at 12:51 pm

We went to Paris twice in 2009 (not that we could afford it either time !)
    The most indispensable tool I found for my iPhone was a Paris metro map. You don’t need to access the internet or anything to use it, it just is on your phone. I believe the name of the map is “Paris Geo”. But if you search Paris metro, I’m sure you’ll find it.
    Our first trip, we stayed in hotels, second trip, an apartment in the Marais that was the most perfect location. I couldn’t have wished for a better location.
    Bon Voyage!

• 6 Natalie Mikolajczak // Dec 15, 2009 at 12:54 pm

p.s. not sure if it will be warm enough when you go, but our first trip in April, we did a bike tour with Fat Tire to Giverny, and our trip in October, we did a bike tour to Versailles. Well worth it.

• 7 stella // Dec 15, 2009 at 1:14 pm

If you’re bringing your iPhone, you should definitely check out the mPassport Paris app (I think it’s still on sale for free).

• 8 Kate // Dec 15, 2009 at 2:04 pm

You should take Lucy Knisely’s French Milk!

• 9 MegnificentMade // Dec 15, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Can I suggest the Paris City Walks cards?

I’ve been to europe and had a set of these for all the cities I visited. They’re great! Each card revolves around a metro stop and gives you a mini map for the area around the stop and what food/shopping/attractions are in that area. If you’re spending the day in a certain part of the city just take those ones for the day. They’re easy to throw in your bag and give great tips if your out already and want to know whats around you.

• 10 megan // Dec 15, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Thanks to everybody for these suggestions. Excellent!

Kate – How could I have forgotten? Of course!

• 11 Melissa // Dec 16, 2009 at 12:47 am

For fun, you may want to read (or re-read) “A Moveable Feast”.

• 12 Danielle // Dec 16, 2009 at 3:39 am

Seth and I leave for Paris on Saturday, and we have every single one of those books! You are going to have a great time.

• 13 KarWar // Dec 16, 2009 at 6:49 am

any trip longer than a week, you might need to do some sink laundry, I have this and it is pretty clever

and you might like this tiny, travel, mini-straightener that has worldwide dual voltage, just need the France-type socket adapter. so cute! and comes with a heat resistant pouch so you can throw it back in your suitcase, still hot. and I don’t work for amazon :)

• 14 Monica // Dec 16, 2009 at 10:05 am

Clotilde’s book was indispensable while I was in Paris. The places that we went to because we were hungry and found ourselves were never as good as the rec’s online or in the book.

I highly suggest you go on a free tour (http://www.newparistours.com/). We caught the tail end of one and it was so informative that we were sad that we didn’t go on the full tour.

• 15 Meggan // Dec 16, 2009 at 11:30 am

Just wanted to say that I bought a Bucky neck pillow for the purpose of holiday travel, and despite having not traveled yet, I have used the heck out of that thing already. Get one! You will love it.

If you are buying it in person, make sure to squeeze several of them because the ones I squeezed had varying levels of filling. I got the millet kind and it seems nice. Seriously though, I love my Bucky pillow.

• 16 katy // Dec 17, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Oh, have a wonderful time! To aid in your Parisian eating, Kerrin’s blog is invaluable. She knows the hot spots, the specialty shops and about all things sweet.

I too love Edible Adventures. You MUST own this book. Don’t rely on St. Nick, order a copy now.

Stay in St. Germain. All the cool kids do. All you need for Paris is a Metro Map, city map and really good walking shoes.

I fell in love with the Pompidou Center during my trip last June. If you love contemporary art this is the place for you. Visit the 2nd floor. Excellent views of the city from the escalator. Starbucks near by in case you get home sick :)

Can’t wait to hear about your trip!

• 17 dawn // Dec 18, 2009 at 7:12 am

LOVE the iphone charger! Mine just arrived in the mail yesterday. I am so excited to have it! Thanks for the tip.

• 18 Jennifer // Dec 18, 2009 at 1:22 pm

If you are still looking for a pillow for air travel/ferry rides, you should check out this one!

I have one that’s lasted for years, and you just blow into the valve to inflate, and you can adjust the amount of air inside (by deflating slightly) with a press of the valve button. I love it and highly recommend it!

• 19 Miss B // Dec 19, 2009 at 1:03 am

Oh, “Edible Adventures in Paris” was excellent, excellent.

There is a honey shop she recommends, called Les Abeilles. If you like honey at all, go there (I took a taxi specifically to spend 20 minutes in that shop when I was there last year). The man that owns the place is darling, and the honey is so good.

• 20 Jennifer // Dec 20, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Hi! I am a Paris-based reader. Will you be passing through or staying for a bit?

Just quickly: for amazing cookware visit the stores mentioned in this post:

And for insider tips that might only be worthwhile if you are staying for a bit see:

Also drink some chocolat a l’ancienne. I have a favorite place on Blvd Hausmann, but there are many spots.

Have fun!

Jennifer

• 21 Sandy // Dec 22, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I wanted to recommend you also check out “It Must be Something I Ate” by Jefferey Steingarten. It’s a collection of essays on the search for great food of all types. A couple of them center on Paris, and I dearly wish I’d read it on my way into Paris, rather than on the plane out. His favorite places to get classic baguette and croissants would have become a to do list for me.

• 22 katherine // Dec 22, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Have fun in Paris! I was there over thanksgiving. Let me know if you need a recommendation for an apartment to rent. Very affordable and comfortable, and probably no advance deposit required. Also I have a metro pass (maybe 2) that I can lend (i am in seattle). Just send me an email, I can share my pics of the apartment.

-katherine

• 23 jo-anne // Jan 26, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I’m headed to Paris at the end of April! My girlfriend bought me Clotilde’s adventures in Paris book – we’ll be there for 7 days and I have every meal for those 7 days planned out!

Thanks for the info re: the iPhone charger. I’ll be picking up two for the trip.