Halloween cocktail experiments

I hope you had a wonderful Halloween. Here is the result of our experiments with Blavod black vodka and strange ice, it was a lot of fun. (See also: my previous entry about creepy ice creations.)

Halloween cocktail experiments

The plastic skeleton embedded in an ice sphere was a lot of fun. In a drink it sort of rotated around on it’s own and showed different bones, creepy.

Halloween cocktail experiments

On the left are gummy eyeballs I froze in a swizzle stick ice tray I found at Daiso, these were creepy submerged in a drink that had gone opaque (see just below). On the right is black vodka and orange juice, which turned a nicely disgusting greenish beige when mixed.

It took a few tries but I finally figured out how to float vodka in a flute. I filled the glass with juice (or tonic and lime), put in ice, put the vodka in a OXO small measuring cup with a spout and slowly poured the vodka, aiming it towards the topmost ice cube. It usually worked.

Halloween cocktail experiments

On the left is cranberry and vodka and small sphere ice, created in a tray bought at Daiso. The right is blood orange juice and black vodka (which I failed to float properly). There is a gummy eyeball on the end of a cocktail pick. I like the effect of the eyeball at the bottom of the glass. (The gummy eyeballs were from Target and tasted horrible.)

Halloween cocktail experiments

Vodka and tonic before and after mixing. In person it looked a lot more gray than green.

Halloween cocktail experiments

These are Brains! cocktails made in small shot glasses. I had good luck using a pipette to dispense the Irish cream, I dipped the end in the drink and slowly squeezed the Irish cream into the drink while moving the pipette around. I found this technique at Folkinz, which used a straw to a nice effect. The glasses on either side were given small droplets, but didn’t look quite as spooky. They looked my like a cocktail that would be named Lymph Nodes!

Halloween cocktail experiments

Here is another skeleton layered inside of a squarish ice cube.

Halloween cocktail experiments

This is a White Russian made with black vodka, turning it a delightfully sickly gray/beige.

Halloween cocktail experiments

I attempted to capture the Frozen Smiles ice floating in tonic and cranberry, it looked creepier in person.

Halloween cocktail experiments

Trivia: the center glass is from Disgruntled Housewife and was aquired in a Smile and Act Nice gift bag from SXSW 2000 or 2001. If you’re a knitter you might know Nicole better as the author of Thrifty Knitter (a website) and Naughty Needles (a book), and co-owner of The Harveyville Project (two middle schools in Kansas turned into spaces to encourage creative output, a daring and genius prospect). I’ve admired Nicole from afar for as long as I can remember, Disgruntled Housewife was one of the first websites I read.

Halloween cocktail experiments

My friend Maggi made these amazing (and delicious) gravestone cookies.

And here is my Halloween mirror picture. I was wearing synthetic hair extensions for the evening, my hair isn’t nearly this long:

Hello!

· comments [27] · 11-3-2009 · categories:food · halloween ·

• 1 Mim // Nov 3, 2009 at 5:26 am

Looks like a ton of fun! Love the cocktails.

• 2 cassie // Nov 3, 2009 at 7:19 am

excellent pix and *very* creepy drinks!

• 3 BethR // Nov 3, 2009 at 8:22 am

i have the disgruntled housewife tote from years ago! and several of her date books.

i don’t know if you’ve ever heard of bandana slammers, but it was a drink i remember from the early 90s where you’d pour a layer in a glass and then place a layer of bandana on top of that. then you would slowly pour the liquor on top of the bandana. you could pull the bandana up out of the glass leaving two layers of liquid behind.

• 4 Heather // Nov 3, 2009 at 9:54 am

So much fun!! And I LOVE the long hair! :)

• 5 Jennifer // Nov 3, 2009 at 10:08 am

These pictures are AWESOME!! Hope they tasted great!!

• 6 paola // Nov 3, 2009 at 10:14 am

You should grow your hair that long – it looks FAB… (cocktails look pretty good too…)

• 7 giddy girlie // Nov 3, 2009 at 10:49 am

Years ago, when I worked in a coffee house, we used to have a layered cappucino and the trick was to put your first layer in (steamed milk) and then hold a spoon upside down (bowl up) just above it, with the very tip of the spoon dipping into the milk and resting against the side of the glass. Then pour the espresso verrrrrry slowly across the spoon, so that it would settle right on top of the milk. The spoon trick works for most layered drinks and should work for your cocktails too. That way, you’re not upsetting the surface tension of the liquid below when you’re pouring directly on top of it.

Also a fun tip: espresso is heavier than milk foam, but lighter than milk, so you can actually put steamed milk with a thick layer of foam in a cup (we used fancy glass coffee mugs) and do the spoon trick and the espresso will settle between the foam and milk. Impresses people standing at the coffee counter watching! ;-)

• 8 megan // Nov 3, 2009 at 11:14 am

Giddy Girlie – I’m familiar with the back of the spoon trick, but in this case it was a matter of getting liquid into the flute without having the black vodka splashing on the sides of the glass. The spoons were too wide to fit down inside the flute so I had to find another way to ease the vodka into the glass. I suppose I could have run it down a knife but I already had the little measuring cup, and pouring it on ice worked nicely

I also worked at a coffee shop for a summer and did the layered espresso drinks, and once got a rather large tip for it!

• 9 Sonja love // Nov 3, 2009 at 12:17 pm

WOW!!!! I am loving your ideas…maybe we’ll try them next year.

• 10 Jonique // Nov 3, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Your pics are great!. What camera do you use?

• 11 megan // Nov 3, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Jonique – I have a Canon Rebel XSi (aka the EOS 450D). I wrote more about it over here. It works well for me but I wouldn’t recommend it to a very serious photographer.

• 12 emily // Nov 3, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Love these ideas!

• 13 Abby // Nov 3, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I just simply could not drink the brains. BUT. I would love to have them served to me! Fun.

• 14 Saple // Nov 3, 2009 at 2:40 pm

love the sight but I also love the hair extensions. they look awesome

• 15 fert // Nov 3, 2009 at 4:13 pm

‘meow!’ regarding the hair extensions!

also, how did the baileys and schnapps taste?

• 16 justJENN // Nov 3, 2009 at 4:15 pm

omg that eyeball in the bottom of the glass is killing me. Super creepy.

• 17 megan // Nov 3, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Fert – Not as bad as you’d think. The main flavor that came through was the peach, tinged with the tartness of the fresh lime juice. The Baileys almost didn’t add any flavor expect “sweet”, but it WAS chunky, it was gross and awesome. Dispensed in the cocktail this way it’s actually curdling so if it’s not stirred the curds stay when you drink it, and you can feel them on your tongue. One person at the party couldn’t get past the texture.

• 18 jamieofalltrade // Nov 3, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Looks like it’s already been suggested but I saw Martha and Christina Hendricks {aka Joan from Mad Men} make cocktails with black vodka and do the back of the spoon trick. They held the spoon at an angle so it fit in the champagne glass. I really wanted to do it for halloween but i had the swine flu so no drinks for me!

• 19 TPS // Nov 3, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Fabulous extensions!

• 20 Alison // Nov 4, 2009 at 4:15 am

Oh my, those cocktails are all so cool! Something about the brains one makes me want to gag, though…

• 21 Carol // Nov 4, 2009 at 10:57 am

These are so cool. I’m glad I happened upon them.

• 22 Fern // Nov 4, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Totally, totally awesome. I stumbled upon this blog and it’s the best recipe blog I’ve seen in ages. LOVE LOVE LOVE the creativity. (And the blog name.) Keep it goin’!

• 23 Tami // Nov 9, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Cannot find Blavod….where did you find it?

• 24 two coast table // Nov 24, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Thanks for linking up my other site (I’m folkinz) and your shots look great! And I love your site by the way. Steven.

• 25 shelterrific » Blog Archive » spooky sippers for halloween // Oct 6, 2010 at 6:12 am

[...] Wilton. If all this isn’t inspiration enough, look to Megan at Not Martha, who had a great post about her Halloween cocktail experiments, working with black vodka and a bunch of fun ice cubes. And of course, the goddess herself, Martha [...]

• 26 Mrs. Limestone // Oct 27, 2010 at 11:20 am

Wow – these are fabulous. Thanks for sharing them. Have to try that black vodka thing.

• 27 Arielle // Oct 27, 2010 at 2:02 pm

lol, so gross, but so awesome! Very creative.