Halloween ice for cocktails

This Halloween we are headed to spend a night with friends handing out candy to trick or treaters and playing board games (Zombie Fluxx and Betrayal at House on the Hill!). I’ve bought a bottle of Blavod, which you might know as the black vodka that Martha Stewart used to make Halloween drinks a couple of years back. I gathered a few options for making spooky ice.

eyeball ice from Target

First I found these gummy eyeballs at Target. They come in their own ice tray, you just add water and freeze.

denture shaped ice mold

I went to a Halloween store hoping to find white plastic fangs to embed in ice. Instead I found these teeth molds, called Frozen Smiles made by Fred. I think I like them even more.

small plastic skeletons

I also found these plastic skeleton pieces which are small enough to fit into my ice ball mold from Muji. note: You should not ever put something small into ice that is intended to be put in a drink. Especially not if there are children present. Or drunk adults.

I layered it in the ice of the sphere, making several trips in and out of the freezer. Here is my trial ice sphere floating in a glass of water:

plastic skeleton in an ice ball

I’ve seen these same plastic skeletons used to decorate cupakes, here and here on Flickr.

eyeball cocktail garnishes from Martha Stewart
(image from

And I intend to try out this eery Lychee eyeball garnish and see if I can freeze it inside of an ice ball. There is another Lychee eyeball at Martha Stewart along with a grape eyeball and this savory option of using radishes and olives. Yikes.

· comments [10] · 10-29-2009 · categories:halloween ·

• 1 Seanna Lea // Oct 29, 2009 at 2:03 pm

I wonder if I could get my husband to part with some of his lychee for the eyeball garnish. It’s wonderfully gross.

• 2 megan // Oct 29, 2009 at 3:09 pm

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever actually encountered a lychee, I’ll definitely have to track one down to make the garnishes.

• 3 suee // Oct 29, 2009 at 6:18 pm

hahaha.. these are so cool!! happy halloween to all!

• 4 megan b. // Oct 29, 2009 at 7:18 pm

I’ve done the lychee eyeballs with blueberries. I pre-froze them then skewered on to toothpicks, and floated them in a red punch as ice cubes for a halloween event. It was really gross- and absolutely fantastic! You didn’t even need to stain the lychees- they picked up the red color from the liquid.
    I also served them skewered along side a cherry flavored jello brain (I was a cannibal chef that year).

I used canned pitted lychees- from the asian market. I thought they were pretty nifty, but nothin’ tops that meat hand, megan!

• 5 Adrienne // Oct 30, 2009 at 8:25 am

OMG Zombie Fluxx. I played that last Christmas with my bf’s family for – no joke- 3 hours of ONE game. Perhaps it would have been more fun if they weren’t teetotalers….

• 6 herschel // Oct 31, 2009 at 4:47 pm

the fred ice smiles should be made of silicone — you could bake in them!

• 7 becca @ birthday girl // Nov 1, 2009 at 9:23 pm

those frozen smiles are too funny.

• 8 Cool Halloween Recipe Ideas images | Halloween Supplies // Sep 7, 2010 at 4:41 pm

[…] nb. recipe/&#1110&#1281&#1077&#1072, HT notmartha. […]

• 9 sheeps’ eyes | Bar Hands // May 6, 2012 at 4:29 am

[…] recipe/idea, HT notmartha. Shaker collection.What are some cocktail recipes with just midori and vodka? Can also have […]

• 10 sheeps’ eyes | Leslie and AJ's Discoveries // Nov 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm