Halloween ice for cocktails

This Halloween we are headed to spend a night with friends handing out candy to trick or treaters and playing board games (Zombie Fluxx and Betrayal at House on the Hill!). I’ve bought a bottle of Blavod, which you might know as the black vodka that Martha Stewart used to make Halloween drinks a couple of years back. I gathered a few options for making spooky ice.

eyeball ice from Target

First I found these gummy eyeballs at Target. They come in their own ice tray, you just add water and freeze.

denture shaped ice mold

I went to a Halloween store hoping to find white plastic fangs to embed in ice. Instead I found these teeth molds, called Frozen Smiles made by Fred. I think I like them even more.

small plastic skeletons

I also found these plastic skeleton pieces which are small enough to fit into my ice ball mold from Muji. note: You should not ever put something small into ice that is intended to be put in a drink. Especially not if there are children present. Or drunk adults.

I layered it in the ice of the sphere, making several trips in and out of the freezer. Here is my trial ice sphere floating in a glass of water:

plastic skeleton in an ice ball

I’ve seen these same plastic skeletons used to decorate cupakes, here and here on Flickr.

eyeball cocktail garnishes from Martha Stewart
(image from marthastewart.com)

And I intend to try out this eery Lychee eyeball garnish and see if I can freeze it inside of an ice ball. There is another Lychee eyeball at Martha Stewart along with a grape eyeball and this savory option of using radishes and olives. Yikes.

· comments [10] · 10-29-2009 · categories:halloween ·

• 1 Seanna Lea // Oct 29, 2009 at 2:03 pm

I wonder if I could get my husband to part with some of his lychee for the eyeball garnish. It’s wonderfully gross.

• 2 megan // Oct 29, 2009 at 3:09 pm

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever actually encountered a lychee, I’ll definitely have to track one down to make the garnishes.

• 3 suee // Oct 29, 2009 at 6:18 pm

hahaha.. these are so cool!! happy halloween to all!

• 4 megan b. // Oct 29, 2009 at 7:18 pm

I’ve done the lychee eyeballs with blueberries. I pre-froze them then skewered on to toothpicks, and floated them in a red punch as ice cubes for a halloween event. It was really gross- and absolutely fantastic! You didn’t even need to stain the lychees- they picked up the red color from the liquid.
    I also served them skewered along side a cherry flavored jello brain (I was a cannibal chef that year).

I used canned pitted lychees- from the asian market. I thought they were pretty nifty, but nothin’ tops that meat hand, megan!

• 5 Adrienne // Oct 30, 2009 at 8:25 am

OMG Zombie Fluxx. I played that last Christmas with my bf’s family for – no joke- 3 hours of ONE game. Perhaps it would have been more fun if they weren’t teetotalers….

• 6 herschel // Oct 31, 2009 at 4:47 pm

the fred ice smiles should be made of silicone — you could bake in them!

• 7 becca @ birthday girl // Nov 1, 2009 at 9:23 pm

those frozen smiles are too funny.

• 8 Cool Halloween Recipe Ideas images | Halloween Supplies // Sep 7, 2010 at 4:41 pm

[...] nb. recipe/іԁеа, HT notmartha. [...]

• 9 sheeps’ eyes | Bar Hands // May 6, 2012 at 4:29 am

[...] recipe/idea, HT notmartha. Shaker collection.What are some cocktail recipes with just midori and vodka? Can also have [...]

• 10 sheeps’ eyes | Leslie and AJ's Discoveries // Nov 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm

[...] recipe/idea, HT notmartha. « DSC07985 » Nice Cocktail Birthday Party [...]