Simple Lasagna Pan from the Baker’s Edge people

Bakers Edge Simple Lasagna Pan

Remember the Baker’s Edge brownie pan? They have recently come out with a similar pan sized for lasagna noodles, it’s called the Simple Lasagna Pan. They sent me one* and I’m very happy with it. I’ve made two lasagnas, the first was a recipe of Scott’s mom which we, um, ate it before I could get a good picture. The one shown below is from a recipe that comes with the pan and can be found on the Baker’s Edge website, the Quick and Delicious Lasagna (note: that links is to a PDF). It calls for using dry noodles and I like the texture of them when it’s cooked. All their recipes can be found here. I’m hoping to find time to make the Ultimate Lasagna soon (note: PDF again).

Bakers Edge Simple Lasagna Pan

The pan makes it so easy to remove a tidy square of lasagna to serve, and made portioning it out to freeze blissfully non-frustrating. Nothing stuck to the pan and it was very easy to clean. You can buy them on the Baker’s Edge website as well as at Amazon.

I took a picture of it with the brownie pan to show the difference in sizes:

Bakers Edge Simple Lasagna Pan

(p.s. I do know about the three channel lasagna pan but I like that the Baker’s Edge pan allows the sauce to flow from one side of the pan to the other.)

* (Disclosure: it was free, I did not request it.)

· comments [18] · 10-21-2009 · categories:food ·

• 1 Rebekah // Oct 21, 2009 at 6:57 am

love to see those FTC regulations kicking in ;)

• 2 Kate // Oct 21, 2009 at 6:59 am

Hi, just discovered your site a few weeks ago and have been having lots of fun reading it! This looks awesome but I’m sad it’s $50. I will probably have to continue making disorganized lasagna.

• 3 kendra // Oct 21, 2009 at 7:16 am

Does it come with a spatula like the brownie pan does? Is it deeper, or just a bit smaller? I love my Baker’s Edge brownie pan. I use it for all kinds of bars/brownies, but also for lasagna. What would be the advantage to the lasagna pan?(trying to justify “needing” it!)

• 4 jenn // Oct 21, 2009 at 8:15 am

Kendra–my guess is that the lasagna pan is a better fit. I have a brownie pan as well, and have tried lasagna in it. While it works, I found that the pan was too narrow for my lasagna noodles.

The lasagna pan would also be a good size for cake!

• 5 Val Ann C // Oct 21, 2009 at 9:15 am

Is there a reason why I would need to buy both the brownie and lasagna pan? Do you think the lasagna pan would work for brownies? Maybe do a 1.5x recipe to adjust for larger pan size?

• 6 Seanna Lea // Oct 21, 2009 at 9:21 am

I just made two lasagnas this weekend (straight to the freezer), so I could have easy dinners midweek. This looks like a fun way to have lasagna, though I don’t mind cutting my pieces to size.

• 7 megan // Oct 21, 2009 at 10:31 am

Kendra – It does come with a spatula like the brownie pan, the spatula is a bit larger. The pan itself is larger overall and a bit (1/2″) deeper than the brownie pan. The only advantage the specific lasagna pan has is that noodles fit into it out of the box. I have made lasagna in my brownie pan before and you had to snap off about 1 1/2″ of the end of the lasagna noodles.

In my opinion if you have the brownie pan you don’t need the lasagna pan unless you make lasagna a lot and not having the break or trim the lasagna noodles would lead to a significant improvement in your overall life :)

Val Ann C – The pans are the same, just different sizes. The lasagna pan is 50% larger so yup, a 1.5 batch of brownies would fit just fine in the lasagna pan, whereas to make lasagna in the brownie pan you just need to trim the noodles to fit inside well.

• 8 Sam // Oct 21, 2009 at 10:42 am

I have a Baker’s Edge brownie pan and I LOVE it. I use it to make mac and cheese and lasagna almost as much as I use it for baked goods.

I don’t mind snapping the ends off my noodles, it really only takes a few seconds extra time.

• 9 becky // Oct 21, 2009 at 11:31 am

When my kids were little and we just needed small lasagnas, I would use my bread pan…actually a glass loaf pan. It was a perfect size, and I could disguise a little bit of spinash inside the lasagna!

• 10 Kim // Oct 21, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I love this, but I definitely don’t want to spend the money. Maybe I’ll try their dry-noodle recipe anyway though!

• 11 megan // Oct 21, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Kim – Do try the recipe, it’s very good, has a lot of cheese and the noodle texture turns out really good.

• 12 Lauren // Oct 21, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Those pans are the best! The regular brownie pan makes just enough lasagna for my husband and I to eat it for three days. Mmmmmmmmm….

The Baker’s Edge people are solid, too. I needed a replacement for my first generation spatula and they were quite gracious. http://lloydandlauren.com/2009/02/16/oh-snap/#comment-46879

• 13 maria // Oct 21, 2009 at 6:40 pm

I love lasagna, but I so rarely make it. The recipe I use is by Marcella Hazan, from Essentials of Classic Italian cooking. The key to extra delicious lasagna is making the noodles yourself. The whole process is tedious, but well worth the effort, in my opinion.

• 14 jamieofalltrade // Oct 21, 2009 at 9:41 pm

That’s it, I’m making a lasagna!

• 15 Nicki // Oct 29, 2009 at 12:55 pm

This is SO going on my wishlist!!! :)

• 16 Baker's Edge Simple Lasagna Pan Rave and Review | Mom Most Traveled // Dec 3, 2009 at 9:29 am

[...] Martha has some mouth-watering photos on her Simple Lasagna Pan review. [...]

• 17 Karissa // Mar 18, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Hi Megan!
    We are blogging at MomBlogWork about a cheap, easy alternative to the brownie pan. I remembered you wrote about this awhile ago and I thought I’d drop by and mention our post. Check it out – won’t work for lasagna but makes perfect brownies! :)

• 18 Become Ordained // Dec 13, 2010 at 4:58 am

I love the idea of the Baker’s Edge lasagna pan. but I like the Chicago Metallic “Trio” pan even better.

Similar in concept, it has three separate channels, not connected like the Baker’s Edge pan. Both designs can be used to separate the pan into different recipes, but the “Trio” design allows you to used just one channel, if cooking for one or two. I love leftovers, of course. But therein lies the problem! Making a smaller batch of lasagna lessens the temptation to scarf down the extra servings, just because it is there.

The Trio pan features a generous lip around the top edge, to help contain annoying bubble-overs. Like the Baker’s Edge pan, it is non-stick, and it’s about $20 cheaper.

On the down side the Chicago Metallic pan is not made in the USA. Who knew there was a Chicago in China!