apple picking at Jones Creek Farms

apples from Jones Creek Farms

I went apple picking with some friends last weekend, it was fantastic. It was muddy though, so I’m glad I wore boots. Also? The reusable shopping bags were very helpful.

apples from Jones Creek Farms

I heard about Jones Creek Farms from a friend and this past weekend just happened to be their Harvest Festival. They have pick your own apples service August through November, it was a little late for picking this year as it was an early growing season. As a result there was a lot of fruit on the ground, and sometimes hard to find an good apple left on the trees (and no pears left to be found). The farm is welcoming, and you’re encouraged to try a sample of an apple before you pick a whole bunch, as a result we tasted a whole lot of delicious apples. I came home with nine pounds and I hardly think it is enough. I’m already planning to return next year.

apples from Jones Creek Farms

This one is my favorite. It has an almost geometric shape, it’s nice and weighty and has a crisp texture with a bit of tartness. Unforunately I have no idea which variety it is. If you’re in the Seattle area Jones Creek Farms sells at a bunch of farmers markets (the list is at the bottom of the page).

· comments [12] · 10-20-2009 · categories:seattle ·

• 1 sprizee // Oct 20, 2009 at 9:23 am

I went to Perkins Apple Orchard in Sedro Woolley with some friends where they also make apple wine and have a small tasting room. I bought a handful of apples there and a few Asian pears. Really kicking myself for not buying more. Most delicious juicy, crunchy and sweet Asian pears I’ve ever tasted.

Best pumpkin patch in Washington? Not that you asked but I’m compelled to share. http://www.gordonskagitfarms.com Lovely variety of pumpkins, squash, a few apples and baked goods thrown in for good measure.

I love the autumn.

• 2 megan // Oct 20, 2009 at 9:26 am

Sprizee – Thank you! I’ve been wanting a good pumpkin patch.

• 3 Seanna Lea // Oct 20, 2009 at 9:45 am

I need to find a place that is accessible to the car free in my area, because it sounds like everybody who goes apple picking has a blast!

• 4 Jamieofalltrades // Oct 20, 2009 at 9:53 am

Fun! I am on an Apple kick. I just made Apple Spice cupcakes and they were delicious! Like eating a little slice of Fall.

• 5 CitricSugar // Oct 20, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Our apples here have been done for five or six weeks and I already miss them. I would love to find a u-pick but we’re too far from a proper orchard… Thanks for the vicarious visit!!

• 6 Kandy // Oct 20, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I think it looks like a small honeycrisp. That would fit your description of the taste, too.

• 7 Kate // Oct 20, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I believe that is a Macoun.

My favorite for exactly those reasons, crisp & tart.

• 8 Laura // Oct 20, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I was there too this weekend! On Saturday. Despite the rain, it was a lovely day (and a lovely orchard).

• 9 Emily // Oct 20, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Where did you get that reuseable bag in the photo?

• 10 megan // Oct 20, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Emily – It’s a RuMe bag from Delight.com. I also really love the Envirosax bags. RuMe are a little bigger, but the Envirosax fold up smaller and are therefore easier to keep in a purse.

• 11 megan // Oct 20, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Laura – What a coincidence!

Thanks Kandy and Kate, I’ll have to see if I can find both and compare. I hope it’s a Macoun, that way my favorite apple can be a variety I’d never previously heard of.

• 12 Natalie // Oct 20, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I just went apple-picking, too! What are you going to make with all of your apples?