Palindrome, a reversible cable scarf

big red reversible cable scarf

I recently came across the concept of reversible cables, what a lovely and tidy thing, especially for a nice thick scarf that won’t curl in on itself and you won’t have to worry about having the correct side facing out. I used the free pattern Palindrome, which is very easy, and added a pattern repeat. I’m using Berocco Comfort Chunky yarn on size #8 needles to keep the ribbing nice and tight. I bought four balls of yarn and I’m half way through the third ball, the scarf is long enough that I might make a hat using the same reversible cable pattern.

big red reversible cable scarf, the cast on end

I did a 2×2 tubular cast-on and it’s rounded edge makes me happy.

Reversible Knitting pattern book

Lucky me, just as I’m discovering how much I like reversible knitting comes out a book: Reversible Knitting: 50 Brand-New, Groundbreaking Stitch Patterns. I’m looking forward to seeing what is in there.

· comments [20] · 10-7-2009 · categories:knitting ·

• 1 Glenda in Colorado // Oct 7, 2009 at 7:40 am

Very nice job of knitting and yarn selection for the pattern! Thanks for sharing. I will have to look into that book, wait, I just promised myself not to start any “new” projects this year..hmmm.

• 2 Rachel // Oct 7, 2009 at 8:41 am

Very timely. I need a new scarf and I’m all about reversible scarves. I made one for my husband a couple of years ago. Now I just need some yarn.

• 3 mary // Oct 7, 2009 at 9:52 am

Thank you so much for finding this pattern! It is JUST what I was looking for to knit for the “boys” in my family!

• 4 Susan // Oct 7, 2009 at 9:52 am

That scarf is lovely! I’ve never liked the wrong side of the Irish Hiking Scarf- Palindrome looks like a great alternative.

• 5 MamaLana // Oct 7, 2009 at 11:06 am

Lovely scarf! You’ve inspired me.

• 6 giao {kiss my spatula} // Oct 7, 2009 at 1:20 pm

sooo gorgeous! if only i had the talent to knit like you…very inspiring!

• 7 Adele // Oct 8, 2009 at 5:54 pm

This is fantastic, I am going to get started on one this weekend. What pattern are you going to use for the beanie? Are you just going to adapt this scarf pattern or use something else? Any chance of posting the beanie pattern as well?

• 8 megan // Oct 8, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Adele – I’ll be making up a pattern for the hat, I’ll post it if I’m successful (which is anybody’s guess).

• 9 Susan // Oct 9, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Oooo, thx for posting this pattern link! Love it! Your scarf looks so soft and smooshy!

• 10 Darci // Oct 15, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Megan, I think that there is a pattern on Ravelry for a hat/beanie.

What color is this red? I just bought my daughter a red/black/white glen plaid pea coat and this is a must have accessory.

Love the cast on as well

• 11 megan // Oct 15, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Thanks Darci, I want to see if I can create a patternless hat. I’m not sure which color this is, the labels are long gone.

• 12 Darci // Oct 15, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Sounds good – here is the link if interested…http://www.ravelry.com/projects/peanutzmom/palindrome-a-reversible-cable-scarf

• 13 CitricSugar // Oct 19, 2009 at 1:59 am

Thanks for the link to the pattern! Your scarf turned out fabulous. Absolutely fabulous. Great tip about the tubular cast-on, too.

• 14 susan // Oct 19, 2009 at 6:04 am

Great job on the scarf, thanks for sharing the link! Do you know of a bind-off technique that “matches” the 2×2 tubular cast-on? I can never get both edges the same! Thanks.

• 15 megan // Oct 19, 2009 at 10:20 am

Susan – I do have a bind-off that matches perfectly. It’s a 2×2 tubular (aka: kitchener, sewn) bind-off. It’s worked exactly the same way you would do a 1×1 bind-off except for this — when you reach your bind-off area divide your stitches onto two circular needles which will be parallel to each other. All the knit stitches on to the front needle and all the purl stitches on the back needle. Work the bind-off the same way as you would if you were doing a 1×1 bind-off with the stitches divided onto two parallel needles.

I have a few entries where I talked about which resources I used to finally figure out how to do this:

(Mid way down the list.)

This reminds me I’ve been meaning to put up a tutorial on how I do tubular cast-on and bind-off (and why I like the methods I use).

• 16 kayemmdee // Nov 21, 2009 at 11:38 am

I’ve made scarves on circular needles before and loved them – especially how they lie flat and don’t curl at the edges. I want to make a cabled scarf this time and hoped I could make one on a circular needle so it would have the same pretty cable pattern on both sides, It seems as simple as adjusting any cabled scarf pattern so you end up with a back and front and enough room for the two edges / turns, right?

• 17 megan // Nov 21, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Kayemmdee – I’ve seen a scarf done that way and it looks quite nice. This one is actually all 2×2 ribbing that is cabled, you just don’t see the purl ribs as they disappear inside of the cables. It’s exceptionally warm and thick.

• 18 marisa // Jan 11, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I have a question that I hope you can help with… I am very happy with myself and was able to do the tubular cast on from My Fashionable Life with your alteration for 2×2. It now looks like it wants me to purl for the first two stitches, meanwhile the Palindrome pattern says to knit the first two. What do you think I should do?

• 19 Liz // Oct 19, 2011 at 11:40 am

Beautiful scarf! I’m trying to find the answer to Marisa’s question above. The 2X2 tubular cast on instructions I’ve found almost all have you begin with purl stitches, while the tubular cast-off’s seem to start with 2 knit stitches! Confusing. Please let me know what you did for this Palindrome scarf. Thanks

• 20 megan // Oct 19, 2011 at 11:59 am

Marisa – Oh gosh, I’m afraid I don’t remember as I made this scarf a few years ago. I’ve been meaning to do a how-to, maybe I can make a very detailed one this winter.