Where can I find a good waffle in Seattle?

I’m seeking out waffles in Seattle. I want to find a few examples of good, or correct, texture, in this case the toppings are not important. Here’s why: we were given an expensive waffle maker recently and after using it a few times I’m fairly convinced it doesn’t actually work that well. But, before I condemn it I’d like to have an ideal waffle texture to compare, a control group if you will.

Here is what I have so far:

Arosa in First Hill, according to Yelp Hans came out of retirement to serve snack waffles once again.

Rusty Pelican in Wallingford, a few steps away from my first house in Seattle.

Vera’s in Ballard.

I’ve also dug up this list at Seattlest and this one from Yelp. I’ve never heard of Walter’s Waffles and wonder if it (still? actually? exists. And I’ll be sure to visit Sweet Iron Waffles this Autumn — “Introducing the Liége Waffle, a sumptuous combination of brioche style dough, pearl sugar and the perfect iron to seal the authenticity of this treat.” Yum.

But I’m hoping to get a first person recommendation for a solid example of a good waffle, got one?

· comments [42] · 09-29-2009 · categories:food · seattle ·

• 1 Hilary // Sep 29, 2009 at 12:10 pm

May I ask, what recipe you are currently using? I love my mom’s waffles and she has a cheapo waffle maker but the secret is in the batter. Do you fold in beaten egg whites? Without that I don’t think the texture can possibly be right.

• 2 megan // Sep 29, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Hilary – I do fold in the beaten egg whites, I just don’t trust a waffle recipe that doesn’t call for that. I thought about using the recipe that came with the manual but it’s a whole wheat nutty sort of thing and I’m unwilling to gather all the ingredients for it just to find out. Though, I note it does not call for beaten egg whites.

• 3 James Moes // Sep 29, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Empire Espresso down here in Columbia City makes a fairly mean waffle on the weekends (Sat/Sun). But I’m no waffle connoisseur.

• 4 Dianne // Sep 29, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Original Pancake House in Ballard would be my recommendation.

• 5 Micki // Sep 29, 2009 at 1:55 pm

may be an acquired taste, but have you tried the waffles at the Sunlight Cafe on Roosevelt. They’ve served a “healthy” but rich tasting waffle for decades… xoxo

• 6 Jamie // Sep 29, 2009 at 2:37 pm

What about 5 Spot or Coastal Kitchen? They usually have long a wait. Or the Dish in Ballard? I’m not a big waffle eater but those are popular breakfast places that come to minds so they must be doing something right.

• 7 barrie // Sep 29, 2009 at 2:42 pm

my house :-)

• 8 Drew // Sep 29, 2009 at 2:53 pm

The Original Pancake House is truly delightful. I’m not a huge fan of waffles, but I hear they are delicious. I’m more of a dutch baby kind of girl!

• 9 lena // Sep 29, 2009 at 2:54 pm

the joy of cookie waffle recipe (the regular one, not belgian or buckwheat) is amazing i think.

• 10 Eliza // Sep 29, 2009 at 3:06 pm

My all time fave recipe has no folded-in whites (too much work!) and is consistently mind blowingly awesome. And I make them in two crappy thrifted waffle irons (one iron just cannot keep up with the demand) of very different gauges (one old fashioned small-divot and one newer Belgian-style giant-divot, and it is consistently delicious in both. It’s a yeast raised waffle (the only kind I like) and it’s straight from the 1960′s era Fanny Farmer cookbook. If you’re interested I can mail you the recipe. It’s killer.

• 11 wendy // Sep 29, 2009 at 3:20 pm

My grandma’s recipe also has beaten egg whites in it. I don’t really like waffles, but I’ll eat hers because they are faboo!

So, seconding (or thirding) any recipe w/egg whites folded in.

• 12 wendy // Sep 29, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Here’s her recipe:

2 cups flour
    1 tsp. salt
    3 tsps. baking powder
    3 eggs
    2 cups milk
    1/2 cup butter (I use real butter, which works the best).

Melt butter and set aside.

Separate egg yolks from whites. Mix egg whites until fluffy and stands up in peaks.

Mix thoroughly flour, salt, and baking powder. Beat egg yolks and add to dry ingredients with milk. Add butter and mix. Fold in beaten egg whites with a spatula.

Cook in your waffle iron. Excellent.

• 13 megan // Sep 29, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Thanks everybody, but I have plenty of tried and true waffle recipes. I would like to eat ones made for me from people who know better than I for sake of comparison.

I’ll try Empire and the Pancake House (if I can ever get in).

• 14 amanda // Sep 29, 2009 at 3:43 pm

I like the buttermilk waffle at the Honey Bear Bakery at the Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park. It’s delish!

• 15 Guin // Sep 29, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Another recipe worth trying is America’s Test Kitchen’s waffle recipe. They test their recipes to the brink of insanity to see how and why foods turn out the way they do. It’s likely to be on their site or in their big red cookbook (check the library).

• 16 Courtney // Sep 29, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I have a Black and Decker…it’s awesome and it was cheap. My folks had the same one from years ago and I’m pretty sure it’s still around. Cook’s Illustrated recommends it too! http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/results.asp?docid=10301

• 17 megan // Sep 29, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Thanks all but again, I don’t need a recipe, I’d like to try other waffles so I can compare the texture to that of what my pricey waffle maker produces. This will help me figure out if the pricey waffle maker is making good waffles or not.

• 18 barrie // Sep 29, 2009 at 5:03 pm

maybe put up top that you don’t need recipes? otherwise, i was trying to look up good places and i realized that maybe Blue Dog might make a good one. i know they do good pancakes, so i’m sure they do waffles too.

• 19 fert // Sep 29, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Five Spot on the top of Queen Anne has excellent french toast so I’m wondering if they have an excellent waffle, too…

Does a crapload of toppings help the waffle score, because Portage Bay’s berry bar would probably be good…

I’ve tried the waffle at Beths and it’s decent, but nothing to write home about. Ditto with Varsity Inn. If I ever try the one at Voula’s, I’ll let you know how it is.

I know I’m not much help but I’m hoping this information can be filed under “1000 ways you can’t make a lightbulb”

• 20 Mary T. // Sep 29, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Megan, if you twist my arm, I would force myself to go with you to do some research!

I like the waffles at Luna Park and I liked my waffle at Silence-Heart-Nest an awful lot, too, but that was probably because of the Nutella topping.

• 21 Mary T. // Sep 29, 2009 at 6:15 pm

PS Especially if you go to the Five Spot; have not been there in forever!

• 22 Lauren // Sep 29, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Perhaps it’s worth it to find out what texture people consider is a ‘good’ waffle? I like a very crispy outside – lightly golden, not burnt – with a soft, tender inside. A soggy or heavy waffle is a bad waffle in my book. (I never go out for waffles, plus I live in Nebraska, but I wanted to throw in my two cents.)

• 23 megan // Sep 29, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Lauren – Thanks!

Courtney – Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll keep it in mind if I trade in my current waffle maker.

Mary – It’s been way too long since I’ve seen you!! I will drop you a line if I’m headed out to try waffles somewhere.

• 24 alison // Sep 29, 2009 at 7:13 pm

All I can recommend is Off the Waffle, but it’s in Eugene, Oregon. A little far for you I know, but I’m throwing it out there just in case.

• 25 Emily // Sep 29, 2009 at 7:20 pm

The best waffles I’ve had in Seattle (or ever) are at Macrina in Belltown. They’re like Lauren described, a little crispy on the outside but really creamy on the inside. I’ve had dreams about them!

• 26 Erin // Sep 29, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Patty’s Eggnest has some good waffles. The buckwheat waffle at the Varsity might not be the lightest, fluffiest waffle ever but it sure is tasty.

• 27 Julie // Sep 29, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Liege waffles are amazing, but not the kind of texture you’ll get from your home waffles. There’s a guy in Cincinnati who makes the best Liege I’ve had– in New York, Paris, Brussels– god they’re good.

Anyway, for waffles (non-Liege), I use the recipe in The Best Recipe. Amazing– and yes, folding in egg whites is the key.

• 28 Julie // Sep 29, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Oops! Didn’t see that you didn’t need a recipe. I use a waffle iron that cost about $15. As much as I want one of those Waring ones that flip over, I get a great texture (for me, crunchy outside, soft and fluffy inside) with my Black and Decker.

• 29 sprizee // Sep 29, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Skip it and drive to Portland. Sure it’s nearly 3 hours away. BUT IT’S WORTH IT. Delicious and every waffle is only $4.

No, seriously.

• 30 Daryn // Sep 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm

I used to love the gingerbread waffles at jitterbug back in the day, not sure if they’re the same at coastal kitchen but worth a try…

• 31 Megan // Sep 30, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I like the orange cornmeal waffle at Chanterelle in Edmonds, but I think the cornmeal lends a more rustic texture than what you’re probably searching for. So much of the goodness of a waffle depends on the time elapsed between griddle and lips.

I think the search for the perfect waffle could be as contentious as the search for the perfect pizza!

• 32 Lori // Sep 30, 2009 at 1:00 pm

One of our local (northern California) waffle places has the best waffles in the world on the menu-Bacon Pecan.
    The batter has tons of bacon crumbled into it, combined with chopped pecans, topped with more pecan halves, a few strips of bacon, with melted butter and warm maple syrup oozing all over it.
    I only go there once a year but its 100% worth it.
    Not much help with your local quest, but you might give the recipe a try after next time you break out the waffle maker.

• 33 KimMae // Sep 30, 2009 at 5:30 pm

I look forward to hearing your results. The waffles I make (yeast, overnight batter, no beaten whites) are better than any restaurant waffles I’ve tried. Though I do live in Pittsburgh …

• 34 kathy // Sep 30, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Honey Bear Bakery at Lake Forest Park Center….waffles are fab, must also try their pumpkin waffles….out of this world : )

• 35 megan // Sep 30, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Thank you so much for all these suggestions, I’ll be eating waffles until Christmas, this is a very good thing.

• 36 Mary T. // Oct 1, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Megan, this is serious! Compile a list and let me know! : )

• 37 Leah // Oct 1, 2009 at 7:57 pm

I have always loved the sourdough waffle at Madison Park Cafe. Give it a try!!

• 38 Miss B // Oct 2, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I have had the greatest waffles at Macrina — the one in Belltown. I have to be honest, I find their baked goods/sweets to be fairly uneven in quality, and I don’t generally like them very much. But their bread and their brunch-y food is always amazing. The last time I had a waffle there, it was topped with honeyed peaches and lavender-honey whipped cream and pecans and oh, it was good.

• 39 Debbie Dubrow // Oct 3, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I LOVE the waffles at Arosa, but they are very sweet and dessert like, which might not be what you are trying to find. Still, if you get one, you should pair it with their excellent hot chocolate.

Volunteer Park Cafe makes an excellent yeasted waffle on weekends that might be what you are looking for…

Good luck!

• 40 Gretchen // Oct 9, 2009 at 2:05 pm

B&O Espresso in Capitol Hill. mmmm….

• 41 Ira Mann // Oct 10, 2009 at 7:36 pm

I really enjoy my waffle iron. I can’t wait to try a few more recipes. Thanks.

• 42 Nancy // May 6, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Cafe Luna in West Seattle has the best waffle you ever ate! Heavenly!