BlogHer Food recap

The Ocean

I had a great time at BlogHer Food this past weekend. It helped a lot that all the events were located in my old stomping grounds so I (sort of) knew my way around. I stuck to the photography classes for the day since I have this very nice DSLR that I, shamefully, still don’t know how to use properly. I learned a few new things, and heard the phrase “read the manual” in all three classes. (I did! None of it stuck.)

I was grateful to the people in the audience who pushed the question – what is a good light source for those of us who live in places where it is dark in the winter months? The answer was these Lowel EGO tabletop fluorescent lights. They stand on their own and cast light that makes everything look nice. This tip comes from Jaden at Steamy Kitchen, who talks about them and shows off some photos taken with one Lowel EGO and two lights on either side (which she prefers). She also points us to this set of two Lowel EGO lights with a seamless background sweep and set of background papers for $200.

The Girls

I want to say hello to people met and ran into at the conference. I saw a whole bunch of Seattle people including Gluten-free Girl her husband The Chef and their adorable daughter, Tea and Cookies, Not Without Salt, Savory Sweet Life and Cook & Eat. (Lara taught the Advanced Photography class with Matt Bites and the notes are up right here at Still Life With.)

It was really lovely to run into a few people I’ve met before: Patricia from Brownies For Dinner and Carrie Oliver from Oliver Ranch. And I was pleased to bump into Recipe Girl, The Food Librarian, Just Jen Recipes and Inuyaki. (I know I met more people, but my ailing memory fails me, please email to remind me!)

I was completely overwhelmed to meet Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks whose site I’ve been reading forever, and has been an internet presence longer than that. (Did you know she was one of the people who started ChickClick? Memories!) I practically attacked David Lebovitz in the hallway when I managed to find him in a moment when he wasn’t mobbed by fans. I had a few too many Silver Fox cocktails when I finally got to say hello to Elise of Simply Recipes at the after party. I wish I had found Ree of The Pioneer Woman because I wanted to tell her about my summers spent on my uncle’s ranch outside of Amber, Oklahoma.

A huge, huge thanks goes out to Ugly Green Chair for spending all weekend with me, shuttling me to and from the airport, shopping for emergency jeans, eating at Town Hall, witnessing a girl fight outside of the W (?!), regaling me with tales of Burning Man until late into the night and amusing me on Sunday when we were both too cranky to wait in line for brunch (the brewery was a good idea!). It was so very awesome to finally meet Formation of Me and Shutterbean and it was a huge awesome surprise to meet Joy the Baker. It was a pleasure to get to accidentally rename a cocktail with all of you.

· comments [16] · 09-28-2009 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 chez shoes // Sep 28, 2009 at 11:59 am

Sounds like fun! Would have loved to have spent the weekend with you and W, emergency jeans shopping and all :)

• 2 barrie // Sep 28, 2009 at 12:05 pm

wow, totally jealous that you met heidi and david. that sounds like such a great opportunity for you. glad you and some others were able to represent seattle!

• 3 megan // Sep 28, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Chez – We would have loved it if you could have joined us. Cross your fingers that the next conference I can afford will be in LA.

• 4 Sonya // Sep 28, 2009 at 1:42 pm

camera manuals are super duper boring…try a scott kelby book – easy to read and he helps it all make sense!!!

• 5 Seanna Lea // Sep 28, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Wow! That sounds like a great event.

• 6 Elise // Sep 28, 2009 at 2:27 pm

The funny thing is that we had already been talking earlier in the evening when you came up to me to say “Hello, I’m not Martha”. I’m thinking, “no, you’re MEGAN.” I had to check your nametag to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating! So glad you came down for the conference. Next time I’m in Seattle we should hang out and make refrigerator magnets or something.
    xoxo

• 7 megan // Sep 28, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Elise – Oh dear, I was conditioned! People know the blog name so at some point I just switched over. (See also: overly generous bartender.) And of course, I certainly don’t expect you to remember my name considering how mobbed you were all weekend. The conference and after party went really well and everyone I met agreed it was a success. The keynote was fantastic, thanks for the great advice and perspective!

• 8 Tea // Sep 28, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Come back to San Francisco, Marcello misses you already!

You were hilarious. Glad you had fun. We must make our own Silver Foxes up in Seattle soon.

xox

• 9 megan // Sep 28, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Tea – I am sorry I didn’t get to wave goodbye at the after party, we had tacos and were afraid we couldn’t wedge ourselves back into the room. Do let me know when you get back to Seattle and we’ll carefully evaluate which whiskey goes with which ginger ale.

• 10 BigSis // Sep 28, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Hey Megan,

Thanks for the review of the conference. Next year…LilSis and I are there! We’re off to BlogWorld in Vegas in 2 weeks, and we’re super excited about that so we can’t be too mopey about missing BlogHer Food!

• 11 justJENN // Sep 28, 2009 at 11:16 pm

It was so nice to meet you after all these years of reading. I wish we had more time to talk!

• 12 Chaya G. // Sep 29, 2009 at 8:47 am

Was Isa from Post Punk Kitchen there? That’s still my favorite food blog.

• 13 pam // Sep 29, 2009 at 10:39 am

oooh, how fun that you were hanging out with my friend regan! the internet makes the world a small place.

• 14 The Purple Foodie // Sep 29, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I’m reading these blogher recaps and am imagining myself there amidst all the fun. How I wish I weren’t 7 seas apart! Fun post!

• 15 Elisa Camahort Page // Sep 29, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words and for being part of the inaugural BlogHer Food Conference.

After every conference, we send out a post-conference survey link to every attendee. I hope you will take 15 minutes to help us quantify your responses (they can be anonymous btw :)

In the next couple of days, we’ll send you the survey link in our final BlogHer Food ’09 attendee newsletter. We’re excited to read your suggestions to make BlogHer Food ’10 even better! (And yes, that means there will be a “next year”!)

Best,
    Elisa, for the BlogHer Team

• 16 Chou // Oct 6, 2009 at 3:33 pm

What a wonderful chance to get together with a bunch of inspiring writers. Fun!