you should go eat at Delancey

the food at Delancey is outstanding

One of the things I was looking forward to finding the time to do post-reception was finally getting to eat at Delancey. Delancey, if you don’t know, is the restaurant opened by Brandon (whom you might know as the husband of Molly), and Molly (she who writes Orangette and the author of A Homemade Life). I’ve read updates with anticipation as the restaurant come together, all the delays and triumphs, on Molly’s site and on the Delancey Twitter stream, so the expectation was immense, like going to a rock concert you bought tickets for back in March.

We went under the worst possible conditions. I was hungry verging on angry (we call this hangry), and Scott was tired from getting stuck late at work on a Friday. It was getting dark earlier than we were used to and we had settled into what we shorthand as A Bad Date, an evening where we just accept that the mood will be cranky as neither of us has the energy to cheer the other up but we need to eat and since we are out of the house we might as well have dinner. Delancey, however, is magic and banished all traces A Bad Date. We left elated.

the food at Delancey is outstanding

We were lucky enough to get seats at the bar where you can observe the pizza making in action and saw how much care they put into everything. The food was amazing and they truly love everything they offer. The service was warm and caring and they took fantastic care of us.

We got the burrata (you need to eat this, Molly talks about it here) and the very last of the tomato and corn salad before the season ends. I do wish we’d also had room for the vegetable salad made from things they had pickled themselves. We got two pizzas (each pizza could feed two, but we don’t shy away from leftovers) and the proscuitto was outstandingly yummy. The house made fennel sausage, however, was the one Scott was still talking about 24 hours later. (Our plan is to find a way to bribe them to have an available supply of fennel sausage somehow appear in our fridge on a weekly basis.) It was too dark to get a picture of the plum crumble we shared for dessert, but let’s just take a moment to remember how good it was. Molly is sweet enough to offer up the recipe.

the food at Delancey is outstanding

Scott and I live in an area of Seattle sometimes called Garlic Gulch due to the number of Italian immigrants that settled here. It’s easier for us to get wood fired pizza than any other food, and we’ve had a lot of it. I say without hesitation that the pizza at Delancey is the best I’ve eaten.

I was pleased (and not at all surprised) to find a table full of Tea and Cookies, Simply Recipes, Not Without Salt, Seattle Bon Vivant and Savory Sweet Life relaxing after attending the Food Snap conference that day. It was the coolest to run into you all!

The other thing I took note of was the din of the happy diners. Delancey is small but the good mood was amazing. It was clear that everything was just right with the world for everybody there. Brandon and Molly have put a tremendous amount of love into Delancey and it translates very clearly, kudos!

· comments [21] · 09-21-2009 · categories:food · seattle ·

• 1 Tina // Sep 21, 2009 at 6:02 am

It looks so good, I wish I lived nearby! I’m going to my local cheese store to see if they carry burrata, because it looks delicious.

I took Molly’s book with me on vacation, it was one of those books I didn’t want to end. I wish them all the best with Delancey.

• 2 Erica // Sep 21, 2009 at 6:11 am

I need to read this book! And now I have to go to this restaurant. It’s such a wonderful story, I am so happy for their success.

• 3 Uncle Beefy // Sep 21, 2009 at 8:38 am

Good to know, Miss Megan. Tried to go to Delancey last night but they were full up pretty quick which left us with a 40 minute wait that our blood sugar levels weren’t prepared for. The smell coming from the place was AH-mazing and it was super cute inside so another time. Soon… I hope.

Clearly need to read Molly’s book too.

• 4 Seanna Lea // Sep 21, 2009 at 9:38 am

Gosh, I think my husband needs to read your hangry / bad date descriptions. It covers what happens to us on an unfortunately frequent basis. Too grumpy/tired/hungry to cook or do anything even remotely useful.

• 5 megan // Sep 21, 2009 at 10:01 am

Uncle Beefy – I know, the long wait is a blessing and a curse, I hope they have continued success but when you’re hungry…

Seanna Lea – I have to admit having a name for what is happening helps diffuse a lot of unfocused bickering. It can either salvage the evening or at least keep us from being angry with each other.

• 6 Emira // Sep 21, 2009 at 10:55 am

Yeah for Brandon and Molly. So happy — but not at all surprised — that Delancey is so delicious. Definitely going to be on our itinerary next time we’re in town.

• 7 Julie // Sep 21, 2009 at 12:50 pm

I wish I were on that coast for a bit to try it! I’ve been enjoying reading about Delancey exploits on Orangette!

• 8 carol // Sep 21, 2009 at 12:56 pm

mmm, i need a seattle visit soon! also, hangry perfectly describes what happens to me all the time — brilliant!

• 9 megan // Sep 21, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Tea – I’m always up for more pizza!

• 10 Tea // Sep 21, 2009 at 1:37 pm

So nice to see you there too! Had no idea you were hangry–you were as sweet and friendly as always. Think we need to make a pizza date soon, don’t you? :-)

• 11 alice // Sep 21, 2009 at 1:39 pm

It was such a fun evening seeing you and your husband I’ve only read about. And the burrata was out of this world.

• 12 whitney // Sep 21, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Next time I’m in town we MUST go there!

• 13 Janna // Sep 21, 2009 at 4:03 pm

My better-half and I are all too familiar with what ‘Hangry’ and ‘A Bad Date’ feel like. Yet words to describe
    each— are not only apt— but also witty enough to bring the fun(ny) back to the night. I love it!

Next time you’re in Ballard, you’ll have to give the padron pizza a try. And if you want company, we live nearby.

• 14 megan // Sep 21, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Janna – Thanks, I have not heard of Padron Pizza. I’ll let you know next time we’re headed up to Ballard.

• 15 kickpleat // Sep 21, 2009 at 10:04 pm

I can’t wait to visit Delancey’s! We’ll be in Seattle in October and I’m so eager. Glad you gave it the thumbs up.

• 16 danielle // Sep 22, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I loved delancey too! We went a few weekends ago, but I just posted about it yesterday!

• 17 Clara // Sep 22, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Sounds great! Did you notice any kids there? We need to think, “kid-friendly” these days!

• 18 Gina // Sep 22, 2009 at 4:24 pm

ooohh…I’ve been dreaming about Delancy from St. Louis! Since we won’t be anywhere near there anytime soon, thanks for sharing your great experience.

• 19 Elise // Sep 23, 2009 at 9:45 am

Great photo with Danny and Brandon in the background! So great to run into you and Scott at Delancey. Couldn’t agree more on the burrata. It’s a must have. Also loved the padron pepper pizza.

• 20 megan // Sep 23, 2009 at 11:40 am

Elise – I even got Molly, she’s in the background all the way to the right. I will try the padron pepper pizza next, thanks!

• 21 almond butter chocolate chip cookies — Brownies for Dinner // Apr 22, 2010 at 5:37 pm

[...] All this means is that I eat healthy most of the time but I’m not going to count or measure or nitpick over details. I know when I’m way out of balance (like when I eat 5 brownies in 1 day) and I know when I’m doing well. And generally doing well to me means I’m not starving or worse: hangry (hungry + angry = hangry. A term I picked up from reading not martha). [...]