current favorite iPhone apps

Here are the apps and games I love right now:

• TweetDeck You know, for Twitter.
  • Monkey Island I never played the original and am digging playing this. You can switch between the new graphics and the original ones. I think the music is new as well.
  • Spider, The Secret of Bryce Manor Super wonderful game, with a deeper mystery going on so playing it through a second time is still interesting. Spooky and a bit touching.
  • Kindle for iPhone It isn’t as pleasurable to use as Stanza, but the ability to buy books easily has won over a few times.
  • Skype for the iPhone Setting this up was easy and I was conferencing with no trouble.
  • NPR News If only they had a “skip this segment” button. I think that is coming, then it will be the greatest thing of all things ever.
  • Geared A nicely done gear arranging game. (I think it’s about to jump in price when new levels are added).

· comments [12] · 09-17-2009 · categories:iphone · technology ·

• 1 Mamaphunk // Sep 17, 2009 at 6:52 am

I have been playing “Spider” for two weeks straight and am still addicted to it! Probably my favorite iPhone game so far!

• 2 mam // Sep 17, 2009 at 7:59 am

I use the Public Radio app for npr listening. All the shows are on demand – the national ones and even regional ones that I can’t listen to on my regular radio – and you can listen to the live radio stream from all over the country. I haven’t tried the NPR News app, but I wouldn’t give up the Public Radio one for anything.

• 3 megan // Sep 17, 2009 at 8:38 am

Mam – You know, I’m embarrassed to admit I have not updated that from the original (streaming only) version. Thanks so much for the tip off to the on demand option!

• 4 Jennifer // Sep 17, 2009 at 9:04 am

Quick question here – for someone who is admittedly addicted to my iPod, is the Kindle thing a big deal? Granted, I totally understand the whole idea behind having a bunch of stuff all in one place, but I’m still of the idea that it’s great to have the actual book in your hands, whether you buy it or check it out from the library…

• 5 megan // Sep 17, 2009 at 9:12 am

Jennifer – For me it’s a combination of having a local public library that is frustrating, doing a lot of traveling this Autumn and being able to read in bed with the bedside lamp turned off. I like the way the Stanza reader works (it’s interface is far more refined), but it’s admittedly easier to purchase books for the Kindle for iPhone. (This is setting aside all thoughts on DRM and the evilness thereof.)

• 6 Kim U // Sep 17, 2009 at 9:26 am

My latest iphone game addiction is CookingDash. It’s apparently a version of an old cell phone game, but lots of fun regardless. I also spent an unreasonable amount of time playing MustEatBirds, which has a simple concept but is somehow quite addictive. My only non-game new app is SwedeShop – a shopping tool for IKEA. Really made a recent visit to IKEA in Atlanta easier.

• 7 Jennifer // Sep 19, 2009 at 4:23 am

Thanks Megan!! I guess I’m just really lucky to have a really great library system here in Central Florida that’s really, really easy to use….

• 8 Daryn // Sep 19, 2009 at 10:24 am

I’m totally addicted to Doodle Jump… BEST GAME EVAR!!!

• 9 megan // Sep 19, 2009 at 10:34 am

Mam – I’ve ben testing out the Public Radio app and found that the one thing I really want, to listen to Morning Edition but not have to be up at 7 a.m. to do so, isn’t available on demand there. It is on NPR News so, for my needs, that app wins so far.

• 10 Carrie Sullivan // Sep 21, 2009 at 5:57 am

How does the Skype for iPhone work? Does it work on the wi-fi network or on the cellular? I had skype on my laptop, but then I got Fios and everytime I use it it shuts my router down. Wonder if it would work on the iPhone? Anyone else use it for the iPhone?

• 11 megan // Sep 21, 2009 at 9:06 am

Hi Carrie – It worked just fine over wi-fi for me. SMS and Skype calls you pay for.

• 12 megan // Sep 21, 2009 at 9:06 am

Hi Carrie – It worked just fine over wi-fi for me. According to the Skype iPhone page you pay for Skype calls and SMS.