back from being Receptioned

welcome bag of snacks for wedding guests

I’m so very tired today. Scott and I returned from our wedding reception in Ohio yesterday, went to bed really early and slept for a solid twelve hours. The week was a blur of planning and prepping, the party went really well and all the usual things applied (we didn’t get to spend enough time with anybody! we didn’t get enough pictures! I didn’t get to eat dessert!) A huge, huge thanks to all the far flung friends who came, especially Steph and Ryan (miss you guys!) and Cinnamon and Andrew, whom I’d never met in real life and was very honored to have attend (we’ll have to make up for the missing breakfast soon).

I don’t have pictures back from family and friends yet, but here is what I pulled off of my cameras:

perogis from Sokolowskis University Inn in Cleveland

We had lunch at Sokolowski’s with my mom and stuffed ourselves on perogis. (Oh perogis how I love you.)

The Waynes!

We stayed in the secret and fabulous upstairs apartment of a member of the recently reunited Waynes. Wish we could have seen the show.

breakfast at Luckys Cafe in Tremont

Laurie took us to the most amazing breakfast in Tremont where we ate outdoors at Lucky’s and lingered as long as we could, it was a lovely morning.

There were a few places in Cleveland I was hoping to get to but we ran out of time. I really, really wanted to grab another Ramos Gin Fizz at the Velvet Tango Room, wanted to have dinner at Lola’s (last time I went there they were still in the Tremont space and we stumbled in there by mistake not knowing right away how incredible it was that we had a table without a reservation), the best corned beef sandwich at Nate’s Deli in Fairview Park, and the new (to me at least) Greenhouse Tavern, the first certified green restaurant in Ohio.

update: The New York Times published this travel piece just after we returned, 36 Hours in Cleveland, and they mention a few of the places I like. In the slideshow they also recommend Big Fun (think, what Archie McPhee used to be).

favor bags, assembled

Scott and his dad helped me assemble the favors including the letterpressed cards from Iron Curtain Press, caramels from Curio Confections (Brie Vanilla Bean, Espresso Hazelnut, and Goat’s Milk). The favor bags are from Martha Stewart, but we discarded the paper tops and used handmade tissue paper flowers instead.

We gave people staying overnight bags of snacks and water. I was second guessing this option after reading this thread at Ask Metafilter, but considering we all stumbled back to our rooms around 2 a.m. I suspect everybody else appreciated having a bottle of water and some pretzels as much as we did.

Salt Fork Lodge reception room, with the last of the sunset

Our reception was at the Salt Fork Lodge, held in a tall open room with a view of the sunset. Afterwards we all moved outside to a private bonfire area and had smores. I hadn’t seen the lodge or the grounds before so I was thrilled with all the spaces, the lodge was very comfortable and accomodated our crazy group of family and friends with seeming ease.

Martha Stewart pom pom decoration lit from inside using tiny individual LED lights

Since we were decorating from afar the Martha Stewart pom poms were a great option, I assembled them at home, shipped the flat to Ohio and all we had to do was open them up. The ceiling of our reception room was too tall to hang things from so we used them as centerpieces. They are lit from inside using a few little LED lights. We took these outdoors later on. More pictures and details soon, I shed my camera before we moved outdoors so I’m hoping somebody else got good photographs of the ourdoor decorations, I am looking forward to telling you how we did them.

· comments [27] · 09-15-2009 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 becky // Sep 15, 2009 at 11:01 am

Oh how wonderful! I was born in Cambridge, just south of Salt Fork, and my cousin is the gameskeeper there. I remember when they built it, and Dad said it had to be the only vertical golf course in the country!

• 2 s'mee // Sep 15, 2009 at 11:03 am

I’m filing this away for the day when my daughters ask “How should we decorate the reception?” – Beautiful. Thanks.

• 3 fert // Sep 15, 2009 at 11:05 am

Megan, Congratulations again!!! So glad you guys had such a great time at your reception, too :) LED lights were very cool!

• 4 Chaya G. // Sep 15, 2009 at 11:12 am

OMG – I am feeling pangs of nostalgia for Tremont. A good friend of mine used to run a poetry press there where he hosted these really wild all night readings. I had so much fun in Tremont. And I agree…Lucky’s is really, really yum. Congratulations on getting married!

• 5 Shelley Noble // Sep 15, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Brilliantly done! And much happiness to you both!

• 6 Abril // Sep 15, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Congratulations!!! I love the center pieces.

• 7 Seanna Lea // Sep 15, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Congratulations!

I love that you (like me actually) didn’t make your centerpieces really tall. I was at a wedding a couple of years ago where the centerpieces were so tall you couldn’t see people speaking or even people on the other side of the table!

• 8 Abby // Sep 15, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Love the pom-pom lights! Everything sounds like it was so much fun. Can’t wait for more pics! (Did I miss the wedding pics? I know you eloped, but I thought some were coming.)

• 9 megan // Sep 15, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Abby – You didn’t miss the wedding pictures, I have not posted any yet. Bunch of reasons but, really, what it comes down to is inertia :)

• 10 Kim // Sep 15, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Love the centerpieces and favors….if I wasn’t already married, I would totally do this! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!

• 11 Jaden // Sep 15, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Congratulations!!!! Look at the sunset colors! Totally gorgeous.

• 12 prasti // Sep 15, 2009 at 8:09 pm

i love the centerpieces! congratulations on your marriage.

if i had known you were making a trip to cleveland there is also lilly’s handmade chocolates just a few doors down from lucky’s. they have bacon truffles :). i will have to check out greenhouse tavern.

• 13 Michele // Sep 15, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Congratulations and I LOVE that idea for a centerpeice! SO pretty pretty pretty!

• 14 Erica // Sep 16, 2009 at 5:59 am

Looks like a fantastic week! Congratulations!!

• 15 megan // Sep 16, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Thanks everybody! More coming soon, photographs on CDs are currently on their way across the country to me.

• 16 Diana // Sep 16, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Congratulations Megan! I’m a fairly new reader of your blog and didn’t realize that you had ties to Ohio. I live in Cleveland and know of all the places you mentioned. Not sure if you’re a Food Network fan (or Iron Chef fan) but Lola’s is one of Michael Simon’s restaurants – Gourmet Mac n’ Cheese to DIE for!!

• 17 Tamiko // Sep 16, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Loved the centerpieces, too, and am so curious–where did you get the LED lights?

• 18 megan // Sep 17, 2009 at 7:09 am

I’m so happy to read your post about Cleveland and that you had a great time!

• 19 megan // Sep 17, 2009 at 8:48 am

Tamiko – I looked at a few options, including making our own LED throwies, and ended up using these economy balloon lights. Don’t be afraid of the blinking shown on that page, they can be set to blink or just stay on. We simply tucked them here and there. Kids had a huge amount of fun playing with them. I’m going to talk about all of this in more detail later on as well, as soon as some better photographs make it to me.

• 20 Ry Sal // Sep 18, 2009 at 4:39 am

Congratulations, looks like it was beautiful!

• 21 amy // Sep 18, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Congrats again! And awesome … can’t wait to see more party scenes! (Having wed earlier this year, I was also pleasantly surprised to use these same stamps for my thank yous – the envelopes were a yellow-orange so it looked like I meant to do it!)

• 22 Tamiko // Sep 18, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Thanks so much, Megan! My sister’s getting married sometime next year, and has already thought about similar decorations. I’ll have to pass this on to her.

• 23 shelterrific » Blog Archive » blogwatch: where we were clicking this week // Sep 19, 2009 at 5:20 pm

[...] shares some great, simple wedding ideas plus some fun things to do in and around Cleveland — click here to start, but be sure to check out some of her other posts as [...]

• 24 Candace // Sep 20, 2009 at 9:41 am

Oh, Sokolowski’s, how I love thee. Makes me want to jump in the car right now and drive the four hours to get there, just for the pierogi. Yum.

Congratulations!

• 25 Katie // Nov 20, 2009 at 11:29 am

First, I absolutely love your blog, my soon-to-be husband and I are totally going to be trying out your shoe rack idea! Second, I’m attempting making these (the poofs) for our reception in January, any tips or tricks to pass on? It looks like you just used Stewart’s directions. but just left them as halves, correct? I also love that you’re from Ohio, I’m in Dayton and went to school at Kent State. yay Ohio!

• 26 Autumn // Dec 4, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Hi – I love your centerpieces and i’d like to do the same for a party in decorating. Can you tell me what you used for the LED lights? Thanks

• 27 megan // Dec 11, 2013 at 11:22 am

Autumn – I used individual lights that can be found in the floral or wedding section of large craft stores. I was just at Joanns and they had a bunch of new (and smaller) options in the floral section that weren’t available a few years back.