thing I like: Sheperd’s Grain flour

Shepherds Grain Northwest-Grown All-Purpose Flour

I’ve written about Shepherd’s Grain flour on this site before, so I was excited to hear a founder of the company speak at the International Food Blogger’s Conference. What wasn’t entirely clear to me before was that Shepherd’s Grain (flour made from wheat grown in Washington state) is a separate company from Stone-Buhr. Stone-Buhr stocks the all purpose flour in stores, which is excellent because it makes the flour available to us in larger grocery chains including QFC and Fred Meyer stores here in Washington. Shepherd’s Grain has a few different products including high and low gluten flour, whole wheat and cake flour.

Shepherds Grain founders

Shepherd’s Grain was started by two long time farmers who wanted to build a market for more sustainable farming. The whole chain of product has nothing but advantages, the farmers are paid a fair amount for their wheat, the farming practices help preserve the quickly eroding topsoil of the farmlands in the Pacific Northwest where it’s grown, and the consumer knows where their flour comes from and can even track their flour back to the farm at FindTheFarmer.com and see pictures of the farmers on the Growers pages. You can read more about the company’s sustainablity here, their farming practices have been certified “environmentally and socially responsible” by Food Alliance. The company keeps a monthly newsletter so you can keep in touch with what they are up to. It isn’t any more expensive than other flours, and if you can find it I encourage you to buy it. Supporting this company means you are supporting sustainable farming, gentler treatment of our farmlands and some awfully cool people.

update:Seattle Tall Poppy reminded me that you can listen to an mp3 of a session of IFBC that Carl Coopers, one of the founders of Shepherd’s Grain, spoke at called “Passionate Purveyors & Producers”. Carl’s talk about Shepherd’s Grain starts at 8:24.

· comments [8] · 09-1-2009 · categories:food ·

• 1 Andrea // Sep 1, 2009 at 7:33 am

So cool! Thank you for sharing this information. I love knowing where my food comes from!

• 2 Josh // Sep 1, 2009 at 9:39 am

In fact, Stone-Buhr flour is less expensive! I just did a survey around Seattle and compared to other branded and organic flour (besides private-label and the 800lb gorilla) we are $1-3 dollars less per 5lb bag!

• 3 splatgirl // Sep 1, 2009 at 9:46 am

This is so cool, and how lucky you are to have local flour! I’ve been making pizza like crazy ever since I finished our wood-fired oven, and I dislike how flour is often the only anonymously sourced ingredient. I’m almost at the point of buying a Magic Mill and grinding my own, but that would still be with non-local grain.

• 4 megan // Sep 1, 2009 at 9:56 am

Josh – Do you specifically mean the Sheperd’s Grain all purpose flour?

• 5 Sandra // Sep 1, 2009 at 2:04 pm

This is really neat, and I’ll check it out the next time I need flour! Also, I’m sorry, I don’t want to be That Commenter, but you’ve misspelled shepherd every single time you’ve typed it and it makes my brain spasm.

• 6 Heather // Sep 2, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I just wish I could get their other flour varieties (cake, bread, whole wheat) to try from a retail source!

• 7 just barrie // Sep 3, 2009 at 9:18 am

companies and stories like this give me hope for farmers out there. nice work.

• 8 Deidra // Feb 5, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Not to mention Karl, one of the men behind Shepherd’s Grain, is just a great guy. Unfortunately, I live in Utah and don’t have access to their flour, but I’ve been to several sustainability meetings with Karl and think he’s just great!