links: misc

AAA alternatives? | Ask Metafilter.

Hastily made Cleveland tourism plans | Ask Metafilter.

Toothpick Pocket. This one is for Scott, who is always looking for a toothpick. Thanks to Carolyn for sending the link.

4th of July « Eliza Truitt Photography. This all looks so joyful, I love the way Eliza captures moments. (Also, why didn’t I know this was going on?)

Shelter: Wisdom From Dr. Wende. A great perspective on clutter and why it’s worth getting rid of.

Why more young women should start using IUDs. – By Kate Klonick – Slate Magazine.

· comments [9] · 08-6-2009 · categories:links · misc ·

• 1 Erika // Aug 6, 2009 at 8:35 am

I couldn’t figure out how to leave a comment on the IUD article, but thought I would share my story here. I had an IUD for 4 years after the birth of my second child. For the first couple of years it was great, no hormones, no worries about getting pregnant, no periods. But eventually, I could tell my body was cycling and it wanted to have a period. I know that sounds weird, but I just felt like I needed a good cleansing, you know. Eventually, I had the IUD removed and I feel much more in tune with my natural cycle. Worrying about birth control is kinda a pain now, but at least I don’t feel all wacked out.

Just something to think about.

• 2 Meadow // Aug 6, 2009 at 10:18 am

I can’t believe the IUD story is what is finally convincing me to post, except that I LOVE my IUD. I have had it since my little girl was born 3.5 years ago and haven’t had a period since then. This alone is enough to make me recommend it to everyone but there is also the not having to remember to take the pill and the unexpected benefit of having to actually make an effort to go off birth control on those (thankfully infrequent) moments when I think I want another child. This is not a trivial side benefit.

I think it is different for everyone but I have never had any problems with mine and love, love, love it.

Great site, great links. Thanks.

• 3 Eliza // Aug 6, 2009 at 10:39 am

The 4th of July WAS joyful! And sweaty. And I could not get enough of those root beer floats…

• 4 Mim // Aug 6, 2009 at 11:42 am

We spent a day and a half in Cleveland earlier this summer and I have to agree with the one post on mete- Cleveland has an undeserved bad rep! We loved the Botanical Garden and raved about it to everyone we saw!

• 5 Sarah // Aug 6, 2009 at 11:48 am

Word on the IUD article. I’ve been trying to convince my friends (some of whom have stopped using the Pill because they hate the side effects, but haven’t bothered to find another stable contraceptive solution yet – eek!)

Erika – I’m guessing you are talking about the Mirena IUD, which releases a constant low dose of hormonal birth control, and which eventually causes most women to stop having their periods. The Paraguard, on the other hand, is made of copper with no hormones, and doesn’t mess with your cycle. In fact, most women have somewhat heavier periods with the copper IUD. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about it. Slightly heavier periods nonwithstanding, I love mine.

• 6 Jen // Aug 6, 2009 at 4:43 pm

you’re much safer from poking yourself if you pack some floss with you instead of toothpicks. I found it very handy after I forgot to take the floss from a dentist visit out of my bag, and now I carry it on purpose.

• 7 just barrie // Aug 6, 2009 at 4:50 pm

oh my, that toothpick pocket must’ve been created for my boyfriend. genius!

• 8 Carolyn J. // Aug 6, 2009 at 9:07 pm

I have been preaching about the Mirena to anyone who’d listen for years. I’m on my second one and planning for a third. It saved my life – The Pill was causing high blood pressure and making me miserable. I do still have a slight period which is OK with me.

• 9 Jessica // Aug 8, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I too love my IUD (Paragard, no hormones for me with my insanely high hormone related breast cancer risk, and I still get a period regularly. So Erika, I agree with Sarah, you must have used the Mirena.) And I am one of those few who DON’T get heavier periods with it, mine were really heavy before. So with my IUD, DivaCup, and the cloth pads I’ve made, my uterus is as green as possible!