an afternoon at Urban Craft Uprising

We had a great time at Urban Craft Uprising yesterday! Congrats to Moxie, Kristen and the rest of the UCU staff for putting together such a great show. Here are some of the booths we visited:

pins from Schmancy
Kristen’s pins, so cute!

Creature Crochet book by Kristen Rask
Kristen’s book Creature Crochet due out in September.

Button and Stitch book by Kristen Rask
And another book by Kristen, Button and Stitch, due out in December.

large needle felted sculpture by Made by Moxie
Moxie’s big Fisher-Price figurine.

Made by Moxie fingerpuppets!
And fingerpuppets!

Dave Sheely Designs booth at UCU
Dave and Mary Sheely.

Esther necklace made by Dave Sheely Design
One of the Esther necklaces from Dave Sheely Designs.

cupcake tree painting by Cakespy
A happy cupcake tree from Cakespy. I wish this were real.

lots of little watercolors by Cakespy
Lots of little original watercolors from Cakespy, including another in the zombie series. I think I need more cupcake zombie art.

Idolatre Steampunk dress from Norwescon
Idolatre had some amazing clothes, corsets and leggings and this steampunk dress from her Norwescon 32 Fannish Fetish Fashion Show.

panties by Idolatre
Cute panties with ruffles from Idolatre.

Chroizo salt by Secret Stash Sea Salt
The much recommended Chorizo salt from Secret Stash Sea Salts.

Vanilla salt by Secret Stash Sea Salt
I have some of this Vanilla Salt from Secret Stash Sea Salts and put it on peanut butter toast and ice cream. Delicious.

Matthew Porter monkey painting
A painting I covet from Matthew Porter. Trivia, he owns Blue Bottle Art Gallery with is wife Andrea, who is a main board member of the Grassroots Business Association.

Matthew Porter reusable wall stickers
Really sweet reusable wall stickers from Matthew Porter.

Krystalyn Kae handbags booth at UCU
I stumbled across the booth of Crystalyn Kae handbags.

Crescent bag from Krytalyn Kae
This Crescent bag from Crystalyn Kae is popular, I see one on somebody wherever I go.

Dinah Coops necklaces, lovely
Dinah Coops makes some lovely designs, and all of her things are made from sustainable materials

napkins from Dinah Coops
Really lovely napkins from Dinah Coops.

dress form earrings from Polymath Design Lab
I love these dress form earrings from Polymath Design Lab.

Polymath Design Lab necklaces
The Polymath Design Lab necklaces were so delicate.

Polymath Design Lab cufflinks
Scott really liked the Ag cufflinks from Polymath Design Lab.

I narrowly missed getting to visit with Susan Beal who was there with her book Button It Up, and Brookelynn Morris who was there with her book Feltique. Sorry guys!

· comments [20] · 08-3-2009 · categories:events · seattle ·

• 1 Trisha // Aug 3, 2009 at 7:17 am

Chorizo salt sounds like the best idea ever. Thanks for highlighting so many beautiful things.

• 2 montague // Aug 3, 2009 at 8:11 am

oh, i love those little eggs~

• 3 steffy // Aug 3, 2009 at 9:42 am

I must know when that creature crochet book comes out… it would be the perfect gift for my friend!

• 4 just barrie // Aug 3, 2009 at 10:27 am

while ucu is always fun to look at, i get the feeling that we’re limited to the same artists every time. i’d love for the next ucu to be open to a totally new line of artists, with stuff we’ve never seen before! sure, the journals made from old school books are cute, and yarnia is awesome but i’ve seen them at every craft show in seattle. surely, we have more talent out there! let’s spice it up a bit, right?

• 5 Seanna Lea // Aug 3, 2009 at 11:06 am

I love the geek cufflinks. I would happily wear those as earrings pretty much anywhere (if made into earrings… not sure if my ears could handle the cufflink backings).

• 6 Dinah Coops // Aug 3, 2009 at 12:23 pm

I was a vendor for the first time at this UCU show and from the inside out–what an amazing show to participate in. Not only is it well set up for visiting fun with swag bags, raffles, demos (everyone is so happy)–but it is also incredibly well organized and promoted by its dedicated team–Moxie, Kristen, Mike and Lindsey. My only regret is that I didn’t have enough time to look at all of the other artist’s wares! So thanks for the little recap of some of the things I missed!

• 7 Melissa (oddharmonic) // Aug 3, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Moxie’s dog is based on a Fisher-Price Little People figurine — Playskool’s figurines were square. It brings back good memories, I had one in a mini-bus set when I was little.

• 8 Eliza // Aug 3, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Those finger puppets are so cool…

• 9 Shannon Henry // Aug 3, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Wow… I’m so flattered to be included! I had no idea that was you at the show – I’ve been reading you for years! This was also my first time at UCU, and I had such a wonderful time at the show. It was so well planned, and just generally a ton of fun!

• 10 Mary T // Aug 3, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Well, Barrie, it was *our* first time at UCU.

• 11 Stefanie // Aug 4, 2009 at 7:19 am

Hi! Thank you so much for taking such cute pictures of my clock dress and rufflebutts. I also feel obligated to give a little shout out to Barrie- it was my first UCU ever. :)

• 12 megan // Aug 4, 2009 at 7:46 am

Melissa – Thanks for the correction, fixed now.

Seanna Lee – I think they are available as earrings as well, check her Etsy shop when she gets it restocked.

• 13 megan // Aug 4, 2009 at 8:21 am

Shannon – Oh, I’m excited to know you recognize my site, I never would have presumed! I was the one who asked about the Douglas Adams reference. Thanks for letting me take pictures.

• 14 just barrie // Aug 4, 2009 at 12:12 pm

to stefanie and mary t – my apologies to you guys. i should’ve noted that i did see some new stuff, but the bulk of ucu were from vendors i’ve seen countless times at seattle events. not that that’s bad at all. i just want to give more people like you two a chance to spread your wings!

• 15 Andrea Porter // Aug 4, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Thanks for including Matthew is your UCU round – up! The stickers are a brand new thing for him so it’s great you included them!

• 16 jamieofalltrade // Aug 6, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Chorizo salt?!?! Yes, please!

• 17 Mary T // Aug 7, 2009 at 10:34 am

I regret very much that i did not buy some of that salt — we got too busy, too. thank god for online stores. i also had to add that Moxie has the coolest tattoo known to woman — a tattoo of the fisher-price little people blond lady!

• 18 Janna // Aug 8, 2009 at 3:22 pm

You rock, Megan.

Thanks for the sweet round-up of photos of so many unique vendors. It was our first time doing the show, and we can’t wait to bring our salts to the December fair, too.

Janna
    Secret Stash Sea Salts

• 19 CakeSpy // Aug 10, 2009 at 9:03 pm

OK…so here you’ve zeroed in on basically what amounts to my favorite things at the show…and then discovered some that I didn’t even get to see…and, as a cherry on top, you included me in the list of awesomeness too! I am absolutely honored. And, it makes me hungry for even more of my new favorite food-topping, Secret Stash Sea Salts (I got the olive one!).

• 20 add // Sep 7, 2009 at 5:07 am

add…

I think this same and absolutly agree!…