simple summer drink: Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Too hot to cook? Too hot to even prepare drinks that require shaking? I can relate, it’s hot here. (Seriously, it was 103 in Seattle yesterday. Nobody in Seattle has air conditioning. Temperatures over 90 get old really fast.) The only thing to do is buy a bag of ice and some grapefruit juice, make some Salty Dogs and sit in front of a fan.

Salty Dog

• salt the rim of a glass
  • fill glass with ice
  • one part gin (or vodka), three parts grapefruit juice
  • retreat to cool area

If you’re not a salted rim sort you can skip it, that is called a Greyhound. There are conflicting reports on whether gin or vodka is the proper spirit to use but, let’s face it, it’s too hot to give a damn.

· comments [16] · 07-30-2009 · categories:drink ·

• 1 Chocolate and Toast // Jul 30, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Perfect, I was just tiring of the gin & tonic slushie . . . it was 106 in Portland yesterday, just so wrong!! Now I’m wondering if I have an extension cord long enough to put my little mini fridge right next to my chaise lounge, outside in the shade. You know, so I don’t have to actually move to get a drink refill?

• 2 Sarah // Jul 30, 2009 at 2:45 pm

My PDX Heat Wave drink of choice is my rhubarb-infused vodka mixed with lemonade, garnished with mint. Honestly, though, anything with ice cubes in it will do.

• 3 Darci // Jul 30, 2009 at 5:33 pm

This my favorite drink of the summer. I have also ben enjoying the grapefruit vodka and tonic. Lovely mix of taste and texture

• 4 Michelle // Jul 30, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Aw, salty dog was my mom’s favorite drink, though my parents stopped drinking when I was still in elementary school. I remember them talking about it, though.

I am not a grapefruit juice fan, so during hot weather it’s mai tais all the way.

• 5 Lane // Jul 30, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Advice from a Southerner:

Take a “flour sack” kitchen towel (thinner the better), soak it in cool water with a splash of rose or orange water, wring it out and tie it around your neck like a scarf. Rinse. Repeat.

Enjoy with a cool beverage.

• 6 RTBoyce // Jul 30, 2009 at 9:07 pm

I am partial to limeade with gin over ice in a tall glass. Much simpler than a gin and tonic since there is no lime-squeezing when you really want that drink: make a whole pitcher of limeade for the fridge and add gin as the heat wave requires. Sweetness can vary as you please, and no icky corn syrup aftertaste from the tonic water.

• 7 Whitney // Jul 30, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Sitting in front of a fan while wearing the damp towel will increase your enjoyment and its cooling powers.

Life without AC isn’t worth living here in Georgia, so it’s hard for me to imagine a place where people just don’t have it!

• 8 Lorri // Jul 31, 2009 at 7:24 am

I’ve heard lately about vodka and grapefruit juice with a little basil. My friend said it was quite good.

• 9 Pavlina // Jul 31, 2009 at 8:08 am

I grew up in Seattle ages ago. I remember a summer heat wave was temps in the 80s! :) My sister just moved back a few years ago, and managed to score a remod. house with AC. I was like, since when do house in Seattle have AC? Anyway, I’m sure she is grateful for it if it is over a 100 degrees! Imagine, I never in my wildest dreams can imagine a summer day in Seattle over 90! Just goes to show you I haven’t lived there in over 20 years.

• 10 j // Jul 31, 2009 at 10:24 am

I usually go for 5 parts grapefruit juice to 1 part gin. Vodka tastes better to me, but that makes it go down faster, and all of the nasty side effects that go with it. Plus I get the more expensive red grapefruit juice, and the taste is even smoother.

• 11 kel // Jul 31, 2009 at 12:37 pm

i can’t comprehend no AC. and lets hear it for Sunny D and booze! I like it with dark rum, but it tastes good with just about anything and crushed ice.

• 12 Lauren // Jul 31, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I have Simply Orange and Simply Grapefruit, and both are DIVINE with gin. It’s amazing. Thank you.

• 13 jaime // Aug 2, 2009 at 12:11 am

how can it be 103 in seattle?! chicago maxed out at 73 today. booooo.

• 14 gayle // Aug 3, 2009 at 10:42 am

“…too hot to give a damn.” Heeelarious!!!

• 15 Carly // Aug 3, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I think the name “Greyhound” came from the original drink made with Grey Goose vodka. Then someone added salt and it became the “Salty Dog”. I love a good Greyhound, but to keep it it interesting I sometimes do 2 parts ginger ale, 2 parts grapefruit juice and 1 part vodka. Mmmmm, sparkly!

• 16 D // Aug 4, 2009 at 9:46 am

In Mexico we called Perro Salado (Salty dog) but we used tequila instead of vodka.