Announcing a Yard Yarn Sale

Do you love really pretty yarn? Do you make things out of nifty fabric? Do you live near Seattle? Come to our Yarn Sale! Details:

Yarn Yard Sale!
Saturday, July 25th
starting at 10:00 a.m.
9504 40th Avenue NE, Seattle, 98115

A few weeks back found some friends discussing our yarn stashes. They are, not unexpectedly, breathtaking in scope and ability to fill storage room in our houses. So we hatched a plan to have a yard sale for our yarn. We’ll also be selling some fabric yardage and collections of viable remnants.

We’ll have lots and lots of yarn for sale. We’ve been discussing amounts in terms of multiples of lawn bag sizes. And this is good yarn too, yarn that simply couldn’t be left behind but we’ve come to painfully realize won’t be made into anything while it’s in our care. We have plenty of matched dye lot yarn in amounts large enough to make a sweater. I have lots of nice non-wool yarn, and two of the sellers used to work for a yarn store so you know there has to be some special stuff in there.

If you see any of us buying yarn from somebody else’s table please, stop us. We need to be stopped.

Afterwards you can stop by some of the Wedgwood neighborhood offerings, the Black Pearl to pick up some spicy green beans, stop and buy some fruit at The Fruit Lady stand on 35th Ave NE at around 80th (near the Wedgwood post office), swim at Matthews Beach, and walk your dog or yourself at Magnuson Park. See? Full day, yarn and all.

update: Here is a map!

· comments [24] · 07-21-2009 · categories:seattle ·

• 1 Sunny // Jul 21, 2009 at 6:46 am

Fun! I wish I still lived in Seattle.

Oh, and don’t forget to order some hand rolled noodles at the Black Pearl – they are the best on the plant.

• 2 Laurie // Jul 21, 2009 at 8:34 am

Oh, how I wish I lived in Seattle… although I probably don’t need to add to my yarn/fabric stash!

• 3 chez shoes // Jul 21, 2009 at 8:49 am

Oh man, I wish I was planning a trip up there – I can’t wear wool either and I *know* you’d have some good stuff for sale :)

• 4 Jeannette // Jul 21, 2009 at 9:03 am

Can anybody bring yarn to sell? I have so much.

• 5 megan // Jul 21, 2009 at 9:14 am

Jeannette – I’m afraid not, the logistics of what we have is enough already.

• 6 Seanna Lea // Jul 21, 2009 at 9:19 am

I wish I lived in your neighborhood. I’d be up for shopping a yarn yard sale in an instant! Especially for yarn already in sweater portions.

• 7 Suzanne // Jul 21, 2009 at 9:44 am

Don’t forget Molly Moon ice cream or Trophy cupcakes too!

I can’t wait to stop by!

• 8 Dana // Jul 21, 2009 at 9:54 am

Can I donate yarn? I have some really beautiful stuff and I know I won’t ever use it. I’m not interested in making money, just in getting rid of what I have. No big deal, but if so, please email me!

• 9 megan // Jul 21, 2009 at 9:57 am

Dana – Sorry, no, we’re just handling what we have. Try the trade/sell boards on Ravelry, there is a lot of action there.

Suzanne – I was focusing on Wedgewood neighborhood activities, but yes Trophy and Molly Moon (and Yellow Leaf and Old School Frozen Yogurt and Cupcake Royale) are all places to hit if you’re in Seattle for the day.

• 10 sandra // Jul 21, 2009 at 10:07 am

any idea how long you’ll be out there? i’m guessing it has to do with how quickly the yarn gets sold, but i won’t be able to come back until later in the day =’(

• 11 megan // Jul 21, 2009 at 10:12 am

Sandra – Sadly I have no idea. I’ll mention progress in my Twitter stream: http://twitter.com/notmartha so you can check to see if we’ve closed up for the day.

• 12 fert // Jul 21, 2009 at 11:21 am

damnit, won’t be in town! aargh :(

• 13 mollysusie // Jul 21, 2009 at 11:23 am

I was about to say “oh, you should make it an online yarn yard sale” but then I realized I need to be stopped too. I’m glad I live a whole united states away. I would say I’d try to organize this with my friends, but I cannot say goodbye to any of my yarn.

• 14 megan // Jul 21, 2009 at 11:47 am

Mollysusie – Part of what appealed to me for the yard sale is that I won’t have to pack up and ship out orders. But, I’m considering doing a Ravelry sale later if I have stuff left over.

• 15 Kristin // Jul 21, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Oh darn! Wish I lived closer. Let us know if you end up selling any of it online!

• 16 gina // Jul 21, 2009 at 6:57 pm

ooh, I am soo there. Like I need more yarn (not). Will see if I can bring another yarn-buddy with me. Thanks for posting.

• 17 Amanda // Jul 21, 2009 at 7:49 pm

That is too funny about you shopping each other’s tables. I don’t knit but I wish I lived in Seattle so I could come just to look at all that yarn.

• 18 Okwes // Jul 21, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Awww! there’s nothing like that here on the east coast!

good luck, hope it goes well!

• 19 Susan // Jul 22, 2009 at 5:13 am

Dana, if you’d like see your extra stash go to knitters in need, check out Yarn Storming. We collect yarn and send it out to people are in need of some yarny love. One of our donors told us that she heard about an older woman, living on Social Security, who was knitting and frogging the same skein of yarn over and over because she couldn’t afford to by more. Here’s a link to the Yarn Storming Ravelry group- http://www.ravelry.com/groups/yarn-storming and here’s the blog post that explains the project- http://www.fiberfarm.com/2009/06/yarn-storming

• 20 Wende // Jul 22, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I have a lot of followers on Twitter in the Seattle area. I tweeted your fabulous Yarn Sale! :D

• 21 megan // Jul 22, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Thanks Wende!

• 22 Kate // Jul 22, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Psst, the neighborhood is spelled Wedgwood :) (sorry, can’t help it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedgwood,_Seattle)

• 23 megan // Jul 22, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Oops, fixed now, thanks Kate.

• 24 kiss my spatula // Jul 23, 2009 at 8:59 pm

thanks so much for the heads up! looks like we’ll be headed over to seattle this weekend!