Peach-Basil Sangria

sprigs of basil floating on top of my sangria

I made the Peach White-Wine Sangria from Gourmet twice last weekend and found it a bit sweeter than I like, so I changed the recipe a bit the second time around, and I doubled it. Because, you know, when it comes to Fourth of July parties more is better.

Here’s what you’ll need:

• gallon jug
  • four cans peach nectar (11.5 ounces each for 46 ounces total)
  • two bottles of dry white wine (I used Hogue Fume Blanc)
  • zest from one lemon
  • juice of two lemons (or 1/2 cup)
  • 2 cups of basil leaves
  • 15 to 20 basil sprigs
  • two peaches, diced or wedged (depending on how lazy you feel and if you want the fruit to end up in the drinks)

Combine the basil leaves, lemon zest and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and bruise the leaves with a spoon. (You can also add 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar now if you’d like.) Add two cans of peach nectar and heat until it’s just reached a simmer. Pour through strainer and into a heatproof pitcher (I use an 8-cup Pyrex measuring cup at this point) and allow to cool for a while. Discard the basil leaves and lemon zest. Then pour into the gallon pitcher, something that seals if you’re on your way to a picnic (I used the larger version of this Rubbermaid one and it didn’t spill when it fell over in the trunk of my car), something pretty if you’re entertaining at home. Add the peaches, basil sprigs, final two cans of peach nectar and bottles of wine. Chill for at least an hour or up to 24 hours.

The mixture will be thick, so serve it over a glass filled with ice, or if you find yourself at a party with no ice (say your friends have owned the house for only a few hours so the party is all bare-bones style) it tastes pretty good mixed with a bit of cold ginger ale. (Thanks to Maggi for that discovery!)

· comments [12] · 07-6-2009 · categories:drink ·

• 1 Kristina // Jul 6, 2009 at 6:19 am

I made this this weekend and it’s so fabulous. The basil is what makes it – it keeps it from being too cloying.

• 2 Kim in NC // Jul 6, 2009 at 8:57 am

I made this sangria as well and also found it a tad sweet. So right before serving I added in 1 quart of seltzer water to dilute it a bit and make it a bit effervescent. Also added a thinly sliced lemon to the chopped peaches. Yum-eee.

• 3 megan // Jul 6, 2009 at 8:58 am

Thanks Kim!

• 4 James Moes // Jul 6, 2009 at 9:30 am

I can’t wait to try this with Katherine once our little one is outside of the womb.

• 5 Suzy // Jul 6, 2009 at 11:41 am

Oh wow, thanks for sharing your tips! I read the recipe in the magazine and discarded because I’m not a sweet drink kinda gal…I will now try it for sure! I love basil and lemon in martinis so this should be terrific!

• 6 Jen // Jul 6, 2009 at 11:42 am

I made this this weekend too! It was a big hit, but I made it using only a third of a cup of sugar, and I ran out of lemons part way through, so I used some lime juice to make up about a fourth of the total citrus juice needed. I put sliced lemons and limes in the pitcher to garnish, and served it in tall glasses over ice, and topped each glass off with a healthy quarter cup or so of club soda. It was very refreshing!

• 7 megan // Jul 6, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Thanks Jen! Between you and Kim I’m wishing I’d thought of the club soda and sliced lemons. I’m sure I can find an occasion to make it again.

• 8 Sarah // Jul 6, 2009 at 6:52 pm

I made this for my 4th of July party as well — I used a dry vino verde (cheap! slightly bubbly!) and a high quality peach nectar (Looza). I think using real fruit juice helped with the sweetness factor. I generally dislike sweet beverages, but found this pretttty tasty. Went over well with the guest too! Thanks for the great recipe.

• 9 Julia // Jul 8, 2009 at 10:53 am

Can’t wait to try this version for an upcoming bridal shower…!

• 10 Joe Banks // Jul 18, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Oh yes, for our next party, and/or after David goes to sleep. Wait, Sheryl doesn’t like peach! [Pauses] More for me!

• 11 Deena // Jul 24, 2009 at 8:45 am

This is a great recipe, and your adaptation is right-on — light and just sweet enough. I saw some cans of peach nectar at the grocery store which said “100% nectar!” only to turn them around and see that they contained corn syrup. Huh. Maybe my definition of nectar isn’t quite as expansive as it should be.

• 12 Local Box Meal Plan: June 14-18 « A Greenling Blog // Jun 15, 2010 at 5:51 pm

[...] Peach-basil sangria – I imagine you can replace with wine with Sprite or club soda for a non-alcoholic drink. [...]