trial: no-knead whole wheat bread

no-knead whole wheat bread

I ended up with a bag of vital wheat gluten. It says on the bag: “Added to bread dough, it helps retain the gas and steam from baking and gives more volume to the baked bread. It can be especially helpful for baking breads made with coarse, whole grain flours.” So I decided to use it to make an entirely whole wheat no-knead bread, which is currently doing it’s long rise on the top of my refrigerator. I used the tips from Cook’s Illustrated No-Knead Bread 2.0, and here is the recipe I’m using:

• 3 cups whole wheat flour (I used Stone-Buhr).
  • 1/4 teaspoon instant (aka Rapid Rise, QuickRise, Instant Active Dry, Perfect Rise, or Bread Machine Yeast) yeast
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoon vital wheat gluten (a recipe on the bag called for 2 T. for a loaf using 4 1/2 C flour so I guessed on my amount)
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons water
  • 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons beer (an American style lager is best, say Bud Light, though all I could find was Fosters at our local market)

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add wet ingredients and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. (I needed to add a teeny bit more water.) Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees. I put it on top of my fridge, today it’s supposed to be in the 80s here so I’ll probably move it to the landing on the stairs.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Put down a square of parchment paper and place dough on it; fold it over on itself once or twice. I lift it into a mixing bowl, cover with a cotton towel or plastic wrap again and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

3. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 4 to 6 quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. I put in the lid as well, but next to the pot instead of on the pot. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Lift the parchment with the dough on it from the mixing bowl into the hot pot, be careful. Shake pot once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 [10 or 15] minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

· comments [15] · 06-2-2009 · categories:food · recipes ·

• 1 Jeannette // Jun 2, 2009 at 10:14 am

How did it turn out? Was it tasty?

• 2 megan // Jun 2, 2009 at 10:26 am

Jeannette – It’s still rising, I’ll be baking it tonight and will report back. I find myself wishing I had added more coarse grainy things to see how they would do. Next time, I have a *lot* of gluten flour.

• 3 heather // Jun 2, 2009 at 11:16 am

I’m really interested in how this will turn out! I’ve experimented with whole wheat flour in the no knead bread recipe and while it is ok, it’s always a little too dense and not as good as some other whole wheat artisan breads I’ve had.

• 4 Seanna Lea // Jun 2, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Very cool. I love fresh bread, but I’m not sure I would want to be baking bread when it was 80 degrees!

• 5 Amanda // Jun 2, 2009 at 3:24 pm

This looks easy and it’s a nice change from the white bread version of the No Knead Bread. Let us know if it turns out. I made some bread last night. I did have to knead it, but not too much. Check it out here: http://artsystuffandmore.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-made-bread.html

• 6 Megan B. // Jun 2, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Hey- you can also make homemade seitan with that vital wheat gluten!

• 7 megan // Jun 2, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Megan B. – Oh neato. I will have to try that.

• 8 bunny // Jun 2, 2009 at 7:05 pm

yeah, let us know how it turned out. i’m a great fan of no-knead bread recipes and am perfecting my own version that makes even less of a mess than the original. haven’t tried the whole-wheat version yet.

• 9 splatgirl // Jun 3, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Vital wheat gluten= my secret to deliciously chewy, pillowy-yet-crisp part whole wheat pizza crust dough.

• 10 Janice // Jun 3, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Anxious to see how yours turns out. i’ve tried the all-wheat no knead a few times, but haven’t been able to get a texture I like. I make my 100% ww with my stand mixer, and the denser multigrain stuff using Peter Reinhart’s delayed fermentation techniques.

• 11 Marcie // Jun 4, 2009 at 6:17 am

I’m confused about the type of pot to use? One with high sides, or more like a bread dish?

• 12 megan // Jun 4, 2009 at 8:47 am

Marcie – The original technique calls for a dutch oven, but really you can use any heavy pot with a lid that can withstand being in the oven at 450 degrees. I use an old Corningware dutch oven that I found at Goodwill for a few dollars. Be aware that the plastic handles on Le Cruset style pots can crack in the heat, you can remove them and replace them with stainless steel cabinet handles from the hardware store if you’d like.

• 13 Robin Melody // Jun 6, 2009 at 9:26 am

I second the idea of trying seitan. I use that all the time to make a quick no meat roast!

• 14 Alexandra // Jun 14, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Hi Bunny-
    Please share your less messy way of making the no-knead bread!
    Thanks.

• 15 Gardenwife // Nov 17, 2009 at 6:44 am

I’m a new reader, having found my way here via Googling for no-knead bread recipes. I’d like to know how this one came out and I’d also love to read about Bunny’s less messy method!