links: misc

Run Pee, a site that lets you know when is the best point in a movie to run to use the restroom. I could have used these for the Lord of the Rings movies.

The explanation of the “And edited… by… Brooke.” thing that closes out episodes of On The Media. I’m so thrilled to finally know the reason. See also, this episode of Sound Of Young America where Jesse Thorn interviews a Bob Garfield and Brooke Gladstone who, at least according to what I could glean from Jesse’s Twitter stream, are going on only a few hours of sleep, it’s most excellent.

Rebecca Blood points us toward this Traditional Remedies Database.

At Ask Metafilter, with apologizes for the Ask-heavy listing today, I’m playing catch up with bookmarks I’ve kept on three different computers:

Please tell me of good novels you have read where the story all takes place in one day. I like novels like this, it’s like an optical illusion for my short attention span.

Does the Emperor not foreseeing that Darth Vader would kill him mean that all Jedi have lost this force ability and that midichlorians leave the body after death and have evolved as they drifted with innumerable species by finding an athletic host who would benefit from incredible power? I love the second answer.

Just tell me “The Secret” already! Please, someone spoil this book for me. I realize this is so over but I’m still glad somebody else asked.

We know Ask MeFI is great, but sometimes you need to dig deeper among a smaller but more specialized crowd. So which are your favorite “Ask X” sites? Lots of great resources here.

Know of kick ass audio book readers? When I was listening to a few audio books a week I developed a list of favorite readers. I have meant to write a list of books I suspect I wouldn’t have liked to read but really enjoyed listening to, including the Alex Rider teenage James Bond series and Artemis Fowl books.

What are your favorite long-form parlor games? I love this idea, have never heard of these sorts of weekend long games.

· comments [7] · 06-2-2009 · categories:misc ·

• 1 Silvia // Jun 2, 2009 at 12:19 pm

I love Google Bookmarks for storing all my favorites. Much, much easier than storing them on a desktop at home, a laptop, a work computer, etc.

Some people do have difficulty using Google utilities because of privacy issues but, personally, it doesn’t matter to me if Google knows I’m an obsessive blog reader and knitter!

• 2 Karan // Jun 2, 2009 at 2:55 pm

The Secret = wishing makes it so

• 3 Karan // Jun 2, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Audio book….Perfume…freaky sort of listen that makes it hard to leave your car stereo (yes, I listen to my audio books while driving)

• 4 ansley // Jun 2, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I don’t have a list of fave book readers, but Phillip Pullman’s “His Dark Materials” trilogy was excellent. There was a different actor for every character, something I am very fond of.

Also, TM Camp has a free audio book on Itunes called “Assam & Darjeeling” which is really good.

• 5 megan // Jun 2, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Ansley – I got that audiobook from the library and was pleasantly surprised at how well the cast recording worked out, and how appropriate having the author as narrator worked as well. I was hooked and listened to all three books.

• 6 crayoneater // Jun 3, 2009 at 2:00 am

this seems incredibly important for me to share with you now, weeks later and on the wrong blog: I know you already spent $$$ on that lid potion/primer stuff, but a recent issue of Cosmo mentioned using contact solution to fix eyeshadow. And lo: IT TOTALLY FLIPPING WORKS!

I even used dollar store nasal saline solution on my shadow pallet (which brings me back to elementary school art class, only more awesome) and it doesn’t budge from my lids even after my 9 hour graveyard shift, hauling ass around the casino to keep tourists happy and drunk. FANTASTIC!

(really, I lost faith in Cosmo–last summer they had a section on secret Cosmo girl tips that included freezing a bottle of water to stay cool in the summer by ‘sipping as it slowly melts!’ …yeah, um, Dear Cosmo: Not a Huge Secret, Love Me)

• 7 runpee « // Sep 25, 2009 at 5:03 pm

[...] to Megan for finding/posting this. Leave a Comment No Comments Yet so far Leave a comment RSS feed for [...]