Curio Confections in Seattle

I had the chance to spend a delightful afternoon at Curio Confections with a friend, sipping cool wine on a warm afternoon and eating as much yumminess as I could handle. Everything here was so good I kept wishing I hadn’t eaten lunch. I chatted a bit with one of the owners who told me that the place is still a work in progress but I found everything about it to be charming already. They are set in an old house and have seating in the front as well as in a back room with lots of windows that felt like a bright porch in the afternoon light. Curio Confections has only been open since the 23rd, and until next week they can only accept cash so come prepared.

Curio Confections
5509 University Way NE
Seattle, WA 98105
(Near Pizza Pi and the Historic University Theater)
206-420-8493

In the mornings they have coffee, and in the evenings they offer beer and wine. On Sundays they offer a brunch menu. When we were there they had pastries as well as pot pies, a quiche and a delicious looking baked potato casserole, so stopping in for dinner would be well worth it.

They offer a bunch of charmingly packaged confections to go:

Curio Confections in Seattle

This Nougat de Montelimar bar is the one that DeLaurenti sells, along with a selection of the caramels:

Curio Confections in Seattle

We split the adorable lemon meringue you see above and this incredibly tasty combination of raspberries and nectarines (I think) topped with tender lemon shortbread:

Curio Confections in Seattle

I had a glass of the Moscato, which was crisp and cool and had all those summer fruit flavors you want on a sunny afternoon.

Curio Confections in Seattle

I also tried the Pates de Fruit, the darker one was blackberry and Maggi declared it tasted just like summer:

Curio Confections in Seattle

This was just amazing, this is a Brie Caramel and I really wish I had bought every last one before I left. It was infused with the sort of deliciousness that is hard to describe and I tend to just want to insist that you go, now, and try one yourself:

Curio Confections in Seattle

I bet the Goats Milk Caramels, pictured above, are equally as delicious.

I wish we could have stayed long enough to become hungry again and eat dinner, here is a shot of a pot pie in the pastry case:

Curio Confections in Seattle

They also have an amazing range of gift boxes and tags, which I was told are all made by one of the owners:

Curio Confections in Seattle

Let’s look at the adorable lemon meringue again, shall we?

Curio Confections in Seattle

See also: write up in Daily Candy. And thank go to Curio Confections for allowing me to take pictures!

· comments [21] · 05-29-2009 · categories:food · seattle ·

• 1 Jessi // May 29, 2009 at 11:57 am

WOW, every single one of those confections makes me wish I was visiting Seattle sometime soon… like NOW! This sweet tooth would LUV that place!
    J

• 2 nazilam // May 29, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I am so ditching work early to run to TJ’s and this place. Funny, I drove by it on Wednesday and didn’t even notice.

Thanks Megan!

• 3 megan // May 29, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Nazilam – Their sign is small, so I’m not surprised you didn’t spot it. Look for something that appears like a swirled peppermint candy in the window, that is how the logo appeared to me from my car.

• 4 Désirée // May 29, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Ha! We could have had a little Curio Confections mutual admiration society going yesterday. My knitting group met there one evening and it was a big hit with everyone. I especially loved the strawberry tart with rhubarb curd. I also really appreciated that they had some very small things on offer which made it possible to have a pot pie AND dessert.

• 5 Traca // May 29, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I love their logo! How cute is that….

• 6 marla // May 29, 2009 at 2:06 pm

YUM!!!

• 7 Shelley Noble // May 29, 2009 at 3:04 pm

ok, that looks to be the most amazing place in history. Exquisite!

• 8 Renai // May 29, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Eek! I was looking for something mellow to do tonight, and this just might be it. I live all of 10 blocks away! Thanks for the post!

• 9 Laurie // May 29, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I wish I lived in Seattle so I could try this place. Maybe I’ll have to plan a visit!

• 10 liz // May 29, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Thank you! thank you thank you! for reviewing this place. I live 2 blocks from there and walked by a few weeks ago before they opened. I was wondering what it was but forgot about it completely until I saw your review today. I’m soooo excited to give it a try!!

• 11 ampersandebeth // May 29, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I agree with Desiree (and I was there with her…) Lots of room and light and table space (not to mention the delicious desserts – definitely try the apple pie!

• 12 regan // May 29, 2009 at 9:07 pm

I am seriously looking into airfare to Seattle now, just so I can try this place. Everything looks amazing.

• 13 Sabine // May 30, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Oh now I wish I’d still live near Seattle ( Vancouver, BC ) looks like it would be worth a drive:-)

• 14 Emira // May 31, 2009 at 9:44 am

This has made me think that I need to extend my next Seattle trip to find time to languish amongst all that awesomeness. Unless of course you want to hold the next GBA meeting there…

• 15 Amanda // May 31, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I just came back from brunch here…. it was totally delicious. I had a mushroom and sausage strata covered with delcious oozing cheese and my boy had biscuits and gravy; both of us were perfectly sated and absolutely impressed.

• 16 Maria // May 31, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Thank you so much for the wonderful write up! It was absolutely my pleasure to have you in the shop. You and your friends are delightful. To anyone who is far away, shoot me an email! Maybe we can mail you some treats =) Looking forward to meeting you all and thank you for your support!

Maria

• 17 Jenny // Jun 1, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Oh my! Every single thing looks fabulous.

• 18 megan // Jun 1, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Maria – Thanks again for having us. I will certainly be back since every savory dish you set out looked incredible and I haven’t had the opportunity to try them yet.

Emira – I think we have already rented the space for your meeting! But, I’ll do my best to bring some treats from Curio with me to send you home with.

• 19 Syd // Jun 1, 2009 at 7:37 pm

I got a chance to stop in this past weekend. It was lovely and delightful, her mallows are delicious.

• 20 lilikoiknits // Jun 5, 2009 at 2:33 am

Wow, all of those look amazing. I think I might try to make something like that cobbler type thing. Raspberries, nectarines and lemon are some of my favorite fruits/flavors.

And brie caramels…. as in the cheese? Two of my favorites, but I’m having a hard time imagining them together.

• 21 Living Juicy » A Saturday in Seattle: // Jan 3, 2010 at 9:44 pm

[...] dis­trict, which was much more peace­ful. I’d read about a con­fec­tions shop at not Martha.org and wanted to check it out. It was a sweet lit­tle place that had just opened. I hope they do [...]