Spring planting

herbs in a pot

We spent yesterday getting a late start on planting things. I’m an uninspired gardener, I like picking out plants and making grand plans (this year I want to grow hops in the front yard that will climb up to the roof of our porch!) but I have little enthusiasm for the follow through with watering and pruning.

This year I’m going to see how growing herbs in a container full of organic soil from our hippie market goes. (I’m aware that the rosemary will grow very, very well here but I’m afraid of what might be in the soil in our yard, so a container it is for the time being.) Here are the tags, which I’m sure to loose. Two kinds of basil, that just sort of happened:

herb tags: basil, rosemary, thyme and tarragon

Scott decided on some artsy-and-invasive sorts to grow in staggered pots in the corner of the deck that we rarely use:

horsetail, watch out!

And an asparagus fern to grow in my Grobal Baby pot:

asparagus fern in a window

· comments [9] · 05-26-2009 · categories:the home ·

• 1 dawn // May 26, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I just got around to planting herbs yesterday too! Last time I started w/ seeds (failure!) and this time I was a realist and bought plants instead. I also got some organic soil because who the heck knows what is in my backyard soil. I’m hopeful that I can care for my plants, but like you I tend to lose interest in the upkeep. It’s sorta pathetic.

• 2 Seanna Lea // May 26, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I’ve been looking at the grobals. How are they? They look interesting and like they would help solve my underwatering/ overwatering problem, but it would be good to know if that tends to be true.

• 3 megan // May 26, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Seanna Lea – I’m afraid I cannot say. The first thing I planted in it was a Maiden Hair Fern which succumbed to moss or algea growing in the soil. I had it in a shady window, so I’m hoping for more luck this time in a sunnier window.

• 4 Anne (in Reno) // May 26, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Good luck with the herbs, most herbs like growing in containers (my chives are so huge now I don’t know what to do with them), but it may be a little tough for the rosemary. They like their space, shall we say. Also, I am curious how the Grobal thing works out for you as well, please keep us updated – I love the idea but they seem much too small to grow stuff successfully.

• 5 Amanda Nicole // May 26, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I’ve never heard of an asparagus fern before, I love it!

• 6 Sarafina // May 26, 2009 at 6:32 pm

I planted Hops last year and they grew about 7 feet tall before the fall frost here in Minneapolis (They were an ornamental variety, which I didn’t realize until I had planted it.) This spring they have grown 15 feet tall already!! I had to add hemp twine up to our second story to give them something to climb. They look AWESOME!

• 7 Christina Maria // May 27, 2009 at 7:20 am

(Related, but not entirely) Do you know of a community garden in Seattle? A friend is looking for one to join.

• 8 Julie // May 31, 2009 at 11:30 am

Oh, good, I’m glad I’m not the only person who just did this. Last weekend I bought a rosemary bush, two tomato plants, and some basil to plant (and did). Yesterday, I got tarragon and chocolate mint. They’re all in containers on my fire escape. I was surprised– my chives came back from last year. Who knew?

• 9 Cara // May 31, 2009 at 4:10 pm

I bought a gallon size plastic bag of earthworm castings at a recent sustainable living expo. My container plants are growing healthy and hearty! They are much bigger and more lush than last year’s. Worm poop rocks!