iPhone apps I like these days

Twitterrific – There are tons and tons of apps for Twitter, but I’m lazy and have kept using this one.

Stitcher – Lovely app that I use to catch up on public radio shows because I’m often too lazy to download them. It allows you to listen to all sorts of radio and podcasts and includes preset playlists or you can make your own.

Stanza – I swear I read more books because of this app, and it’s been perfect for reading in bed. You can configure all sorts of things that appeal to my nitpicky self, text size, alignment, font, page brightness, page turn style.

Public Radio Tuner – Because I got tired of carrying my radio around the house with me when All Things Considered was on. Allows you to listen to a huge number of public radio stations that stream. A new version, the Public Radio Player, is coming along soon.

Games:

Glyder – An enchanting flying game I’m completely smitten with. Everything about it is surprisingly soothing, and when you crash you lose very little, your character just reappears on a platform nearby. You have a few different kinds of goals to achieve (jewels to gather, trips to take) so you can be as meticulous or not as you’d like. The huge scale of it’s interior world is comparable to Shadow of the Colossus, the heights and depths you can explore are impressive and unexpected. And there are no controls you need to jab at, it’s all played by gently tilting your iPhone as your girl with wings sweeps through the air.

Drop7 Lite – This is Chain Factor for the iPhone. I lost much of last November to Chain Factor so it’s dangerous for me to have this. The lite version is newly addictive because it saves up what you score given X number of moves.

Rolando – A joyfully fun game. They are releasing Rolondo 2 soon and in the lead up are updating Rolando with a couple of new levels each week.

Archibald’s Adventure – A nice little platformer/puzzler that doesn’t frustrate me too much. An amazing amount of levels.

Bobby Carrot Forever – A blocky puzzler like Chip’s Challenge, incredible amount of levels. It doesn’t allow you to skip over levels though, and I’m currently stuck in an ice world I don’t find all that interesting. I think a few more Bobby Carrot games have been released as well.

Some other things I was excited to see, the point-and-click variety of games coming to the iPhone (it makes sense).

Submachine series, I played these in a browser and they stood out as very well done.

Myst for the iPhone. I played this on the PC what seems like ages ago, and I wonder how well the gameplay translates on a screen that is so much smaller.

If there are any apps or games you think I should check out I’d love to hear about them.

· comments [18] · 05-14-2009 · categories:iphone · technology ·

• 1 emily // May 14, 2009 at 9:06 am

Twitterfon is pretty spectacular for a twitter app. I used to use twitterific, but then switched and will not go back. It’s free.

I also just downloaded email n’walk today. It’s allows you to email while walking (gives you a camera view behind the text so you don’t run into anything.) I think it’s free for a limited amount of time. It’s quite funny.

Thanks for all the new apps to check out! :-)

• 2 Shannon // May 14, 2009 at 9:38 am

Peggle! It’s kind of like a pachinko game with unicorns and rainbows and other gratuitous cuteness. We have it on our XBox and Macs as well (Edmond and I both enjoy playing it), and the iPhone version is on par with the others in its experience. Great feel-good game! $4.99

• 3 Shannon // May 14, 2009 at 9:49 am

Oh… and Things. At $9.99 it’s steep for an iPhone app, but it’s a to-do list with categorization and tagging and notes for each item, and the concept of multiple lists (including “projects”, which are things you might get to someday but maybe not now). So if you like to keep a list of planned sewing projects, and knitting projects, and things to do on a contracting project, you can have separate lists for all of these and make notes on each item regarding which fabric you want to use, or notions you need to buy, so you have it all at hand next time you’re at the sewing store.

• 4 brianna // May 14, 2009 at 9:54 am

Enigmo! That is the most awesome game…you have to direct water droplets into little jars with all kinds of tools. My little cousin got me hooked when he had it on his ipod touch. Even my husband is addicted.

• 5 lisa // May 14, 2009 at 11:15 am

hadn’t even heard of stanza! just downloaded it and am so excited to use it. soooo many free books (looks like the majority of the Jane Austin catalog is free in the “books that are movies” section).

• 6 Mamaphunk // May 14, 2009 at 11:51 am

The Oregon Trail!!!

It’s not really like the game we all played as a kid, but it’s got enough similarities that it makes you feel nostalgic.

• 7 Megan // May 14, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I’m in love with DoodleJump. It’s a quick easy game to play, totally frustrating, but cute.

My new favorite toy is the Zillow app. It’s free, and uses GPS to figure out where you are, and what the last-recorded housing prices are around you. Perfect entertainment for a walk around my neighborhood.

• 8 Snufkin // May 14, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Anything that works with the GPS function on the phone. Yelp is excellent for finding places to eat and the post office within the vicinity of where I work. And I love how the Google Maps tool now includes walking and public transit directions.

My other favorite app is ASleep, which is a white noise/meditation app. You get a nice selection of sounds to lull you off into sleep. Plus it’s got a couple of very cute sheep graphics.

• 9 Lenore // May 14, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Missile command – it translates to the iPhone particularly well.

• 10 kat // May 14, 2009 at 10:43 pm

twitterfon is definitely MUCH better than twitterific.

wordwarp, wurdle, removem are my definitely favorite go-to games!

• 11 Cathy // May 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Lemonade Tycoon. It’s free and godawful addictive. It does seem to suck away my battery, but it would probably do that less if I just skipped through the day, instead of watching all the people go up to my lemonade stand. I use Twitterific, I had been thinking of looking for something else, but then the update happened and fixed all the problems I had with it. I wish there was a better Facebook app.

• 12 growler // May 15, 2009 at 12:53 pm

There’s a pretty recent Twitterific update, which improves it a lot. Honestly, I use that, Twitterfon AND Twitterlator on my iPhone. Then again, I’ve also got three weather apps and three sports scores apps. Overkill, thy name is me. For music apps, I like Slacker and Concert Vault. Units is handy to have, to convert measurements (esp. good when cooking or baking). Epicurious has a new app that looks okay to me so far (haven’t used it much yet). DirecTV’s app is FANTASTIC if you have DirecTV. If you like Stanza, get the Kindle app too, at least to compare. And Bargain Bin is a good way to find cheap and free, though usually useless, apps.

• 13 Rachel R. // May 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you posted about your iPhone apps again! I really look forward to them. When I got mine last December I immediately came home and searched for your past posts on apps :)

Anyway, some my fave apps right now are:
    Flood-It: Simple game, quick to learn, very addictive. I had the mini game on iGoogle for a while. FREE.

Twitter apps: TwitterFon, Twitterific, and Twitterena. I just started using twitter this week – I already have three twitter apps. Trying to decide which I like most. They all have different features.

Sudoku Grab from Camera: Sudoku app, but what makes this one stand out you can use the camera to take a picture of a puzzle and import to your phone. Similar idea to Shazam (music) or SnapTell (books, cds, dvds). It’s pretty cool. $1.99 (was .99)

HowCast: How to videos – you may have discussed this one before. I use it a lot when I’m cooking and don’t know how to properly prep certain fruits/veggies and stuff.

And I agree with you on Stanza. My hubby and I have different work schedules so I can read in bed without waking him up! One of the *extra* features I kinda dig is that you can set your background to something from PhotoRoll!

Thanks again for the updates! Love your blog!

• 14 Mindy // May 16, 2009 at 9:37 am

My boyfriend has been playing Myst on his iPhone this last week and loves it. I knit, he plays Myst and we’re both happy. :)

• 15 gowoon // May 16, 2009 at 10:38 pm

TanZen.

It’s a tangram puzzle game and with no time limit or score to break. It’s amazing what you can do with 7 pieces of shapes. It’s cheap ($0.99) and they update quite often with new levels.

I think there is a trial free version out there to try. :)

• 16 Shannon // May 19, 2009 at 12:09 pm

My favorite Twitter app is Tweetie.

For games, be sure to try the game my husband and I developed, Sheepstacker. There is a lite version, and it’s lots of fun!

• 17 liz // May 20, 2009 at 4:15 pm

We are obsessed with our iPod Touch(es) & DoodleJump. It is cute & fun, just like Megan said before me.

• 18 Maddie // Jun 1, 2009 at 11:03 am

The Howcast app is pretty cool. I saw it on an iPhone commercial. It’s a free app that shows you how-to videos on every subject. So you can watch a video on how-to jump start your car, at your car or have your phone show you how to make a red velvet cake, without having to print out the recipe or bring your laptop to the kitchen.