Cleveland Stadium Mustard

stadium mustard vs. ballpark mustard

The May 2nd Splendid Table included a segment on the history of Stadium Mustard in Cleveland, including explaining why there are two kinds, Stadium and Ballpark, and why one is sold at football games and the other at baseball games. I grew up knowing this as what mustard was, all that yellow stuff seemed strange to me when I first encountered it later in life.

Me? I fall firmly on the side of Authentic Stadium Mustard, and it seems half of Cleveland agrees with me. More about the mustard at All Things Cleveland, and at Chowhound. (Image from allthingsclevelandohio.blogspot.com.)

· comments [9] · 05-13-2009 · categories:food ·

• 1 Ashlea // May 13, 2009 at 12:56 pm

I was just introduced to stadium mustard by a friend who buys it in bulk. I would have never thought I had such a preference on mustard but I definitely do now! It’s amazing, I agree!

• 2 jen t. // May 13, 2009 at 2:16 pm

interesting! i didn’t not know the “why there are two” story. (i still get such a kick out of knowing you grew up in fairview park, btw.) anyway, we actually have a bottle of each of these at home right now, both of them whisked back to SF after our last trip home to N.O. perhaps it’s time for a blind taste test.

• 3 knittinglizzie // May 13, 2009 at 5:43 pm

I had only heard about the authentic stadium mustard until I caught the show this week. Now I’m curious to get both and do a taste test. I’m from Columbus, but live in Brooklyn, so it is going to be a while until I get home to purchase any. Does anyone have a good online resource for either of them?

• 4 megan // May 13, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Knittinglizzie – I know you can find Stadium Mustard at Amazon. Google either and you can find sources, but I’m afraid I cannot give recommendations for the best place to buy. While I was in Cleveland I took it for granted that both kinds were always there on the shelves of grocery stores.

• 5 knittinglizzie // May 13, 2009 at 8:07 pm

yeah I’ll have to stock up when I’m at home for a few different weddings this year!

• 6 Linda // May 13, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Have you ever tried French mustard-not French’s but mustard from France? It is so different as it has more horse radish in it. There is even a mustard boutique in Paris, Maille Mustard Boutique, which is a delight to visit and they must have 100 different flavors of mustard along with really cute mustard containers.

• 7 Weaver // May 14, 2009 at 6:25 am

we always have both in our refrigerator :) Of course, we also have yellow, stone ground and dijon, too so maybe we are a bit over the top. mmm, we are totally having hot dogs for dinner now. thanks :)

• 8 Jenny // May 15, 2009 at 5:02 pm

My boyfriend swears by Cleveland stadium mustard, and I’m anxious to try it just so I can discover whether it’s really as amazing as it’s hyped up to be.

I’ll have to ask his thoughts on Ballpark. I didn’t know there were two!

• 9 mark chylik // Dec 25, 2013 at 9:25 pm