links: food

Crystalized orange, yum, at Brownie Points.

Understanding health risks and rewards in what you eat and drink, at Rebecca Blood. This article explains a nice bit.

Tasty crops for a gin garden? at Ask Metafilter

Space Invaders Cutting Boards at ThinkGeek

Prosciutto Dijon and Gruyere Puffs, gah, yum, ahh. At Joy the Baker.

Do you rinse off your chicken before cooking? at Ask Metafilter.

Edamame Hummus at Pink of Perfection

Porcelain #4 Size Coffee Cone Filter Holder with only one hole!. This search was inspired by this post over at Super Eggplant. Granted, we use our over-the-cup drip maker for single cups and a #4 may be way too large. Maybe using #2 filters in the #4 cone will work out?

We’re having a “tiny food” party / BBQ, and I need menu suggestions. at Ask Metafilter. I will never tire of tiny foods.

· comments [9] · 05-12-2009 · categories:food ·

• 1 dawn // May 12, 2009 at 10:31 am

I just discovered that I have a terrible reaction to Orbit gum because of the sorbitol in it– the “Understanding health risks and rewards in what you eat and drink” link really caught my eye. Wish it had a slide on artificial sweeteners like sorbitol!

• 2 CakeSpy // May 12, 2009 at 10:50 am

I’m with you on the tiny foods! I think those mini pies you made a while back would be perfect. I made those for a party not long ago and they went over so well.

• 3 mindy // May 12, 2009 at 11:08 am

Yum, Edamame Hummus! Kevin, my boyfriend, hates chickpeas so this could be a hummus saver for us!

• 4 dawn // May 12, 2009 at 1:31 pm

For mini stuff, a good suggestion is meat loaf cupcakes. It’s pretty much what it sounds like – meatloaf baked in muffin tins – but I’ve seen pretty ones that are topped with mashed potato and cooked peas on top to pull it all together and resemble a mini meatloaf dinner.

• 5 Laurie // May 12, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Dawn, the meat loaf cupcakes sound AMAZING! What a clever idea.

• 6 splatgirl // May 12, 2009 at 9:00 pm

my favorite tiny food is Bombay Sliders from epicurious.com. I blogged them in their extra tininess here:

• 7 splatgirl // May 12, 2009 at 9:06 pm

or, if you’re going to go to the effort of making mini buns, any type of sandwich is doable. here I cut presliced cheese into quarters and used a round cookie cutter to make the sliced meats the right size:

• 8 Diana // May 12, 2009 at 9:16 pm

fyi – The sweetmarias coffee website you linked looks like a phishing site. If you google ‘sweet marias’ you get another site that doesn’t look so suspicious, they have a different shopping cart . I could very well be wrong — it could just be there old e-commerce site.

• 9 megan // May 12, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Gah, link is fixed, thanks Diana.