an update on my earlobes

silver earrings

A while back I asked about how to re-pierce my ears, I got a lot of advice and I wanted to report back on what I ended up doing. At the time I wask asking about this Seattle was still difficult to drive around because of the snow (our city has like three snow plows) so I went to the only local place I could find, Lady Luck Body Piercing. The person there was friendly and helpful. She first threaded something like a needle through my rapidly closing up holes, then slid in some small-ish gauge body piercing hoops (all the shop sold). I won’t lie, that part hurt a lot. She instructed me to soak them in saline each night, and any time during the day when they were feeling dry. No twisting or pulling the hoops back and forth. She recommended buying a bottle of saline from the drugstore, it’s sold in with contact cleaning solution (I was warned against substituting contact cleaning solution). I carried a little bottle of saline and some Q-tips with me for a while, and at night used cotton pads.

silver earrings

It hurt at first to sleep lying on my side, but felt better after about a week. After two weeks I was allowed to take them out, but I think I left them in for three. After that I bought some all silver hoops from Target, they were the kind recommended in the previous thread — thin hoops that are a little tube, and the post of the earring fits into the end of the tube so that there are no sharp bit sticking out and are comfortable to sleep in. I struggled to get on a small pair of hoops and wore those until a few weeks before the wedding because I was frightened of my holes closing up if I slept without earrings in and then, the horror!, not being able to wear my wedding earrings.

Since then I have not been wearing earrings unless I’m going out, so I’ve been sleeping and spending whole days without them in and so far it doesn’t seem like my holes are going to close up. Now I think I just have to stick to silver (or gold) earring posts and I’ll live happily ever after.

· comments [19] · 05-6-2009 · categories:beauty ·

• 1 jessica // May 6, 2009 at 11:38 am

Are those your wedding earrings in the top picture on the right? If so they look gorgeous!

• 2 Amanda // May 6, 2009 at 11:57 am

I’m going to echo Jessica’s comment, those earrings are lovely! Do you mind sharing where you got them?

• 3 Amy // May 6, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I prefer “leverback” earrings. They go in like hooks, but with a hinged clasp to hold them in place. Comfortable to sleep in and I don’t have to worry about them falling out. French style “Omega” is good, too. Overstock has a useful guide called “Keeping earrings in place”:

• 4 megan // May 6, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Jessica and Amanda – They are my wedding earrings. I got them at emitations.com, a celebrity jewelry CZ replica site, they’re the Celeste Cushion Cut earrings. I found those, though, through buy.com for quite a bit less than they were on emitations.com itself.

Amy – Thank you for the link to the earring guide, very helpful!

• 5 Janice // May 6, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I have had my ears pierced for years, but don’t wear fancy earrings unless I’m going out. The holes in my ears tend to close up quite small, so I wear very small gold hoops like these all the time. They are really comfortable — I dont even know they are in.

• 6 Stephanie // May 6, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Your wedding earrings are so pretty!

If you ever need anything funkier than sterling or gold, you can pretty safely wear Niobium, and if silver ever becomes an issue look for Argentium, which is just higher silver content than sterling. (I sell and design beaded jewelry, and my daughter went through a phase when she couldn’t wear sterling or gold.) ITA with Amy, too – I sell almost exclusively leverbacks and my customers love them.

• 7 kat // May 6, 2009 at 9:39 pm

they are lovely!

• 8 koroshiya // May 6, 2009 at 11:14 pm

somewhat like what janice posted, but a little different – i find that this type of earring works well for me. small enough not to be in the way or catch on anything, and when they close, they’re one continuous loop, so the ends of the ring don’t catch on your earholes. also easy to wear if you suspect you’re getting some kind of infection or dryness.

• 9 Kris // May 7, 2009 at 6:03 am

I have some silver earrings like these from etsy that I wear all the time.

• 10 Monica // May 7, 2009 at 8:45 am

I had pierced ears since I was a baby, but they were too high and in by the time I grew into my ears. When my wedding came around, I got mine repierced too. I went to a piercing shop and they put in these HUGE thick punk-rock small hoops, completely not my style, but all they had. A couple weeks later I downgraded to a smaller size stud. The funniest thing – I chose my wedding jewelry and the earrings ended up being the pinch-on kind!

• 11 Lauren // May 7, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Hmm. I haven’t tried to wear earrings in over a decade. It makes me curious to try it out.

• 12 Alicia G. // May 8, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I have problems with my earring holes (I have two in each ear) closing as well. I have to wear studs (the kind with the safety backs that kids get when they get their ears pierced) in my first hole whenever I don’t have other earrings in. I find these very easy to sleep in and I don’t have to worry about taking them out at night.

• 13 Allison P. // May 8, 2009 at 10:06 pm

If you find a pair of earrings that you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE, but they have nickle in them, try coating them in a clear topcoat of nail polish.

• 14 Kathy // May 9, 2009 at 11:44 am

My left ear only closes up – this time because of surgery near the ear and the healing process just closing that hole too (or should I say holes!).
    So I will go back to any earring type store and have them repierce the holes….you are about right on the time – takes about 2 to 3 weeks to reopen again.
    On other than silver or gold type earrings – put neosporisin on the piece that goes through your ear. Then you won’t have that problem. It coats the mixed metal and at the same time coats the ear hole…so they don’t actually “touch”. Three generations of my family use this method just fine to solve that problem.

• 15 Rachel // May 11, 2009 at 4:00 am

Sooo… I find this whole concept interesting. I have two holes in each ear. The first I got when I was a few weeks old (my mother is Latina, it’s tradition) and the second when I was a teenager (after lengthy begging). However, my holes have NEVER closed, even after long periods of time (years, I would say) of rarely wearing any earrings. People talk about their holes closing and it confuses me, I never knew that was possible.

• 16 Elayne Angel // May 12, 2009 at 3:36 pm

A new book just became available that takes on the subject of safe body piercing in detail. It is called “The Piercing Bible–The Definitive Guide to Safe Body Piercing” and it answers just about every question anybody ever thought to ask about piercing (including ear lobes!) and then some.

• 17 megan // May 13, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Rachel – My holes were still open when I first wondered if I could wear earrings. They closed after I started wearing cheap posts and taking them out at night, and then forcing them through again the next day. The piercing lady explained to me that I was creating tiny tears inside the hole, and then the raw skin was reacting badly with the cheap metal of the earring and as a result my ears were trying to heal. But, if I stick to pure silver or gold they should be just fine from now on.

Thanks for the book recommendation Elayne!

• 18 fert // May 13, 2009 at 5:13 pm

m,
    my friend has very sensitive pierced ears but also loves pretty dangly earrings that have cheap metals that aren’t so good for ears. so she replaces the parts that go through the ear with findings she gets from fusion beads (fusionbeads.com; 36th and stone way) :)

• 19 jenny // May 17, 2009 at 6:18 am

My daughter had a similar problem last winter (she got her ears pierced in August) – she took her earrings out and the holes virtually closed up overnight and then after she put some earrings back in the holes started closing around her earrings. Plus I’m always fighting the Claire’s battle – she’s a kid all she wants is their earrings – i.e. – cheapie earrings of reindeer and shamrocks and soccer balls.

A fellow blogger recommended that we dip the cheapie earring posts in Neosporin before she puts them in.

Ever since then we’ve not had one problem. No redness, soreness or holes closing up. Her earrings go in and out with out a problem and she can go a day or so w/o earrings.

It’s been a miracle solution.