Orla Kiely at Target, again

Orla Kiely goods at Target

In case you missed it the first time around it looks like some of the Orla Kiely goods are back at Target. This is a picture of an endcap in the kitchen section of my Target last week. Sadly, there was no sign of the much coveted pears apron anywhere in the store.

· comments [25] · 05-4-2009 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 J. // May 4, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Ooo that stuff is so pretty. I’ll have to make a special trip to the usa for that

• 2 Renai // May 4, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Ooh! For some reason I went to Fred Meyer last night instead of Target for errand running. It’s probably for the better because I tend to spend way too much money at Target, but STILL!

• 3 RenaissanceTrophyWife // May 4, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Yay! way to make my Monday… will stop off at Tar-jay after work to see what I can scoop up.

• 4 herschel // May 5, 2009 at 7:33 am

i panicked and bought the large canister off ebay. oh well — at least i have it!

• 5 Kait // May 5, 2009 at 9:22 am

I was at Target this weekend and saw an Orla Kiely display as well. The stuff seemed poorly made to me, which was pretty disappointing. The tops to the canisters didn’t fit properly, the mugs were flimsy, and almost everything was made from plastic. I guess the stuff would be good for outdoor picnics or bbqs, but I was hoping for sturdier goods.

• 6 megan // May 5, 2009 at 9:56 am

Kait – I’m always a bit surprised to find people were expecting something more from Target – none of the big designer lines are the stuff of outstanding permanence. The tumblers are plastic (and the designs to chip off), the plates, bowls, trays and serving bowls are melamine, the canisters and mugs are a heavy stoneware. My canister seals without trouble, but I’ve heard people complain about the seal before (we put loose change in ours). The kitchen towels, tablecloths and placemats don’t seem to have reappeared but they were a fairly loosely woven cloth and might need to be ironed out after washing.

• 7 amanda // May 5, 2009 at 11:57 am

What I don’t quite get is why Target is so miserly in doling out its designer lines. It seems like they rarely offer them online (fine, get me in your stores) and when you do go to a store they have a paltry selection. I suppose they just want you to buy their other stuff and perhaps that is very effective. However, it seems most effective at annoying me and sending people to eBay. What’s up with that?

How about, get me in your store to buy your designer designed stuff AND I buy it AND other stuff? Do people keep coming back and back and back looking for other pieces?

• 8 megan // May 5, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Amanda – After talking to a few Target employees about the Orla stuff I doubt that Target is organized enough to have a strategy on when they stock the designer lines. It sounded more like nobody knew quite what was going on and they put it on the shelves when it arrives. It is frustrating. I did stalk on of my stores because I was hoping to send a set to a friend who doesn’t live in the US, and my store had almost everything the same week, but nearly two weeks later than the official release date.

I read a report that said Target re-released the Orla stuff because they got so many customer complaints that they were unable to find the items.

• 9 Kelly // May 5, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Hurrah! I missed the stuff last time around and I love it! So cute! I can hardly wait to make a Target run!

• 10 kelli // May 5, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Dang. I was just there this morning and didn’t look around. I’ll have to try a store later this week.

• 11 Hilary // May 5, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Today I was in mine and im pretty sure we had an apron. When/if i go back shortly ill nab it for you. Weird though, mine was almost out of everything. They should restock and immediately put it on sale and only tell me.

• 12 kat // May 5, 2009 at 8:58 pm

i’ve pretty much given up on it. i have two targets near me in the bay area and i did find a few pieces at one but they were on sale.

seems like orla kiery would kind of care if her products weren’t available given all the excitement? but if they are rereleasing, maybe they will here as well! but…not holdingmy breath!

• 13 regan // May 5, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I was at my local Target today and the endcap had been restocked, but was greatly picked over. I picked up a pair of pear mugs and I was surprised by how hefty they were. I was expecting them to be plastic and cheap, but they aren’t! It was a nice surprise.

• 14 dolores // May 6, 2009 at 3:41 am

OMG, I just managed to get over that I am living here in a Target-free (aka affordable Orla Kiely free) world…so now these guys will tortuing me again – OR IS ANYBODY OUT THERE WILLINGLY TO HELP ME????
    I would send the money via paypal and offer of course to do any european related favour in reverse!
    hopefully,
    dolores

• 15 Rachel // May 6, 2009 at 8:26 am

I wanted to get a couple things online and was successful in placing the order back in Feb. Fast forward to now… items are not available online (and I doubt they were ever supposed to be in the first place.) I canceled the order. I’m over it! But they would have made some money from me (and I imagine a lot of people) if they had had a better strategy.

• 16 Maryellen // May 7, 2009 at 7:01 am

I have three of the mugs, and they are durable. We use them every day all day long, and I’ve had no problem with them. It makes me nuts that I didn’t buy more because the designs appeal to me more and more. I have not had great luck at Target with store-brand items, but these are a winner.

• 17 protoknits // May 7, 2009 at 6:12 pm

OMG!! I just got the canisters and LOVE them! I can’t stop thing of all the things I;ll be stashing in them!

• 18 KA // May 8, 2009 at 6:57 am

Our local store (Annapolis, MD) sold out pretty quickly. Good to hear they may be re-stocking, I’ll have to check back. I have the padded kitchen mat w/ pears & love it, but wish I had treated it with scotchguard!

• 19 corrin // May 9, 2009 at 7:18 pm

I happened to find the green pitcher on clearance for $4 and was thrilled!

• 20 Tamara // May 12, 2009 at 6:13 am

have you checked out the aprons on Made with Love by Hannah? There’s an apple one that is in a similar vein, although it isn’t a full coverage apron.

• 21 Bethany // Aug 8, 2010 at 11:33 am

Do you know if Target is going to release more Orla Kiely products?

• 22 megan // Aug 8, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Bethany – Yes, in September. There are a few things listed on the website that will be out then, in particular search for an OK tote and you can turn up the date it will be available.

• 23 Bethany // Aug 18, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Hi Megan, I searched all over Target’s website and was not able to find information regarding Orla Kiely. What is the exact release date?

• 24 megan // Aug 24, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Bethany – I know that at least this Liberty bag will be available at Target.com on September 5th:
    I hope that helps, check the site on Sept. 5th to see if they’ve added new items, or rereleased old ones.

• 25 Noelle // Apr 26, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Hi!
    Does anyone have any Orla Kiely for Target items they would sell to me??? If so let me know!!
    Thanks!