my annual post about not being able to wear flip-flops

Teva Kena flip-flops

I simply cannot wear shoes that have the little bit that goes between my toes (please know that I’ve made valiant efforts). Last year Mandy pointed me towards these Kena shoes made by Teva (thank you Mandy!). They are perfect as a non-thong flip-flop and I wore mine all last summer. I took a pair with me to Vegas and actually felt like a normal person while on my way out to sit by the pool. My prayers have been answered, all is right with the world, etc. So, if you also suffer from get-that-thing-out-of-my-toes-itis I suggest stocking up as things I love dearly are often discontinued immediately after I find them. (Dear Teva, Please keep making the Kena shoes forever, thank you. Love, Megan.)

Teva Kena flip-flops

They come in a few colors, though my favorite is simply black. The straps are soft and the knots slide back and forth just a bit so that the straps have enough give that they don’t rub, the foam soles are comfy and squishy, the straps form two X-es across the top of your feet and don’t look much different than a normal flip-flop shoe. My flip-flop envy has been cured.

· comments [30] · 04-29-2009 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 tami // Apr 29, 2009 at 12:03 pm

hiya! i wanted to let you know about these awesome sandals that i found on my honeymoon in hawaii – they are so amazingly comfy! i just bought another pair – i wear them allllll summer!

just scroll down until you see the toe-thongless ones – i looooove them! they run true to size also, which is helpful when ordering online. try them! you will love them (i swear i am not working for them :))

• 2 Page // Apr 29, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Thank god I am not the only one. The thingy between the toes KILLS me. People look at me like I am cross-eyed when I try to commiserate with… well, anyone.

I live in Chacos in the summertime. I may just have to give these a go!

• 3 Meredith // Apr 29, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Teva flip flops are wonderful and I have been a big fan for a long time.I order a new pair about every 2 years or so,that’s how much I wear them!enjoy them!

• 4 sara // Apr 29, 2009 at 12:46 pm

I always used to make fun of my mom for feeling the exact same way. I just ordered them for her for Mother’s day! Perfect!

Thanks for the great post!

• 5 megan // Apr 29, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Page – You can commiserate with me, I’ve never been able to wear flip-flops no matter how much I’ve tried. I love Chacos, but the good thing about these Tevas is that they are made of the lightweight flip-flop foam so they are great for beach/pool/boat situations.

Thanks Tami, those are cute.

Sara – You’re welcome, I hope she likes them!

• 6 Maureen // Apr 29, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I saw QVC advertise these yesterday and they are really pretty cute.

• 7 Mariko // Apr 29, 2009 at 1:23 pm

So your feet don’t slide through and out the front of the shoe? I am determined to try flip flops YET AGAIN this summer, since my new podiatrist is all about the flip flop and keeping the foot in flat shoes. I don’t know if I can do it. I guess I can keep wearing my Keen Bali shoes, though. I’m assuming you’ve tried those? And congrats, by the way, you married woman!

• 8 megan // Apr 29, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Mariko – Much to my delight my narrow-ish feet do not slide to the front of the Kena sandals, though I do have a high arch/that bone at the top of the foot. I have tried on the Keen Bali shoes but my long toes stick out of the slots awkwardly. I find most Keens to be too wide for me to wear properly, sadly.

There are a few more choices of non-thong sandals out there that aren’t flip-flop foam. Teva makes one, I think Merrell makes some. They might not be as flat-soled as you’re looking for though. I often find very flat flip-flop slides with flowers attached to the band in spa/gift shop type boutiques and they look comfortable if not quite the thing I can get away with wearing.

And thanks for the congrats!!

• 9 cyndi tatum // Apr 29, 2009 at 3:01 pm

delurking to tell you to email me at my address for a 20% coupon from Zappos.com!!! I love your site!

• 10 Pam // Apr 29, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Wow…glad to see I am not alone either. LOL. Looks like maybe we could have our own club. I can’t stand the thing between the toe thingy…LOL. I will have to see if I can find the shoes suggested in my area. I bought myself a nice pair of Merril’s this year, but don’t want to wear them where they might get wrecked considing how expensive they were. eeek!! Have a great summer.

• 11 --Deb // Apr 29, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I completely agree with you. I simply cannot wear any sandal that has to fit between my toes. Because, ouch! Now, off I go to check out these…

• 12 sassypriscila // Apr 29, 2009 at 3:46 pm

First of all – welcome back and congratulations!

I could never stand flip-flops either. But last year I bought some from LL Bean and they were so awesome I wore them all summer. If you ever want to try them, you can always return them if you don’t like them.

In the mean time, I’m going to check out those Kenas.

• 13 pigtown*design // Apr 29, 2009 at 3:58 pm

With you 100%. Nothing between the toes. I will have to try these. I am looking for something a little dressier and found a pair of slides at Target.

• 14 nia // Apr 29, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Have you tried Born? They are the only flip flops I can wear, all of their sandals are made of very soft leather.

• 15 Marlena // Apr 30, 2009 at 8:54 am

I also can’t wear flip flops, but these sandals were so cute, and the price was so good (with free overnight shipping?!), I bought them right away. Thanks for the link!

• 16 mitchypoo // Apr 30, 2009 at 11:15 am

I ordered a pair today and I can’t wait to get them! Thanks.

• 17 paola // Apr 30, 2009 at 12:13 pm

I presume you’ve tried Birkenstocks? VERY big in Europe, not so much here, but super comfortable and a bit more solid than Tevas…

• 18 megan // Apr 30, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Paola – Birkenstocks are great, I wore them all through college, but I’m specifically looking for something with the flip-flop foam for beach, pool and other situations that involve water. Well, that and I like the lightness of the foam.

• 19 Molly B. // Apr 30, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I’m so glad to see a fellow non-flip-flopper! I simply don’t believe people are telling the truth when they go on and on about how much they just love wearing them and how comfortable they are. Don’t that have a bloody sore spot between their toes?? These look adorable and summery and actually like something I could wear!

• 20 mandy // Apr 30, 2009 at 3:30 pm

I’m so glad you’re still getting use out of those! I’ve pretty much worn through mine and have been thinking about getting another pair for the coming Sacramento summer… I prefer the black as well, but a color might be fun too. Maybe I should get two pairs? :)

• 21 Amy // May 1, 2009 at 7:09 am

Thank-you so much for the recommendation! I too despise the piece between the toes. I went right to endless.com and ordered the brown ones. They’re great!

• 22 Sarah // May 1, 2009 at 8:04 am

These are my all time favorite! I too have the “toe” issue and found these to be heavenly. I liked them so much, I bought a second pair to toss in the back in the closet for when the first one wears out! (There are another pair of Born hiking shoes there too since they were discontinued!) :)

• 23 Marcie // May 2, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I love my Teva’s! Plan on buying a new pair this year, but my old ones have lasted me quite a few years!

• 24 Marcie // May 2, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Forgot to mention that you can buy them on amazon! worth looking in to at least…

• 25 Barbara // May 5, 2009 at 1:35 am

They are “the” flip flops for 4 years now. They are the only thongs I can support. They have wide sizes for those who have toes that spread out. Thanks for reminding me…need a new pair or two.

• 26 Stephanie Winslow // May 5, 2009 at 9:02 am

Awesome, ordered them yesterday, got them this AM they are very comfortable, I have been looking for a sandal w/out the toe thing too very happy
    Thanks

• 27 Beth // May 15, 2009 at 6:56 am

every time i find something i like, it gets discontinued, too! *grumbles at companies*

• 28 Jocelyn // Apr 23, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I know its a year later, but I got a pair based on your recommendation and I loved them and NOW! they don’t offer them anymore :(

Have you seen anyone else offer flip flops without the toe thingie?

• 29 rhonda // Jul 14, 2014 at 7:02 pm

where did you buy the kena by teva non thong flip flops???

• 30 megan // Jul 14, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Rhonda – Sadly they are no longer being manufactured. Keep an eye out on Ebay though, every once in a while a pair in my size is up for sale and I grab them. These were great sandals but the soles don’t hold up for more than a few summers worth of wear.

If you are like me and need waterproof sandals that work like flip flops go check out Zappos, there are always a few brands than have slides that work like flip flops. Look at sports slides and Crocs. And good luck!