MAC Paint Pot as an eyeshadow base

MAC Paint Pot

For our wedding I was planning on wearing MAC Carbon eyeshadow but in my trials it didn’t want to stay on for more than a few hours. The day before we were getting on the plane I hunted down a MAC counter and asked about eye shadow base and the representative recommended I try their Paint Pot. It’s an eye color but she told me that people have found it is the best thing to keep on intense eyeshadow and that she uses it herself. It worked! I am so very pleased. The day of I put on my makeup at around 11:30 a.m. and my eyeshadow was still dark and dramatic at midnight without any touch ups. I used the Paint Pot in the color Painterly, a matte nude beige, which was just slightly darker than my skin tone. Paint Pot also comes in pearl and frost finishes in a range of beige and pink tones as well as some colors (shockingly bright teal anybody?). You can apply it with a brush, I’ve been using my finger and it goes on very thick. I can definitely recommend giving Paint Pot a try if you suffer from eyeshadow slippage. Paint Pot also gets remarkably high praise from reviewers at Makeupalley (registration required, worth it).

· comments [29] · 04-28-2009 · categories:beauty ·

• 1 Heather // Apr 28, 2009 at 10:25 am

The Paint Pots are outstanding. Never a crease, they stay on day, love the color selection. Absolutely amazing. Love the site!!

• 2 K // Apr 28, 2009 at 11:57 am

Welcome back! So, the Paint Pot goes on first and then powder shadow over the top?

• 3 cck // Apr 28, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I love this stuff. Even through its day-long, glue-like hold, it’s not that bad to wash off. Easy on, easy off.

Congrats, by the way!

• 4 Wendy Piersall // Apr 28, 2009 at 12:04 pm

As they always say on Digg:

“Pics or it didn’t happen.”

;)

• 5 Rebecca U // Apr 28, 2009 at 12:20 pm

As a Sharks fan I’d go for the bright teal, of course, with a heavy heart I’ll have to wait until next season now.

• 6 megan // Apr 28, 2009 at 12:20 pm

K – Yes, the Paint Pot acts as a color and a base.

• 7 ivonne // Apr 28, 2009 at 12:28 pm

the paint tubes do the same thing.

• 8 ivonne // Apr 28, 2009 at 12:29 pm

also, forgot to add.. does the paint pot dry out?

• 9 Cashew // Apr 28, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Urban decay makes a product called primer potion– it works as an eyeshadow base, I swear by it. My makeup artist used a pearly mac paint pot before my eye makeup, and it was fab, it make the matte shadows she used shimmer.

• 10 Heidi // Apr 28, 2009 at 2:15 pm

My sister’s wedding was 2 weekends ago, and the makeup artist used Painterly on our eyes under shadow. She swore by it.

• 11 Sarah // Apr 28, 2009 at 2:16 pm

I adore paint pots – I have several different ones (depending on the shade of the paint, it can change the color of your shadow so be careful)and use it under all my different MAC shadows. I swear this is the only reason my shadows stay on for hours upon hours with my stupid oily eyelids.

• 12 Kaitie Tee // Apr 28, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I swear by a Too Faced product called Shadow Insurance Anti-Crease Eye Shadow Primer – it’s my go to for primer – even better than the Urban Decay primer also mentioned.

• 13 ruth // Apr 28, 2009 at 4:11 pm

I have asian eyes, with double eyelids, so my eye makeup always goes awry because of the way my lids fold up. And I agree, MAC’s paint pots are AWESOME!!! I use them exclusively to line my eyes (wet for a liner look, dry for a pencil look). For a shadow base – consider Urban Decay’s primer potion. It keeps everything in its place!!! It’s magical stuff!!!!!

• 14 Ana // Apr 28, 2009 at 6:04 pm

yes, pictures please. they will answer the most important question: what did you wear?

actually, that’s tied with: what did you eat?

congrats to you both.

• 15 abby // Apr 28, 2009 at 6:35 pm

ha! I got married this weekend and had the exact same MAC experience – went to the counter a few weeks ago and ended up with a pot of painterly. Was happy with all the results of the weekend!

• 16 mare // Apr 28, 2009 at 6:35 pm

makeup alley is pretty great!

congrats on your finding something that works for you, and on your upcoming nuptials.

• 17 mare // Apr 28, 2009 at 6:51 pm

oh wait… ‘the day of’… missed that the first time

yay to you both!

• 18 Darci // Apr 28, 2009 at 6:54 pm

I have been looking for something for years. I try this or that but never in love with anything. Will be adding this to my shopping list.

• 19 megan // Apr 28, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Thanks for all these recommendations for bases!

Wedding stuff will be coming, not to worry!

• 20 Katie M. // Apr 28, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Congrats! For a shadow primer try vagisil chafing cream. A fraction of the price of the Urban Decay primer and same main ingredients. :-)

• 21 Andrea // Apr 29, 2009 at 6:33 am

It’s the only primer that works for me! I have sensitive and delicate skin on my eyelids and I had all but given up on wearing any eye shadow. MAC Paint Pot to the rescue. I use the Painterly color also and will even wear it alone to even out my eye lid skin color when going casual – love it! Visit makeupgeek.com also – she’s great! That’s where I learned about this stuff.

• 22 Lindsay // Apr 29, 2009 at 8:34 am

I love the paint pots! I’m also a big fan of Urban Decay Primer Potion. Make sure you screw the lid on your paint pots tightly and store them upside down. They tend to dry out pretty quickly. I actually prefer the old paint tubes better for this reason, but most have been dc’ed and I think they’re all being phased out eventually.

• 23 Seanna Lea // Apr 29, 2009 at 10:03 am

That product sounds great! I don’t wear eye shadow very often, but for a show I’m in we’re doing heavy shimmery eyemakeup in purples and blues. It sounds like just the thing to push up the intensity!

• 24 Sarah // Apr 29, 2009 at 10:12 am

i love the mac paint pots! i also really like the paints in the tube, but they are a little messier to use. i agree with lindsay that urban decay primer potion works wonders for a lasting look, but it’s translucent so it gives no color background. have you tried nyx shadow pencils? they are really cheap ($3) and not very fancy alone but i find them dreamy for an easy colorful base. http://www.cherryculture.com/cosmetics/makeup/nyx-cosmetics/nyx-jumbo-eyeshadow-pencil/16196&cat=265&page=1

• 25 renaissancetrophywife // Apr 29, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Great tip! I’ve always wondered how people pull off that look in real life without having to reapply so often… off to my MAC store to pick one up.

• 26 Hillary // Apr 30, 2009 at 10:35 am

I agree that the paint pots are great (especially painterly when used as a base). However, a word of warning – I’ve found that the shimmery ones are not a good base. On my fairly normal (read: not oily) lids, they creased within an hour or two. I’m not sure if it’s just my experience or the chemistry of my skin, but I was disappointed because I really, really love the matte ones.

• 27 emic // Apr 30, 2009 at 1:58 pm

katie m., the ingredients for UDPP are Isododecane, Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trihydroxystearin, Triethylhexanoin, Isopropyl Lanolate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Propylene Carbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Cera Alba (Synthetic Beeswax), Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Methicone, Isobutylparaben

May Contain:
    Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride

The ingredients for the Vagisil chafing cream are Benzocaine 5%, Resorcinol 2%, Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Mineral Oil, Isopropyl Palmitate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Corn Oil – Zea Mays, Cholecalciferol, Lanolin Alcohol, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Carbomer, Isopropyl Myistate, Isopropyl Stearate, Sodium Sulfite, Triethanolamine, Trisodium HEDTA

…apparently not the same. I believe you are thinking of Smashbox’s Photo Finish foundation primer and Monistat’s Chafing Relief Powder-Gel. :)

• 28 jamie // Apr 30, 2009 at 2:08 pm

2nding ivonne on the MAC paint tubes. i have one in a color that’s very neutral for my skin tone (it’s called “bamboom”)so it doesn’t alter the color of my eyeshadow. it works wonderfully and it’s a really subtle sheen if i wear it on its own. i’ll have to try out the paint pot too!

• 29 Taryn // May 3, 2009 at 8:05 pm

If you can find the paints those work even better. They are little tube that look like oil paint. The older formula worked better but the new ones are just as good. I find the pots in certain colors can still slide a bit.