help me find this hair straightening iron I’m thinking of

hair straightening irons, Chi original and BaByliss mini

(Pictured above is my BaByliss mini iron with 1/2″ plates which I use for my bangs and which does a fantastic job. The small size means you can get really close to the scalp. I love this thing and cannot recommend it enough. If you’d like to see more scale I took a picture of it on top of a dollar bill.)

(Pictured below it is the original Chi straightening iron which is hugely recommended and which I bought on a whim yesterday. The Chi, as far as I can tell, has a reputation for being the best, and also for breaking after only a year. It’s expensive, most salons sell them for around $200, but you can find them online and at Target for less. Be aware that if you buy one at someplace other than a salon the warranty does not apply.)

My old hairdresser once used a fabulous hair straightening iron on me. It was far smaller than the Chi pictured above and larger than the BaByliss mini. It was compact and easy to maneuver and I want that one. Unfortunately she is no longer at that salon so I cannot ask her what kind it was. I bought the Chi above and I find it just large enough to be awkward. My hair is fine so I don’t need a really super heavy duty iron, and I’d rather have one that is easier to use.

I seem to remember her iron being white, slim and straight sided (no crocodile styling) with 1″ plates, but it was a while ago. Does anybody have any idea what this iron I’m thinking of might be?

The Chi Turbo irons look like they might be smaller (shorter) than the original (and since they have temperature settings I might get one of those instead). I’m not particularly loyal to Chi though and would happily try out other irons that aren’t as large. Unfortunately I’m having trouble searching for irons because there are so many mentions of plate size and hair length that using words like short, small, and mini don’t really help sort through the results. Even Folica, which it seems is to hair stuff as Makeupalley.com is to makeup, isn’t helping me out here. Anybody know what iron my stylist might have used?

· comments [40] · 04-15-2009 · categories:beauty ·

• 1 Cami // Apr 15, 2009 at 9:57 am

Is it possible she was using a Corioliss mini-styler? You can find them on Amazon and a few other sites. I don’t know how popular they are in the US but in the UK they’re virtually unheard of – but amazing hair straighteners. They come in loads of designs so you might not find the exact mental picture.

• 2 Rose // Apr 15, 2009 at 9:59 am

It’s not Paul Mitchell is it? That’s the straightener of my dreams.

• 3 megan // Apr 15, 2009 at 10:06 am

Rose – Maybe, Amazon has that one listed as being 10 inches long, which is the same length as the Chi. Maybe I’m remembering wrong as all the irons I’m looking at are 10 inches long.

• 4 Lindsay // Apr 15, 2009 at 10:18 am

ghd? they made a white limited edition one, it did have 1″ plates. ive had my chi for at least 3 years and its like new, i use it almost every single day. i think ghd has edged out chi as the straightener of choice.

• 5 Lindsay // Apr 15, 2009 at 10:19 am

sorry to double, its called the pure:

• 6 megan // Apr 15, 2009 at 10:32 am

Cami – The Corioliss mini looks like the size of my BaByliss, but I cannot find dimensions so I’m not certain.

Lindsay – GHD look similar but all the dimensions I can find are up around 10″ long as well. Though, thank you for introducing a new brand to me!

• 7 Nadia // Apr 15, 2009 at 10:57 am

I’m delurking to give you one tip on the CHI: when it brakes, which mine did, all you need to do is replace the cord.
    P.S. LOVE your blog.

• 8 fi // Apr 15, 2009 at 11:04 am

I bet it was a T3 – they have come in a bunch of colours and seem to be the deluxe/salon version of straighteners. They come in a few versions so maybe check their sizes!

• 9 fi // Apr 15, 2009 at 11:16 am

The T3s come in narrow sizes as well:

Pro Straighten:

SinglePass Narrow:

There are others and you can find them cheaper than that. My sister is crazy crazy about hers.

• 10 fi // Apr 15, 2009 at 11:20 am

Here’s a youtube review of the GHD white hair straightener too:

• 11 Jessica F. // Apr 15, 2009 at 11:44 am

I second Lindsay, I think you might be thinking of a GHD. Maybe you were thinking it was smaller then it really was? I’ve worked in many different salons as a receptionist and the stylists almost always used a GHD or a Chi. Two of the most popular brands or at least they are from my experience. Maybe try a store who sells products and tools to salons and they could point you in the right direction.

PS…I own a GHD at home, absolute favorite! :) Works great even after 4 years of daily use.

• 12 Melinda // Apr 15, 2009 at 11:45 am

I found one very similar to this at TJ Maxx, I can’t remember the brand.

They had lots to choose from and I think it was $24.99.

Melinda

• 13 Christi // Apr 15, 2009 at 11:47 am

call your salon and ask them what brand(s) straighteners they use
    the equipment usually stays withe salon not the stylist

• 14 Melanie // Apr 15, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I use the Chi when I am in Canada and I have a GHD in the UK.
    Both are great!
    The Chi takes a bit longer,but the effort is well worth it considering I have very wavy thick hair. :)

I’ve had the chi too for about 4 years now I think and no issues :)

• 15 debi // Apr 15, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Could it be the Infra Shine? I bought mine at my salon, but it’s also on amazon. Love it!

• 16 megan // Apr 15, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Thank you so much for all these answers!

Christi – I did not know that, I will phone them to ask.

Jessica – Yup, it’s entirely likely I’m remembering it smaller than it was, and the more I research the more I think there isn’t a good flat iron under 10 inches long.

• 17 Sarah // Apr 15, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I thought all hairdressers used GHDs.

• 18 Andrea // Apr 15, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I have the Paul Mitchell with temperature setting. My stylist had one and then I had to have it. I have curly, curly, curly hair and I could not believe how straight and soft it made my hair. I LOVE it. There is a picture of my straight and curly hair on my blog.

• 19 Sarah // Apr 15, 2009 at 4:01 pm

I know! My sister is a stylist, and her beloved, white straightener is a BioIonic OnePass. I’m practically positive this is it.

• 20 Gwen // Apr 15, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Sorry if this is obvious and you’ve already tried, but can you find out where your old stylist went and call her?

• 21 Julie // Apr 15, 2009 at 6:57 pm

I don’t know the one you mean, BUT why don’t you look up “Beauty Supply” places in your town. They only check your credentials when you go to the till to pay…. so you can look around and find the one you want. You can probably get a stylist in the store whose shopping to bootleg it for you, or get the name and make and ask your own stylist if she can get it for you.

• 22 Brooke // Apr 15, 2009 at 8:06 pm

I’d try calling the salon, even if your stylist isn’t there anymore, one of the other stylists may know what was used!

• 23 Billie // Apr 15, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Don’t know what your beautician used, but I purchased a Solia ceramic flat iron over a year ago. LOOOOOOVE it! It gets hot quickly, adjustable temp settings, can be used on slightly damp hair, and plates automatically adjust to meet while smoothing over hair. I have short hair and the 1″ plates work well for me. Can purchase at folica.com or salons.

• 24 corrin // Apr 16, 2009 at 3:30 am

I’d like to know what she was using, too. My Chi is worthless. I haven’t had it that long, but it doesn’t get up to temperature anymore.

• 25 Andrea // Apr 16, 2009 at 4:47 am

I got mine at Gene Juarez and it says it is a GA.MA and it is wonderful. It has medium plates and is super easy to handle, heats in a couple seconds. Highly recommended. http://discontinuedbeauty.com/store/gama-italy-ceramic-professional-iron-p-1817.html?currency=USD&language=en

Of course, I paid twice this amount at GJ. Of course.

• 26 Jessica // Apr 16, 2009 at 6:33 am

Check these out. They used to make a 1 inch white one cause my hair stylist had it too and they discontinued the white:

My hair stylist SWORE by CHI for years and after looking into it bought a HairArt one cause they last forever (the CHI’s dying was a problem for her too) and they are WAY cheaper (I got the tourmaline one for like 45 dollars on Amazon a while back)

I’ve been using it a while and love it. It doesn’t have that “burning” smell cheaper ones have and works just as great as a CHI but doesn’t die.

• 27 Laura // Apr 16, 2009 at 8:09 am

My Hair dresser uses the Paul Mitchell smoothing iron, (the one with the green plates) I love the way my hair turns out every time I go there.
    I just researched the bioionic and I may just have to buy it, I’ve been wrestling for a year on buying a new one because of the price but from the amazon reviews (of all the bio irons) I am practically sold.

• 28 greta // Apr 16, 2009 at 10:50 am

my old stylist used to use a Paul Mitchell one too, it was white and worked like a dream. i’ve tried the high end ones (currently own a solia) and while they’re good, the PM one was amazing.

• 29 kittybaroque // Apr 16, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Hi there,

I’ve recently been able to stop using a straightener at all and am REALLY happy about it as my hair is bouncing back. Try a product by a US brand Giovanni called Straight FAST! its AWESOME as is anything else in their range.
    No, I don’t work for the company or sell it but just LOOOOOVVEEEE this product, has less of the chemical nasties – hardly any – and saves me frazzling.
    Good luck with your searchXX
    KittyB

• 30 mare // Apr 16, 2009 at 6:00 pm

My hair has waves and, apparently, its own mind. I learned to accept that early on.

I hope you find what you are looking for, or accept that you (and your hair) we made to be as they are.

• 31 Marcie // Apr 16, 2009 at 6:57 pm

This is un-related to the current topic, but did you see the current gift guide on Etsy? All about hand made wedding! http://www.etsy.com/gift-guides/weddings-and-celebrations/107?ref=fp_banner_weddings_guide_040609

• 32 Heather // Apr 16, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Found @ costco!
    Chi Flat Iron and Dryer Mini Collection
    Includes: travel case, Chi Infra shampoo, Infra treatment, Chi Silk Fusion and Chi 44 Iron Guard
    Item # 397840
    $78.99

• 33 erin // Apr 17, 2009 at 3:48 am

Is it HAI brand? I bought one several years ago from my stylist for $100. It has a 5 year warranty and works GREAT!

• 34 tori // Apr 17, 2009 at 11:08 am

was it metropolis? http://www.nextag.com/metropolis-flat-iron/search-html

• 35 megan // Apr 17, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Thank you so much for all these leads! I found a 9″ Babyliss pro flat iron that, despite only being an inch shorter, seemed like a nice size. It had a strange flocked area to it which I suspect would get dirty awfully quickly.

Heather – Thanks for the heads up on the good price at Costco!

• 36 Orpim // Apr 19, 2009 at 7:12 am

I love Chi

• 37 Kristi // Apr 23, 2009 at 11:13 am

Just thought I’d pass on some info. Go to folica.com, they sell just about every kind and price range of flat irons. I have a Sedu flat iron and they are the pricey end, but I have had the same one since 2003 and it has never shown any signs of decline. It is also considered one of the better brands on the market. Other than that, folica carries a variety of sizes and styles of different irons ranging from $20 to $200. Hope this is helpful

• 38 T. // Apr 24, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I love my T3, the large and the mini. I got mine at Nordstroms, they go on sale during the half yearly sale.

• 39 Jenn Bo // Apr 25, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I’ve have a superstar 1″ flat iron for about 3 years now… still going stong. I like that it has temperature control, is lightweight, and heats up and cools down relatively quickly (so I can put it back in the drawer). I think I paid somewhere around $120.

• 40 corrin // Apr 26, 2009 at 7:25 am

Just a heads up that I tried the iSmooth and it was terrible. No way did it get up to the 400 degrees it claimed to. I’m now looking into the Ella that gets up to 475 degrees, but is a whopping $300.