minus one appendix

the giant light over the hospital bed in the ER

Yesterday morning I took Scott to the emergency room with what we thought was some food poisoning and by that afternoon he was in surgery to have his appendix removed. He’s home and doing well (should be considering the painkillers he was sent home with). The hospital experience was great, the doctors, nurses and staff were unfailingly helpful and kind and I learned you can get room service when you’re in the hospital. But now we’re both tired and I’ve become overwhelmed with the desire to wash every single thing in the house.

Here is to wishing everybody good health and a great weekend. Drink ‘em if you’re not on antibiotics!

· comments [38] · 04-2-2009 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 Maggie // Apr 2, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Wow–I have never heard of such a positive experience in the hospital, and have certainly never experienced it personally. BUT I am so happy to hear that you did! Things like that make you realize how unimportant everything else is when health fails you, even temporarily. Glad you’re both ok, phew. Take Care! (:

• 2 Dinah // Apr 2, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Eeek! So glad everything turned out just fine.

Big hugs – the virtual non-actual-tender-guts-squeezing kind – to you both!

• 3 Shelley Noble // Apr 2, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Whosh! Glad things are put right!

• 4 Ruby // Apr 3, 2009 at 1:00 am

Room service? No way!

It is really bothering me trying to figure out what the picture is of..Please tell me?!

And Get well soon Scott!

Ruby x

• 5 kelly // Apr 3, 2009 at 2:45 am

Oh, feel better you both! If he needs something to read while recovering, may I suggest Pride and Prejudice and
    Zombies?
    Available from Amazon!”It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains,” how awesome is that?

• 6 Enna // Apr 3, 2009 at 3:25 am

I hope he is up and moving around soon!

• 7 Gillian // Apr 3, 2009 at 4:05 am

Yikes! Thanks for sharing your experience and glad everything is working out. Thinking about you guys!

• 8 Sarah // Apr 3, 2009 at 5:18 am

I am glad it was a good experience and that he’s safe!

• 9 Kristina // Apr 3, 2009 at 5:28 am

Haha! This happened to me on New Year’s Eve this year! I thought I was extremely constipated starting on Monday, still the same on Tuesday. Wednesday my mother told me to take a Gas-X and that “You kids always think it’s your appendix” and at 7pm I was in surgery. I found out later that the appendix was “gangrenous”. Awesome! I watched the ball drop in NYC form my hospital bed in a morphine induced stupor all by myself. And yes, you appreciate your health (and health insurance!) every day afterwards. Good health to Scott!

• 10 Mox Rogers // Apr 3, 2009 at 5:33 am

Wow! Thank goodness everything…um…came out alright. Hooray for (rare, I’m sure) good hospital experiences!

• 11 Kelly // Apr 3, 2009 at 6:00 am

ugh! hope he’s on the mend.

xo
    Kelly

• 12 chez shoes // Apr 3, 2009 at 6:34 am

If I ever have to have emergency surgery? I want to stay in *that* hospital!

*Raises glass in a toast to Scott’s speedy recovery*

• 13 Amanda Nicole // Apr 3, 2009 at 6:57 am

Aw, good to hear everything’s alright!

• 14 fert // Apr 3, 2009 at 7:45 am

i’m glad scott’s doing well. if, um, you have any of those, you know, painkillers left over, um, …nevermind.

• 15 herschel // Apr 3, 2009 at 7:52 am

glad to hear you and scott are doing much better — what a scary experience!

• 16 kris // Apr 3, 2009 at 8:57 am

oh no! get well soon, scott!

• 17 j // Apr 3, 2009 at 8:57 am

Just a word of warning – I developed all kinds of food and other sensitivities after having my appendix removed 3 years ago. Gluten came first, then elastic, then sorghum. The body does not take kindly to invasion, even if it brings it on itself!

• 18 Shannon // Apr 3, 2009 at 9:04 am

Oh no! I had mine out when I was 12; I was on vacation with my parents and we ended up driving six hours back to Calgary to the hospital.

Give Scott my best. And try not to make him laugh for a week or two!

• 19 just barrie // Apr 3, 2009 at 9:52 am

i don’t know you or scott, but i’m glad he’s safe and sound. it’s these kind of things that make your upcoming “i do forever” all the more clear.

• 20 tulip // Apr 3, 2009 at 10:02 am

Hugs and internet love to you both and I’m very glad he’s ok! :)

• 21 Seanna Lea // Apr 3, 2009 at 10:35 am

Wow! Here’s to a quick recovery and similar (or better yet, no) hospital experiences in the future!

• 22 Michelle // Apr 3, 2009 at 10:43 am

My goodness, you must still be in shock! So glad he’s home and on the mend.

• 23 Jamie // Apr 3, 2009 at 11:10 am

So glad he’s okay and everything went well. Time to enjoy a relaxing weekend.

• 24 Erin // Apr 3, 2009 at 11:25 am

How fortunate that you didn’t try to treat “food poisoning” at home and miss the needed appendectomy!

What is the photo of?

• 25 amanda // Apr 3, 2009 at 1:34 pm

How scary! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

And, please, what is that photo? Petri dish? Cetrifuge? MRI machine? A stack of CDs that Scott is going to record his bedpan blues on?

• 26 megan // Apr 3, 2009 at 2:51 pm

The picture is me pointing my iPhone camera straight up at the huge exam light that hung over the bed in the ER, where we were for most of the day. Not a bed pan, I promise!

• 27 Erica // Apr 3, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Get Well Soon!

• 28 MamaLana // Apr 3, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Get well quick (the both of you!)

• 29 Carol // Apr 4, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Hope he’s better soon! I’m curious to know which Seattle hospital this was… I taught childbirth classes at Evergreen (and also went to the ER there when I broke this dang ankle) and I had surgery on the ankle and stayed at Harborview.

Totally different experiences! Craziness!

Glad I discovered you; how did it take so long, considering we’re both Seattle bloggers?! :-D

Carol

• 30 Stephanie // Apr 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Here’s to a quick recovery!

• 31 Silvia // Apr 5, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Eek! Glad he’s doing well, I’ll be sending you both lots of happy and healing thoughts!

• 32 House of 9 Lives // Apr 6, 2009 at 10:31 am

Of all the interesting things I’ve seen on your site, this is the first that has induced me to comment!

Best wishes to Scott for a full recovery!! Hope you can get some rest, too!

• 33 megan // Apr 6, 2009 at 10:47 am

Thank you so much to everybody for the good wishes. He’s doing just fine, and even got to play a gig last weekend.

• 34 Butzeballchen // Apr 6, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Yikes! Glad he is doing ok now!

This is why maried men live longer. They have nice wives, or fiancees, to drive them to the ER :)

• 35 ROX // Apr 8, 2009 at 3:47 pm

yeah, my fiance just got his appendix taken out this week too >.< worst week ever…

• 36 Wyrd // Apr 9, 2009 at 4:23 pm

I go into nesting mode when anyone gets hurt or sick too. I just think…GERMS. My son got out of the hospital in November and I’m STILL in cleaning mode.

• 37 Anne // Apr 24, 2009 at 7:03 am

My gosh, its a rash of appendiciticies! My step-mom and a friend’s hubby also went through this in the last 30 days. Well wishes to the man, who may be getting excited to do some heavy lifting. :)

• 38 Chelsey // May 5, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I also got my appendix removed last month. I was sick with what I thought was just a stomach flu…until the side pain & almost 103 degree fever!

I went to the hospital at 10:45 am and was in surgery before 1 pm. I hope he’s feeling better, my surgery was April 21 and I’m still not back to 100%! Surgery takes a lot out of you, I just want to sleep all day now!