creme brulee branding iron

creme brulee branding iron at Savoy restaurant

I absolutely love this, a creme brulee branding iron that is heated in the fireplace of Savoy, where it’s served. According to the owner: “It adds a nice ‘fireplace flavor’ to the dessert”.

(Quote taken from the story in New York Magazine, photo credit Melissa Hom, and via Brandon of Delancey, which I’m anticipating opening soon.)

· comments [11] · 04-1-2009 · categories:food ·

• 1 Leigh Ann // Apr 1, 2009 at 9:25 am

Yummy…Don’t you wish creme brulee was as easy to make as Jello…

• 2 CakeSpy // Apr 1, 2009 at 9:40 am

So dramatic! I love it! Incidentally, I also love the “housekeeping” — very cute new look. Love the new typestyle.

• 3 robyn // Apr 1, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Love the new banner!

• 4 jaime // Apr 1, 2009 at 6:07 pm

i need this in ways i cannot yet explain.

• 5 samin // Apr 1, 2009 at 7:32 pm

that’s the original creme brulee iron! it’s how they made it in the olden days–i got one in barcelona a long time ago for crema catalana. so rustic and traditional–i love it!

• 6 Dallas from Bitchin' Lifestyle // Apr 2, 2009 at 11:57 am

Hi Sarah,

My name is Dallas, and this is my first time on your blog. I am so surprised I have not come across it until now. It’s awesome! I will be a regular reader from now on :)

• 7 Dallas from Bitchin' Lifestyle // Apr 2, 2009 at 11:58 am

Wow, that’s embarrassing. I typed Sarah when I meant to write to you, Megan. Sorry, my friend’s name popped into my head while I was writing. I was thinking how much she would like your blog. Anyways, sorry about that!

• 8 Stacy T // Apr 3, 2009 at 4:41 am

savoy was our first date – amazing place. my husband was so nervous and shy. what happened to that guy anyway??

• 9 Brianna // Apr 9, 2009 at 2:32 pm

!!! I was there a few months ago, and it /does/ taste amazing with that fireplace flavor.

I love Savoy. We go every time we’re in New York, it’s a tradition now.

• 10 MyLastBite // Apr 18, 2009 at 9:07 am

I saw an iron similar to this on an episode of Jose Andres Made in Spain… I kept rewinding it to hear the “pfft pfft” of the iron hitting the top of the dessert. VERY COOL.

• 11 Erin H // Aug 15, 2011 at 11:53 am

Where do I buy these brulee irons for commercial use?