thing I like: simple champagne stopper

champagne stopper on a bottle

Our upcoming nuptials mean we’ve been popping champagne corks more than usual. The last time we visited the lovely Kay she showed off this little champagne stopper that had little arms that grab underneath the rim on the neck of the bottle (where the twisted bit of wire grabs). So far, it’s worked great. We’ve even managed to keep the champagne bottle cold using our Vacu Vin ice pack, though at this rate we’ll have to invest in an attractive champagne bucket soon.

I found this champagne stopper at the grocery store in the wine aisle, but you can find them on Amazon, along with a few that are more expensive but have a bit of a nicer design: WMF Clever and Blomus.

· comments [11] · 03-26-2009 · categories:drink · shopping ·

• 1 liz // Mar 26, 2009 at 10:24 am

I have one of these too and I love it! We use it for our Prosecco bottles & it keeps for about an extra day, maybe.

• 2 wende // Mar 26, 2009 at 11:12 am

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. This stopper is absolutely beautiful.

I will confess, however, that we use a far less beautiful yet equally elegant solution. Elegant in the simplicity–the plastic caps that come on top of Sparkling Apple juice (like Martinelli’s) fit a standard champagne bottle. I keep a stash of them on hand to top unfinished bottles. Works like a charm, champagne stays bubbly for days,

• 3 megan // Mar 26, 2009 at 11:17 am

Oh, good advice, thanks Wende.

• 4 Mary T // Mar 26, 2009 at 12:05 pm

This makes me smile — my grandmother used to use these! Back in the day, all soda came in glass bottles that didn’t have a twist-off cap, so they had variations on it with these colorful little rubber stoppers that they’d use to keep the rest of the bottle fresh. This is like the grown-up version of those. Thanks for the memory!

• 5 greta // Mar 26, 2009 at 12:15 pm

in a pinch, i’ve also used crumpled aluminum foil as a stopper – put a bit of the crumpled part into the bottle opening, then wrap the remainder over the top. It worked surprisingly well, and kept it bubbly for a couple of days!

• 6 Jen // Mar 26, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Invest in an attractive champagne bucket? That’s what bridal registries are for!!!

Congrats, btw! =)

• 7 Rob // Mar 26, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I’ve found that Lever Bottle Stoppers work equally well as champagne stoppers do at creating an air-tight seal, and they are much cheaper and take up much less space.

• 8 Joanna // Mar 26, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Having a mother that is a HUGE fan of the bubbly, I have learned to always keep a bottle chilled in the fridge. But often the bottle will not be consumes in one fell swoop. We have tried many a champagne stopper and found the ones where the rubber stopper actually goes into the neck of the bottle like this one:
    really work best.
    I have had the other ones pop on me if not placed properly!
    Congrats on the upcoming nuptials and many happy glasses of bubbly to come!

• 9 CookingSchoolConfidential.coms // Mar 26, 2009 at 4:51 pm

What an elegant little thing. And what a pretty picture to capture it.

We are learning about presentation at school these days (I’m a culinary school student) so I’m looking at food and food-related pictures for inspiration, and this is inspiring.

Cheers!

• 10 Amanda // Mar 28, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Which grocery stores have these been spotted in? I’ve been looking for something like this for a while, and if they’re readily available at my local QFC or Safeway, someone please do tell.

• 11 megan // Mar 28, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Amanda – I bought this very one at my local PCC Market in Seattle, or maybe a QFC, I cannot quite remember (what with all the extra sipping of bubbly I’ve been doing lately).