Cook’s Illustrated Make-Ahead Recipes

Cooks Illustrated Best Make-Ahead Recipe book

We’re lazy about weeknight dinners (too cranky to chop!) but find we’re really happy if we cook a bit on the weekends and have things like bolognese, prepped kale and pot pies in the freezer. In an effort to expand this I just picked up the Spring 2009 Cook’s Illustrated issue of Make-Ahead Recipes but I note with interest that there is also a The Best Make-Ahead Recipe book which I’ll have to add to my wishlist.

· comments [9] · 03-19-2009 · categories:books · food ·

• 1 pam // Mar 19, 2009 at 12:13 pm

i am pretty much obsessed with all cook’s illustrated cookbooks (more bedtime reading for me at this point of my life) but this one especially looks useful. thanks for the tip!

ps the starbucks coffee i won from you was v good. :)

• 2 Missy // Mar 20, 2009 at 5:20 am

America’s Test Kitchen’s mailing list usually gets you offers discounted books- right now the Make-Ahead Recipes book is 50% off!

• 3 Missy // Mar 20, 2009 at 5:25 am

To add to the above, the promo code that showed up for my order was CE09034AB.

• 4 mamafitz // Mar 20, 2009 at 5:32 am

i have that cookbook. it’s very nice, and like all cook’s illustrated recipes, they tell you why they did things they did, so you know if you sub something else, it might not work. i love ATK and cook’s illustrated.

• 5 Blake K // Mar 20, 2009 at 6:31 am

Hmmm … sounds useful for parties … parties around here are always about scrambling to find some recipe that won’t make you crazy on the day of, instead of just opening a few mega-bags of kettle corn.

• 6 Caitlin // Mar 20, 2009 at 8:12 am

I have this cookbook, and there are quite a few keeper recipes in it (probably more than any other cookbook I own). There is a pasta salad in there that I get requests for whenever there’s a potluck.

• 7 mary beth // Mar 21, 2009 at 9:34 am

Well thank you! I just put it on reserve at the new york public library. Such a dangerous idea though b/c I’m sure to get all fundamentalist about it.

• 8 Kelley CSmith // Mar 24, 2009 at 11:26 am

I love this book.
    Try the chicken enchiladas – they’re a little spicier than we like, so I cut back on the jalapenos, but they’re super yummy and you can “supersize” the recipe to yield 30.

• 9 Julie Anne // Oct 6, 2009 at 5:50 pm

I would really like to know where I can get the spring 2009 magazine of Make ahead recipes, not the hardback cook book. I can’t seem to find it anywhere! can anyone tell me?