thing to try: St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram

St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram label

A bottle of St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram caught my eye the other day and I made a note to look into it. From the importer: “The allspice liqueur, known in classic cocktails as “Pimento Dram,” brings together the fine pot-still rum and classic allspice berries of Jamaica. Enjoy St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram in classic cocktails, Wassail and other punches, mulled wine, continental and island cuisine.” (ed. note: Wassail!) Two At The Most has a recipe that uses it in Black River Sidecar. Drink Boston calls it a lost cocktail ingredient that is being found again and includes recipes from various sources for Passenger Pigeon, None But the Brave, and Lion’s Tail. I’ll have to grab that bottle when we go back.

· comments [7] · 03-12-2009 · categories:drink ·

• 1 sarah // Mar 12, 2009 at 9:18 pm

can I ask where you found it? I’m in Seattle, too, and I LOVE allspice. This sounds really interesting, and I’d love to go pick up a bottle!

• 2 Rebecca // Mar 13, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Mmm. This sounds yummy. I’ll have to try some!

• 3 megan // Mar 13, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Sarah – Sure. It was at the liquor store in SODO. It was on one of the shelving units that are out in the middle of the display floor. It was far away from the registers closer to the back of the room, I think near the vodkas.

• 4 sarah // Mar 14, 2009 at 11:52 pm

megan – I got it! It is awesome! I actually can’t imagine mixing it with anything; it’s perfect just as it is (I’m having a hard time pacing myself and not going hog-wild).

It smells a bit like eggnog and the clove flavour is very strong. It has a warming feeling going down the throat, and a friend of mine who joined me in tasting it tonight said it made her tongue all numb/tingly (again, that kind of clove-effect).

Thanks for the tip on this – it’s a winner!

(now I really want to try the austrian walnut liqeur that the importer also carries … I wish it wasn’t $30 for 375 mL, though.)

• 5 amanda // Mar 16, 2009 at 9:02 am

Yes! Buy it! I got some last winter and tried making a few cocktails with it but, honestly, it’s delicious on its own. It’s fantastic on its own! Sip it in a little sherry glass.

• 6 megan // Mar 17, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Thank you both for the reviews, I definitely have to go back to get a bottle.

• 7 N2 // Mar 29, 2009 at 10:11 am