fifth sweater: restart

me wearing half of a sweater, the top half

I didn’t get far with my improvised top-down raglan before I found the arms were going to be too wide and I was going to run out of yarn, so I started over. This time I’m improvising something similar to a top-down version of the Button On Blanket, except not ribbed all around and with the button band worked as I go along.

a sweater in progress

As I got further down and found I nearly had all the width for the body I wanted, but not for the sleeves I started skipping every other row of increases for the body and it seems to have worked out well. I’m nearly to the point where I’ll be working on the body itself.

I moved the points where the increases start close to the tops of the shoulders, like the B.O.B. has them, but I lined them up with the ribbing on my collar. So far so good.

a sweater in progress

· comments [13] · 03-9-2009 · categories:knitting ·

• 1 Jamie // Mar 9, 2009 at 2:20 pm

good luck! i hate restarting projects so i totally feel your pain.

• 2 Stacey // Mar 9, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Running out of yarn is the worst feeling. But this is looking really good!

• 3 Lauren // Mar 10, 2009 at 3:26 am

That just looks magical to me. I don’t have the skills to even comprehend how you get yarn to do that. Way cool.

• 4 Nana // Mar 10, 2009 at 5:30 am

it’s looking quite good already! i love cables on sweaters and these are very beautiful.

• 5 avalee // Mar 10, 2009 at 6:54 am

I really like the look of this sweater– will you be publishing the pattern at any point?

• 6 Liz // Mar 10, 2009 at 7:14 am

I only dream of being able to knit. In reality, I cant even use a hot glue gun very well. :)

• 7 Kate // Mar 10, 2009 at 8:05 am

Very pretty! Maybe you should leave it at this length…you are really rocking the half-sweater ;-D

• 8 Barbara // Mar 10, 2009 at 12:09 pm

I second the request for a pattern when you’re finished. I’ll even volunteer to test knit it!

• 9 jenney // Mar 10, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Your cables are fantastic.

• 10 Seanna Lea // Mar 10, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Cute! I really should try improvising my own sweater. At this point I’ve finished enough of them that I should have the basic ideas down.

• 11 Michelle // Mar 10, 2009 at 7:55 pm

I just wanted to say I found your blog a long time ago and have been following it off and on since. But what I really wanted to say is not only are you really talented with a great eye, but you’re beautiful! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a picture of you, and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised.

• 12 megan // Mar 10, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Michelle – Thanks, you are sweet. I’m not hiding though, there is a picture of me on my about page, and on my Flickr stream.

• 13 MJ // Mar 16, 2009 at 3:21 am

I’ve found that with top-down raglans, the ratio of stitches for the sleeve to stitches for the body is totally dependent on the knitter. Most top-down designs I’ve seen have gone from 1/3 to 1/2, but what’s key is the number of stitches you end up with at the underarm. It looks like you’ve figured it all out. Good luck with the sweater, those cables are luscious!