Valentine’s Day Wishes

We’ve developed a Valentine’s Day tradition in our house, we skip the cards and chocolates and instead I take the day off and spend the whole time cooking something fantastic for dinner. Last year I made Everyday Food’s Beef Tenderloin with Horseradish Cream Sauce which is completely amazing. I bought the tenderloin at Whole Foods, where I rarely shop, and had to ask the butcher for a small enough cut. They handed me back at $27 (!!) piece of meat and I was too embarrassed to protest about the price. Turns out? It was absolutely worth it, that night I finally understood how beef could be melt in your mouth tender. I also made Alton Brown’s Sour Cream Cheesecake which I can recommend with a Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafer crust. Just, make sure you give yourself enough time to let it set, last year we used the middle of the cake as a cold fondue for pretzels.

This year Scott has a cold, which I’m likely to come down with, so I’m planning on putting together some chicken pot pies. Anybody have a trusty pot pie recipe? I think I’m even going to start with (dramatic music) making my own stock. And our dessert plans have us giddy with a combination of ease, deliciousness and our rarely possessed gift of forethought: we’re going to open the box of Trader Joe’s Candy Cane Joe-Joe’s that we’ve been keeping in the freezer since Christmas. Thank you to everybody who alerted me to the incomparable awesomeness of these cookies, and the TJ’s employee who admitted to us that she always gets extra boxes of cookies to freeze.

And if you’re not so into the idea of Valentine’s Day why not give yourself the excuse to develop a hangover while celebrating 1234567890 Day tonight.

Some V-day links for you:

Ribcage with Heart Card by xlessthan3 and sold at Etsy, via Swiss Miss

Large shortbread custom message hearts for Valentine’s Day, at Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories

Geek Valentines at Waxy

I like the pen with a heart stamp and the secret message ring in the Cool Hunting gift guide

Looking for some delicious and deliciously simple recipes for a special date night. at Ask Metafilter

I like this M&Ms pixel cake at Cake Wrecks, I want to use this idea sometime

Happy Valentine’s Day, I hope you get to do exactly what you’d like to be doing!

· comments [25] · 02-13-2009 · categories:events · food · holidays · mumbling ·

• 1 Kate // Feb 13, 2009 at 10:46 am

Making your own stock is pretty easy and so worth it! It’s economical, too.

I’d like to recommend Ina Garten’s chicken pot pie, although I actually prefer her veggie version–it’s phenomenal.

• 2 Bertha // Feb 13, 2009 at 11:01 am

The chicken pot pie recipe I make all the time is from one of last year’s Everyday Foods (def. my favorite food mag!)…the recipe isn’t on the website, but it’s on the cover of one of the 2008 issues. I think it’s called “lighter chicken pot pie.”

But if I want special occasion chicken pot pie, I use Martha’s “Double Crust Chicken and Mushroom pie,” which is on her website…fantastic.

• 3 ChrisBL // Feb 13, 2009 at 11:24 am

I have used Ina Garten’s pot pie recipe with much success, though I like to use a double crust instead of just a top crust. My mom always made it that way.

• 4 Cara // Feb 13, 2009 at 11:26 am

I have to second the Ina Garten recommendation. I made her veggie pot pie, which has a little saffron in it, and it was divine. I’m sure you could easily add chicken chunks to it.

• 5 Jodie // Feb 13, 2009 at 11:33 am

I also wanted to mention Ina Garten’s individual chicken pot pies. I haven’t made them, but I’ve seen the segment on Barefoot Contessa a couple of times and it made me want to try!

• 6 Kate // Feb 13, 2009 at 11:45 am

Beef tenderloin is indeed worth the price. I buy it once in a blue moon as a rare treat, coat it with dijon mustard and pepper, roast it rare, and serve it with a mushroom tarragon sauce. It’s my favourite dish. Too bad I can only afford to have it about once a year!

• 7 Ann // Feb 13, 2009 at 11:50 am

My favorite pot pie is this one from epicurious: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-and-Fall-Vegetable-Pot-Pie-102378

You can substitute any ol’ veggies, but use their gravy and their crust. It is AMAZING. I make it every year with Thanksgiving leftovers.

• 8 Gina // Feb 13, 2009 at 12:26 pm

this is the best pot pie i’ve ever made

enjoy!

• 9 Gina // Feb 13, 2009 at 12:27 pm

okay there

• 10 Ambrosia Paula // Feb 13, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I hope Scott feels better and that you don’t come down with that cold. But, I do love me some chicken pot pies!!!

I am all about spending V-Day at home – that is our tradition, too. In fact, I just blogged about an aphrodisiac infused Valentines Day picnic at home here, should you be well enough, and interested.

Happy V-Day!!!

• 11 Mary T // Feb 13, 2009 at 3:45 pm

I have an amazing chicken pot pie recipe — can’t find it online anymore but could scan it in if I can find it. It has a filling with leeks and carrots and is so delicious I’ve just used that part and made soup.

• 12 dave // Feb 13, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I can’t help but feel responsible for the cold. I’m really sorry. I recommend whiskey or bourbon as a cure all (excluding of course drunkenness).

• 13 megan // Feb 13, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Mary – If you can find it I’d love a copy, I adore leeks.

Dave – We’re pretty sure this is an office cold, I don’t think it came from you, so no worries!

Gina – Thanks so much, the celery salt in the crust sounds fantastic.

• 14 Kathy // Feb 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm

http://www.tastespotting.com/ is always my favorite place to look first!
    Happy Valentine’s day and thank-you for all the great suggestions each week!

• 15 hilary // Feb 13, 2009 at 6:28 pm

We always make the Cooks Illustrated Chicken Pot Pie from “Cover and Bake.” Not sure why, but you can find the recipe here: http://umble-pie.blogspot.com/2008/11/mavis-makes-chicken-pot-pie.html

• 16 Ana // Feb 13, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Chicken pot pie sounds marvelous right now.

And CakeWrecks is one of my fave blogs, it’s fun to see really nice stuff over there. That M&M cake rocks.

• 17 Susan O // Feb 13, 2009 at 7:46 pm

When I think pot pie, I think comfort, and comfort isn’t at all fancy in my book. This is my favorite recipe:

• 18 seedless grape // Feb 13, 2009 at 8:39 pm

The Cook’s Illustrated pot pie recipe is terrific. After I made it the first time, I made three more in the next two months–two to freeze and one to eat right away!

Hope whatever recipe you find works out great. Happy Valentine’s Day!

• 19 Alicia // Feb 13, 2009 at 10:58 pm

The key to a great pot pie is to use the chicken fat in the gravy. Shallots don’t hurt either. Happy valentine’s day!

• 20 Janice // Feb 13, 2009 at 11:32 pm

I second the Cooks Illustrated Version. The sauce is nice and flavourful, and it freezes and reheats great. i make them up individually and in 8 x 8 pans.

• 21 Susan // Feb 14, 2009 at 8:56 am

Another vote for the Barefoot Contessa pot pie. It’s fabulous!

• 22 KT // Feb 14, 2009 at 10:15 am

Last night I dreamed I was making pot pie, and trying to roll out stretchy bread dough thin like pie crust.

• 23 Ana // Feb 15, 2009 at 8:20 am

that’s exactly what i did this year- no gifts exchanged, just a day (or two) worth of cooking for an extravagant dinner in: homemade thyme crackers with local farmstand cheeses, pumpkin ravioli with sage-brown butter sauce, melted kale, and of course a giant dessert- chocolate blackout cake. it was all SO good, especially a cold slice of cake for breakfast with a cup of japanese green tea. (that way, it’s not unhealthy.)

hope you two enjoyed your meal.

• 24 Michele // Feb 15, 2009 at 4:36 pm

This pot pie is amazing: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/curry-chicken-pot-pie-recipe/index.html

• 25 stefanie // Feb 16, 2009 at 5:14 pm

btw, i was just at a tj’s in portland and the candy cane joes are now on sale for 99 cents a box – their my girlfriend’s favorites (well, anything chocolate mint is) and i picked up 3 boxes to last her a while. i heard it was b/c they have a best by date of end of march through mid-april and they don’t want to get stuck with them too long.