links: tech

Top 10 Free Blogging Platforms & Features For Web Designers at Specky Boy

I’m currently being tempted by the Roku player, though maybe it’s just a leftover desire from being snowed in this winter.

Questions about creating websites for small businesses. at Ask Metafilter

Twitteree Recommendations Wanted, a request from Kevin Kelly

Smarterware: Use your head (and great software). Via A Whole Lotta Nothing.

iPhone related:

iPhone CSS Design Gallery at Swiss Miss

Paper Pilot Review at Touch Arcade

Audioengine at Uncrate

Emergency Charger that uses regular batteries for those no-power situations, at Product Dose.

Google Book Search for the iPhone

WhatTheFont for the iPhone, at Swiss Miss.

· comments [7] · 02-11-2009 · categories:iphone · technology ·

• 1 april // Feb 11, 2009 at 11:41 am

we just hooked up the roku last night.
    so far so good. It was a totally pain in the butt to hook up but I think it had more to do with our router than the product. At anyrate, netflix was super helpful with all of it. I’ve only watched stuff with my 2 year old on it so far, but plan to give it a real run over the weekend.

• 2 Justin // Feb 11, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Megan, I know you like console games (not sure which platform you have) but xbox360 is able to utilize the netflix instant watch feature, and my other half has somehow managed to do the same with the PS3. If you have one of these two consols it might save on buying a new device ;)

• 3 Shannon // Feb 11, 2009 at 12:10 pm

or if you’re in the market for a Tivo HD, it also utilizes instant watch for Netflix. I also have an Apple TV that I looooove, and if you install Boxee (which is free) on it, its Netflix capability is supposed to start shortly.

• 4 megan // Feb 11, 2009 at 1:16 pm

April – Thanks for the update, I hope it works well for you!

Justin – Thanks! I’ve looked at the XBox360 option and you have to have a monthly Gold membership as well, and we probably would use the Gold membership for anything else so the cost of the Roku might make more sense in our case. I’ll have to look into the PS3 option though to see if that would weigh out.

Shannon – Thank you also, we have considered the HD option but right now we have a lifetime Tivo thing going on for our Series 2 so we’re reluctant to pay for a new Tivo and new Tivo service. Again here the Roku box makes more sense, especially considering we’d also have to pay for high def cable, etc etc.

What can I say? Cheap is currently winning out over quality at our house.

• 5 domestipithecus // Feb 11, 2009 at 1:40 pm

We have had the Roku for almost 2 months now. The only time we have issues is when Mr. Pithecus is working on the VPN while we are trying to watch it, but that is more a wireless bandwidth type problem.

We love it so far. Installation was virtually plug and play and we’ve already zoomed through the entire BBC series “Coupling” without any issues.

Rumor has it they will be adding amazon “view it now” rentals soon too. There is also talk of Hulu integration. I think it’s pretty awesome.

• 6 sogalitno // Feb 11, 2009 at 5:36 pm

ROKU ROCKS!

seriously – its easy peasy with a normal wireless – or if you have a network jack nearby you can wire it up. i love it to death. and soon AMAZON Video on Demand will be available too. (there are very different offerings between Netflix and Amazon)

i can’t wait for Amazon to kick in – its what cinched the deal for me to get it – it was my xmas present to myself.

am halfway thru the entire series of ALL CREATURES G… (yes i am an unabashed angolphile and want to live on the Yorkshire Dales…)

good luck

• 7 Dodi // Feb 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Love my Roku. Got it when they first released it because the instant watch feature was not mac compatible. Since the HD option was released the streaming quality has improved drastically.

Streaming quality decreases when I try to use my wireless laptop at same time. (Maybe I just have crappy bandwidth and only notice while streaming movies?)

Thanks to my Roku I know that Magnum P.I. stands the test of time, but Sliders doesn’t. Best $99 value around.