Readymade issue #38

I forgot to grab issue #38 of Readymade magazine, and now that Shelterrific has alerted me to the whole staff being ditched by the company that bought it last year I really, really want to get a hold of one as it might be one of the last good issues. Unfortunately issue 39 is already on the stands. Does anybody happen to have a copy of issue #38 (Dec 2008/Jan 2009) that you would sell to me?

· comments [26] · 02-10-2009 · categories:misc · mumbling ·

• 1 paola // Feb 10, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Oh, I didn’t see that about Ready Made – that’s terrible, I’ve only just got into it and it’s such a cool magazine. I think I’ve got that issue lying around. Let me check…

• 2 Sol // Feb 10, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Hi Megan, I’m sorry to hear this. A project I made is featured in the new issue of ReadyMade (feb-march), and the editors I came in contact with were already in Iowa back in November. I live in Italy and have never had an issue of RM in my hands, so I don’t know… but anyway, just to say, get a copy of issue 39 too :D

• 3 megan // Feb 10, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Sol – Congratulations on having a project in the magazine! I do already have #39, it doesn’t look suspiciously different so there might be hope.

• 4 Sol // Feb 10, 2009 at 12:53 pm

(my winerack, my son and I are on page 24) :)

• 5 kathryn harrison // Feb 10, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I have a copy you are very welcome to have. email your address and I will mail it to you.

• 6 Jamie // Feb 10, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I didn’t get Dec/Jan, either, and called to request one. Customer Service said they had some left and that they’d send me a copy, but instead I got a postcard the other day saying it’s now unavailable.

• 7 katieann // Feb 10, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Oh no! I literally just cut this magazine up within the last half an hour- trying to make room in my tiny apartment I’m eliminating magazines from my cramped bookshelves. I’m trying to not be a hoarder, but then this sort of sad announcement comes and makes me regret the little progress I’ve made!

I put the rest of the magazine in the coffeeshop recycle bin! I can send you the majority of the mag. I’ll run back and get it, although I doubt you want an incomplete issue :(

• 8 Ellen // Feb 10, 2009 at 1:31 pm

If you go to readymade.com, you can purchase #38. I just checked, and it has a link to “purchase this issue”.

• 9 jmanna // Feb 10, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I have a somewhat loved copy of this issue somewhere in the house. If you truly do want an issue, I could send it book service or postage due. It would take a while to get to you but you would get it. No need to buy it from me, I got it free using Coke Cola points.

• 10 Karen // Feb 10, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I do, and I’ll give it to you for free. Email me (karenbgarrett AT gmail DOT com) with your address.

• 11 jen t. // Feb 10, 2009 at 2:20 pm

hi all,

who’s up for some insider info? :)

i used to work at readymade, and sadly, everything you’ve heard {or read} is true. as of january 8, 2009, editorial production of the magazine has been moved to iowa, and the entire creative staff is being replaced. readymade *will* continue to publish, but i wouldn’t be surprised if issue 40 {april/may 2009} arrives late due to the transition. so if you’re a subscriber, please keep that in mind.

issue 39 {feb/march 2009, which is currently on stands} is the last issue completed by the “original” staff in the berkeley office. we finished it right before christmas, so it was out the door before the axe came down on us in january. if you ask me, it’s totally worth picking up – there are some great entertaining ideas in there, plus beautiful project how-tos {including an amazing glass chandelier and winter scarves made out of repurposed and dyed shirts and sweaters}. and of course there’s the lovely, lovely, lovely, wine rack-and-chalkboard combo that sol mentions above. seriously, it’s so cool! {and sol, you’re the first person to ever have contributed from italy, so huzzah for that!}

for those of you who are trying not to bring physical mags home, check out coverleaf.com. you can subscribe to readymade digitally, and you can even purchase individual back issues in a digital format. the upside is that they are available immediately. it’s not the same as flipping through an actual magazine, i know, but hey – it’s something.

i’m not sure when the ‘ReadyMade Store’ section of readymade.com will be up and running again, so i can’t speak to how smoothly things will go if you try to purchase a back issue through the site. to be honest, though, i’m not sure i’d recommend it. not right now at least.

and megan, i’m sure i’ve got an extra copy of issue 38 in my stacks, so let me know if you still need one and i’ll send it your way!

as for what issue 40 will hold, your guess is as good as mine. we started it but didn’t get to finish it; i don’t even know what the stories i wrote will end up looking like.

even though i’m bitter as hell, i’m curious to see what readymade will be come…

cheers,
    jen

• 12 megan // Feb 10, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Jen – Thanks so much for the insider information, and I’m sorry to hear that it all went down so dramatically. I think I found a copy of the magazine, but I’ll contact you if I still cannot find one. Thanks for letting us know about cloverleaf.com!

• 13 Sol // Feb 10, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Hi Jen, thanks a lot. I thought you guys were already in Des Moines back in November (I assumed this because of my geeky husband noticed some traffic coming from an internet server there…)

Anyway, I really hope that future is bright for you. It was lovely contributing with ReadyMade. Pity it’s not distributed in Italy!!!

• 14 Jen // Feb 10, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I have a copy and you are welcome to it.

• 15 neonfoxtongue // Feb 11, 2009 at 8:14 am

So ReadyMade might be losing its coolness factor and as of today, Craft mag (print) is no more. Is there anything left worth subscribing to in the DIY/craft publishing world?

• 16 Cakespy // Feb 11, 2009 at 8:34 am

Wow, the whole staff being ditched. And Like a few others before me, I just read about Craft Magazine. It’s interesting to see how media is changing. I wonder if it’s for the better.

• 17 NiNi // Feb 11, 2009 at 9:38 am

How sad to lose Ready Made and Craft at the same time!
    I am wondering, too, if there are any other good mags out there that are similar.

Maybe we should start one!

• 18 Carrie // Feb 11, 2009 at 10:19 am

Wow, I’ve never seen an issue of Readymade anywhere. Where do you find it? I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen it at my local Barnes & Noble because I usually scour the craft section. Anyone in NoVA or DC know where to find it?

An aside: the new issue of Publisher’s Weekly has a cover story on “The Art of Crafts in Tough Times”. Apparently publishers think this section will be fine regardless of the economy. Now if we can just get our public libraries to order more craft books!

• 19 Jennifer // Feb 11, 2009 at 11:38 am

Jen – Thanks so much for the inside info. I am so pissed. I can’t imagine the mag without the creative crew, particularly its founders. I am much more interested in what YOU all will do as opposed to the magazine.

• 20 Susie // Feb 11, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Jen, thanks for the insider information. I am absolutely furious about this. I can’t even see straight, I’m so mad. Readymade is the only magazine I get. I’ve even paid full retail price since issue 9, that’s how much I loved this mag. I’ve also noticed that the website hasn’t been updated in a lonnnnggg time. How long before they shelve the whole thing? If they are willing to ditch the entire staff, the very people like you and Shoshanna who made it so unique and different from what’s out there now, then what value will they place in keeping the magazine close to its fundamentals?

Carrie, Readymade is never shelved with the craft mags at B&N. Look in the Design or Lifestyle areas and usually towards the back shelves in those areas.

Crap, looks like I need to pick up the last edition of Craft magazine now

• 21 Sarah // Feb 11, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Gosh, I didn’t realize that about ReadyMade or Craft. It feels like the media world is going to hell in a handbasket. What will spring up in the ruins?

• 22 Susan // Feb 11, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Ugh! I hadn’t heard about Craft. That breaks my heart.

• 23 kat // Feb 12, 2009 at 10:23 pm

HUGE bummer about readymade! ugh.

i also have a copy of 38 and i’m happy to snail mail it. let me know!

• 24 Myra Greenlee // Feb 18, 2009 at 2:15 pm

I have that issue. Would you like to email me you address and I’ll send you my copy?

• 25 What a Crazy Week « Paper Clips and Play Pens // Feb 20, 2009 at 9:22 am

[...] from them in the future. You can check out the info I found on the subject at the following links: Not Martha Meredith Dumps Ready-Made Creative Team [...]

• 26 heather // Feb 23, 2009 at 9:15 am

oh so sad…i just started a subscription of readymade…