Orka spatula

While I’m talking about kitchen stuff this week I will also tell you about my favorite spatula. I have a bunch of spatulas in my kitchen including a Chef’n Switchit, one of the substantial Williams-Sonoma silicone spatulas, one of those KitchenAid mixer-shaped spatulas and various orange generic spatulas but the one that I consistently reach for is a small Orka all-purpose spatula. It’s got the killer combination of being seamless silicone with a sturdy embedded metal handle, not too floppy on the end and really really easy to clean because you can just drop it in the dishwasher without worrying over hurting a wooden handle. It recently met with a food processor blade (sob, also, duh) so I went back to buy another and discovered they also offer a larger spatula and spoonula, silicone turner and slotted turner and a wide fish turner. Now, if only they still made them all in orange.

· comments [16] · 01-29-2009 · categories:food · shopping ·

• 1 paola // Jan 29, 2009 at 11:03 am

That’s a GREAT photo… and I think the blue looks good with the orange. I am extremely in love with my Le Creuset spatulas, which do come in orange I believe…

• 2 knitopia // Jan 29, 2009 at 11:54 am

I just bought this one but haven’t used it yet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ILRG5I If it’s not a keeper I’ll come back to this post for guidance!

• 3 Susan Gibbs // Jan 29, 2009 at 12:17 pm

I am all the time talking about how I want a spatula that’s not to floppy at the end and people look at me like I’m nuts.

• 4 Susan Gibbs // Jan 29, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Oops! to=too

• 5 Nana // Jan 29, 2009 at 1:14 pm

i use some generic ones and it never really occurred to me that there could be a better or a worse one. i’m quite happy with the way mine work, but next time i need one, i’ll know what to look for!

• 6 Rebecca // Jan 29, 2009 at 1:43 pm

It’s not orange but I recently purchased this amazing spatula/scraper from Crate and Barrel http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=744&f=27130&q=scrape&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1 and it didn’t leave a drop of batter behind when I made this dessert http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2009/01/thaaank-you-betty.html .

• 7 michelle ellis // Jan 29, 2009 at 2:05 pm

That is MY favorite spatula as well!!! Mine is yellow. I Love Love Love it. I know it’s kind of goofy to get all that excited over a kitchen item but it is fabulous!

• 8 cindy // Jan 29, 2009 at 4:09 pm

The giant Rubbermaid spatula recommended by CI is on my kitchen wish list. But I just can’t justify spending so much on a spatula!

• 9 MsGourmet // Jan 29, 2009 at 5:11 pm

i went on a spatula frenzy a couple of years ago after throwing out all my daggy wooden spoons! must say i really *love* the red le cresuet ones ;o)

• 10 Tracy // Jan 29, 2009 at 6:04 pm

I have to disagree about the Le Creuset spatulas. While beautiful (the only utensils I keep on our limited counter space), every single head (?) has fallen of the handle; hence, when I wash them I have to dismantle the handle from head or else water seeps under the head and rots the wood underneath. What a major pain and bummer.

Anyone else have this issue and/or a solution?

• 11 kickpleat // Jan 29, 2009 at 9:50 pm

My favorite kitchen tool is my pink Chef’n Switchit spatula!

• 12 herschel // Jan 30, 2009 at 6:08 am

yes Yes YES! this is an excellent example of form + function!

i use a children’s spatula from williams-sonoma with the same features — seamless silicone, embedded metal, not too floppy, not too stiff. the “real, adult” spatulas have all the downsides and no good sides — wood handle, silicone head falls off, prone to bacteria, both too stiff AND too floppy. GAH!

• 13 paola // Jan 30, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Tracy, I’ve got two Le Creuset ones which I use all the time and stick in the dishwasher and have never had that problem… what a shame…

• 14 Dawn // Jan 30, 2009 at 9:45 pm

I randomly found a bunch of Orka spatulas at Marshall’s today! They had mostly red (my fav color) and I got the spatula you like, a spoonula, and a slotted flipper thingy($4-5 each). YAY! Thanks for the tip.

• 15 QuickReadsBlog.com - Give Your Kitchen a Facelift — on a Budget // Mar 13, 2009 at 8:42 am

[...] Orka spatula (notmartha.org) [...]

• 16 Secret Knitting Part One – Doctor Who Dishcloths // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:14 pm

[...] Who dishcloths as I know Megan is a fan.  The colour scheme was chosen to coordinate with their spatulas. The patterns for the Dalek and Tardis dishcloths were found on Ravelry of course, though I had to [...]