Breville Variable Temperature Kettle

Breville has come out with a variable temperature electric kettle with five temperature settings — 175F for Green Tea, 185F for White Tea, 195F for Oolong Tea, 200F for French Press, and 212F for boiling and black tea. It also includes a Hold Temperature feature that will keep the water at a desired temperature for twenty minutes. I have the regular Breville Electric Kettle and I really like it, we use it daily and haven’t had any problems at all. I like it well enough that I’m not quite hoping it will break so we have an excuse to buy the variable temperature version.

· comments [17] · 01-27-2009 · categories:food · shopping ·

• 1 Laurie // Jan 27, 2009 at 1:09 pm

How awesome, maybe my electric kettle will break too so I can get this one!

• 2 herschel // Jan 27, 2009 at 1:56 pm

good luck with the breakage. i’ve had my breville blender for two years; used it for soups, smoothies, sugar, nuts, random chopping i am too lazy to do by hand and it is STILL fine. maybe i will put some rocks in it.

• 3 shelle // Jan 27, 2009 at 3:17 pm

That kettle has been on my wish list for some time. Although I will admit that I cannot tell the difference in the tea when brewed at the wrong temp. I am pretty fond of my old bodem kettle.

• 4 MamaLana // Jan 27, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Keeping water at the desired temperature for 20 minutes IS NOT LONG ENOUGH. Twenty minutes? I want it to stay on for several hours. Everyone’s too quick with the “atomatic shutoff” feature these days.

• 5 Karen D. // Jan 27, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I just recently purchased the regular Breville Electric Kettle at Crate and Barrel and absolutely LOVE it! After leaving several stove top kettles boil dry over the years I was sold on the original Breville kettle. One button is fine by me although I can see the appeal for the company to keep it’s customers wanting for more. My favorite feature is the auto shut off. In my opinion the water stays at a pretty good temperature even after the auto shut off. Besides, the conduction base to heat and reheat is lightning fast!
    No more near miss house fires here!

• 6 Mitzi Zohar // Jan 27, 2009 at 5:00 pm

That is brilliant! I love it when manufacturers create something that I want/need before I’ve even been able to put that desire into words. I wonder if it’s available in Canada? Not that I can justify replacing my perfectly good kettle. But brilliance deserves to be rewarded.

• 7 floridagal // Jan 27, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Until this week, I never heard of Breville before. Must be living under a rock. Then I got my Williams Sonoma catalog, and am drooling over the Breville Countertop Convection Oven. Its great to hear they make a quality product. The reviews on the WS website for the oven are outstanding.

I’m so tempted!!

• 8 YC in Seattle // Jan 27, 2009 at 9:20 pm

For a cheaper variable-temperature kettle, there’s the utiliTEA from Adagio Teas. It has a continuous adjustable knob for everything from green tea to boiling. I think it’s the cheapest electric variable temperature kettle on the market. Mine’s a year old, reasonable use, still going strong. The only complaint is that the knob is a bit fiddly, but everything else is nice and sturdy.

• 9 Tea kettles: No longer only in Canada « Dana McCauley’s food blog // Jan 28, 2009 at 4:34 am

[...] to add:  I just saw this post on Not Martha which features a supremo kettle that has temperature settings for different kinds of [...]

• 10 Want vs. needs « Dog Ball Hysterics // Jan 28, 2009 at 5:44 am

[...] I see this comparison of stovetop vs. electric, and this post about a variable temp electric kettle. That is a thing of beauty, is it [...]

• 11 melanie watts // Jan 28, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Seams stupid too me. Isn’t the whole point of tea to use freshly boiled water drawn cold from the tap, and boil it fresh every time you make a new pot. As for boiling the water too a different temperature depending on the type of tea, I’ve never heard of that. It sounds like a marketing gimmick.

• 12 Ana // Jan 28, 2009 at 6:25 pm

if you found yourself someplace without a stovetop, this would definitely come in handy.

i know i’m old-fashioned, but i prefer just heating my water for tea in a pot on the stove, and using my finger to test the temperature- and if it really burns, it’s too hot for the green tea. you get pretty good at gauging it with an incentive like that, let me tell you.

• 13 Erin // Jan 28, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Hi, I didn’t bother checking if someone already said this but this kettle could also be used to make coffee using the Aeropress coffeemaker. Just google Aeropress and it should come up with their website which, last I checked, has a video of how you make awesome coffee/expresso/cappacino with it. It calls for water at 175 degrees. Comes out very tasty, no bitterness at all. One more thing before I go: get a frother ($2) from Ikea and you will have a professional cappacino or expresso or coffee.

• 14 megan // Jan 29, 2009 at 8:47 am

Melanie – I’ve long hear that you shouldn’t pour boiling water over green tea, that it should be just off the boil. This kettle isn’t the first with variable temperatures and people seem to appreciate not having to keep such a close eye on the water.

Ana – For me it’s all about the automatic shut off, I’ve been known to boil kettles dry on the stovetop and after one too many close calls I declared that the auto shut off was a necessary safety feature.

• 15 Kacey // Jan 31, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Breville has the best products! I just splurged on a one-cup coffee maker.

• 16 Kathy // Sep 12, 2009 at 10:32 am

Great comments. Good reviews and some bad on various sites for this kettle but note that a big concern no one addressed yet is the PLASTIC in this and other kettles … once heated, plastic leaches harmful chemicals into the water and even a plastic lid is a concern. If anyone finds an electric kettle with no plastic but both temperature guage and water amount indicator, would love to hear about it! This one almost makes the grade but not if you are concerned about plastics. And YES there is definately different water temps for teas… not just green and definately not a marketing gag.

• 17 chris // Mar 16, 2010 at 10:17 am

Unfortunately the lid and viewing window of the Breville kettle contain BPA (the plastic is polycarbonate). I confirmed this directly with Breville.

Additionally, the utiliTEA viewing window also contains BPA (the plastic is polycarbonate). I confirmed this with Adagio.